BF3 free on origin until june 3

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
the lastest title in the "on the house" promotion from EA, i admit i finally bit, i just installed origin and im now downloading BF3, i still feel dirty, but atleast im not giving money to EA i guess, and if BF3 is as terrible as im expecting it to be i can uninstall it and origin and stop feeling bad

i hate EA with my entire soul, but i must admit this "on the house" promotion thing is very decent, competition is a great thing indeed

i cant believe the kind of games ive gotten for free on PC lately, first dungeon keeper, then red orchestra 2 and now BF3

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
BF3 is fun, lots of fun. At least, I enjoyed the crap out of it on 360. My brother already has Origin installed on his PC so maybe I'll get to play if he ever comes out of his room.

I personally just stay out if the EA hate bandwagons. They have some shoddy business practices, sure, but they've made some really great games, and that's really all I care about. Having fun, I guess. I dislike them to so extent, but these are just games, no need to take them 'too' seriously.

That being said, I will check out the PC version. 60FPS, I can feel you already.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Battlefield 3 is free!!!!

It requires Origin!?

No thanks! Suffering through Origin isn't worth it.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
That's cool and all, somehow I doubt that includes premium/maps. Still its a nice gesture even if I have already played BF3 to death.

I did appreciate the Dead Space giveaway a while back as it is not a series I would pick up on my own but I will actually have a chance to get to it now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

I'll actually pass on this, just because I don't like modern warfare shooters. I'm still pleased as punch about getting Plants vs Zombies for free.

Hmm, I wonder if I'll see any unexpected comments in this thread. (The answer is no, no one has a damn thing new to say, but they'll keep on saying it anyways.)

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I got plants vs zombies too, and have had origin for a few years now. Not a big deal, people. They're actually offering a great thing with on the house. EA itself might still be shitty, but origin is no worse than steam.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I'll jump in on that.

AHEM.... I THINK ORIGIN IS BETTER THAN STEAM. IT'S SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, WORKS PERFECTLY AND HAS INCREDIBLY GOOD DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. AND IT ISN'T BLOATED WITH SHOVELWARE AND SHIT FEATURES LIKE STEAM. ALSO THE UI IS MUCH BETTER.

Anyway, I already own Battlefield 3, but this is a cool gesture nonetheless. I'm more of a Bad Company fan myself though, these latest Battlefield games just aren't doing it for me.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Already been downloading it for a while now, was also nice for them to remind me that I can still pick up PVZ for free also.

Combine that with my free Deadspace I acquired a while back and their On the House program is working really well for me for games that I actually want/played on consoles prior, with that said I will look forward to jumping back into BF3, I last played it back in 2011 on the 360 and was a bit miffed about the bugs here and there but what put me off from then until now was the "rent a server" where most EA servers were rented out to absolute children who winged and cried when people played the game normally and broke their "rules" while they themselves broke them anyway, it was chaotic back then.

I also just realised that I uninstalled my old Titanfall Beta files, the game was uninstalled from my PC and they even gave me the option to perma hide what was left from my library, something I've yet to see STeam do since I already have quite a few uninstalled games that I no longer ever want to see in my library ever again since I can't see myself getting money back from them after this long.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
alphamalet said:
Battlefield 3 is free!!!!

It requires Origin!?

No thanks! Suffering through Origin isn't worth it.
haha my feelings exactly

Liquidprid3 said:
BF3 is fun, lots of fun. At least, I enjoyed the crap out of it on 360. My brother already has Origin installed on his PC so maybe I'll get to play if he ever comes out of his room.

I personally just stay out if the EA hate bandwagons. They have some shoddy business practices, sure, but they've made some really great games, and that's really all I care about. Having fun, I guess. I dislike them to so extent, but these are just games, no need to take them 'too' seriously.

That being said, I will check out the PC version. 60FPS, I can feel you already.
i cant deny EA makes some good games, but honestly they set so many awful trends on this industry that out of moral principles i cant support em, because i know they are the minds behind so much shit i hate and im going to hate in the future

that EA logo is basically the only reason i havent gotten into mass effect or dragon age origins, despite being titles that interest me, but hey, maybe theyll be on the house in the future

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Already been downloading it for a while now, was also nice for them to remind me that I can still pick up PVZ for free also.

Combine that with my free Deadspace I acquired a while back and their On the House program is working really well for me for games that I actually want/played on consoles prior, with that said I will look forward to jumping back into BF3, I last played it back in 2011 on the 360 and was a bit miffed about the bugs here and there but what put me off from then until now was the "rent a server" where most EA servers were rented out to absolute children who winged and cried when people played the game normally and broke their "rules" while they themselves broke them anyway, it was chaotic back then.

I also just realised that I uninstalled my old Titanfall Beta files, the game was uninstalled from my PC and they even gave me the option to perma hide what was left from my library, something I've yet to see STeam do since I already have quite a few uninstalled games that I no longer ever want to see in my library ever again since I can't see myself getting money back from them after this long.
well you can ask steam support to delete those games from your library, i know for a fact that works, but well, steam support, it takes time

ShinyCharizard said:
I'll jump in on that.

