Beyond Good & Evil 2 Spared In Ubisoft Cancelation Spree

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Beyond Good & Evil 2 Spared In Ubisoft Cancelation Spree

Don't fret over all those games Ubisoft canceled yesterday. You never knew about them anyway.

As we reported yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109986-Ubisoft-Cancels-a-Bunch-of-Games-Gets-PC-Centric], Ubisoft's latest financial filings include word that a number of upcoming titles have been canceled in reaction to what the publisher calls "major changes in the industry." Fear immediately set in amongst Ubisoft devotees, hoping against hope that long-awaited games like I Am Alive and the mysterious Beyond Good & Evil 2 somehow escaped the axe.

Fortunately, it appears that none of the canceled games had ever been revealed to the public. "Terminated projects were unannounced projects," an Ubisoft spokesman told Eurogamer.

Unfortunately however, when pressed on the nebulous status of I Am Alive and Beyond Good & Evil 2 the Ubisoft representative remained coy. "We have nothing new to report on those two titles for the moment," he said.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to an adventure game that went unappreciated in its own time. Though far from a financial success, the game has more recently developed into something of a cult-classic. Outside of teaser trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91600-Possible-Beyond-Good-Evil-2-Footage-Leaks], any actual information regarding BG&E2 has been scant at best, leading many fans to fear that development could cease at any moment.

Likewise disaster survival game I Am Alive has spent the last few years in limbo. Following its 2008 debut, the game switched developers then virtually vanished. The last we heard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107431-I-Am-Alive-Coming-This-Year-Exclusively-Digital-UPDATED], it was still in development but beyond that, Ubisoft remains stoic.

As for market oversaturation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109718-New-Assassins-Creed-Revelations-Teaser-Hints-at-Ancient-Greece] can possibly kill it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-ubisoft-i-am-alive-and-bg-and-e2-safe]

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Still haven't played the first one. Should probably get around to doing that.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Hurray! This keeps me happy, now if only more people play it and make it successful.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I don't understand why companies flat out refuse to talk about projects for years on end. Are they trying to piss off their fans?

But it's good we don't loose anything.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Good... Very good...

http://www.trangtriblog.com/avatar/movies/Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Thank goodness. Now, we need some news on BGE2...its been AGES since that orgasmic teaser. Please....ubisoft? :'|

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
new info on beyond good and evil 2 would be nice come on ubisoft throw us a bone will ya

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
That is good... Kind of. While it does mean that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development (yay!) it also means that Call of Juarez: The Cartel is too (boo!). I guess it can't all be good news...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
No. 1 is in my list of games to play once exams are over. Unforunately, so is New Vegas, Deathspank, Mirror's Edge, Civ 5, Brink, KOTOR, Portal 2, The Witcher, Monkey Island 2, Torchlight, Gears o...

Yeah, I've got a big backlog to get through.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Andronicus said:
No. 1 is in my list of games to play once exams are over. Unforunately, so is New Vegas, Deathspank, Mirror's Edge, Civ 5, Brink, KOTOR, Portal 2, The Witcher, Monkey Island 2, Torchlight, Gears o...

I bought Beyond Good and Evil many years ago. It sits on my 'to be played' shelf and it never seems to get to the front of the queue. The queue doesn't seem to be getting any shorter either.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, I think this is deserving of 10 minutes of adorable cheering!

<youtube=8sPwM3guang>

Thank you, Ubisoft. You had me terrified for a while there. If you canceled Beyond Good and Evil 2, I could not be held responsible for my reaction. Thank you for not sucking.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
MrGFunk said:
Andronicus said:

I bought Beyond Good and Evil many years ago. It sits on my 'to be played' shelf and it never seems to get to the front of the queue. The queue doesn't seem to be getting any shorter either.
Seriously, both of you, bump it up. It'll only take a little under 10 hours, and it's freaking awesome. Just do it.

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
Thaius said:
MrGFunk said:
Andronicus said:

Seriously, both of you, bump it up. It'll only take a little under 10 hours, and it's freaking awesome. Just do it.
Definitely bring it to the front of you list, I had it sitting a shelf for a while too, but once I started I didn't play anything else until I completed it. The final boss is a bit of a sod.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Thaius said:
MrGFunk said:
It's tough, I'm about to start Portal 2 Co-op. Still playing New Vegas which, in turn, bumped Uncharted 2. Ten hours though - pretty convincing.

I like that the sequel to a game which came out 8 years ago has a following. There's always hope for another Timesplitters game. Here's hoping.

G Skunk

Apr 19, 2010
Finally. Nice to see some good news on this site once in a while. While Beyond Good & Evil 2 has been the object of my unhealthy longing since 2008, I'm also glad to see that I Am Alive hasn't been blasted away. I can guarantee that it isn't going to be any sort of mainstream success because the trailer didn't exhibit guns OR titties, but it definitely has my attention.

As for Ezio's Creed: Give Us Money, I don't think it even needed mention that the latest annual entry of Ubisoft's biggest, soul-crushing cash cow didn't get the axe, though I kinda wish it would if only to see a resolution to Desmond's story without further pointless delay.