AHEM.... I THINK ORIGIN IS BETTER THAN STEAM. IT'S SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, WORKS PERFECTLY AND HAS INCREDIBLY GOOD DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. AND IT ISN'T BLOATED WITH SHOVELWARE AND SHIT FEATURES LIKE STEAM. ALSO THE UI IS MUCH BETTER.

Anyway, I already own Battlefield 3, but this is a cool gesture nonetheless. I'm more of a Bad Company fan myself though, these latest Battlefield games just aren't doing it for me.
i dont see the download speed being any better, these damn 20 GB are going to take 2 days atleast

you can argue it has less shovelware, but it simply has less of everything, less games, less genres, I MEAN I THINK WE CAN ALL PRETTY MUCH AGREE A DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM IN WHICH YOU CANT PLAY FTL IS A TERRIBLE PLATFORM BASICALLY

also i dont know what shit features you are talking about dude, i mean look at this origin thing, only 2 tabs, "my games" and "store", is laughable, wheres the trading?, wheres the market? wheres the workshop? can you even see community screenshots in this thing?

i dunno you but i love trading and downloading mods for my games with a single press of a button

but well each on his own i guess... you are still like 7 different types of wrong tough

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Oh boy. BF3 isn't a particularly newbie-friendly game (steep learning curve) so I hope the upcoming waves of newbies don't get too pissed off by veterans stomping them :S
The vehicle vs infantry balance in BF3 heavily favors vehicles and a pro Tank/IFV driver or Heli/Jet pilot can be almost unstoppable depending on map.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This site and the unwarranted hate of Origin is baffling to me sometimes. First, Origin isn't that bad. It doesn't hack your personal files and send it to companies. It's just like steam with a slightly confusing interface. I've had no problems with it other than having games installed in Japanese, which is because of a setting I have. Second, yeah they don't have as many sales as steam, but let's remember that Origin only sells EA games. That's a decent sized library, but nowhere near the size of steam's. But it is filled with less shovelware.

If you want to play BF3, just get this. Put down your tin foil hat and get off the Origin hate train. EA does a lot of questionable shit, but Origin is one of the better things about them.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elfgore said:
This site and the unwarranted hate of Origin is baffling to me sometimes. First, Origin isn't that bad. It doesn't hack your personal files and send it to companies. It's just like steam with a slightly confusing interface. I've had no problems with it other than having games installed in Japanese, which is because of a setting I have. Second, yeah they don't have as many sales as steam, but let's remember that Origin only sells EA games. That's a decent sized library, but nowhere near the size of steam's. But it is filled with less shovelware.

If you want to play BF3, just get this. Put down your tin foil hat and get off the Origin hate train. EA does a lot of questionable shit, but Origin is one of the better things about them.
is not so much about Origin being bad as it is about Origin being inferior to Steam in almost every conceivable way and is even inferior to gog

personally i hadnt touched origin up to this point out of sheer principle of not buying any more EA games, so Origin is almost pointless to me

also technically Origin also sells Ubisoft games

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

is not so much about Origin being bad as it is about Origin being inferior to Steam in almost every conceivable way and is even inferior to gog

personally i hadnt touched origin up to this point out of sheer principle of not buying any more EA games, so Origin is almost pointless to me

Well, the first part of your post is just nothing but pure opinion. But hey, we can have opinions. Let's just not use them as facts.

This is cool to me. I don't look down on those who boycott companies, it's your money and life. I can't tell you how to live it. But I don't know how I could survive without The Sims or Mass Effect.

I wasn't aware of this, but that does increase their library considerably.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elfgore said:
Well, the first part of your post is just nothing but pure opinion. But hey, we can have opinions. Let's just not use them as facts.

This is cool to me. I don't look down on those who boycott companies, it's your money and life. I can't tell you how to live it. But I don't know how I could survive without The Sims or Mass Effect.

3 words: trading, marketplace and workshop

tell me those steam features arent awesome

i honestly truthly want to play some EA games, but every time i see what that disgusting company does to this industry, i simply say "not worth it", besides i personally would feel like a huge hypocrite if i critized EA constantly and still gave them money

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

I have to agree with Elfgore here. I used to not use Origin out of sheer spite, since I'm not a huge fan of EA and some of their business practices. These days however I'll happily use it, hell personally I think the interface is better than Steam's. It also loads faster for me than Steam ever does. It would be convenient to have all my games in one place, but I'm willing to put up with having two clients if they both have games I desire for reasonable prices.

And sure they don't have many sales, but I picked up Mass Effect 3 about a month ago for $7.50 (AUD). That is a good deal if I ever saw one.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Drummodino said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

I have to agree with Elfgore here. I used to not use Origin out of sheer spite, since I'm not a huge fan of EA and some of their business practices. These days however I'll happily use it, hell personally I think the interface is better than Steam's. It also loads faster for me than Steam ever does. It would be convenient to have all my games in one place, but I'm willing to put up with having two clients if they both have games I desire for reasonable prices.

And sure they don't have many sales, but I picked up Mass Effect 3 about a month ago for $7.50 (AUD). That is a good deal if I ever saw one.
im using the Origin client right now, i dont see whats so special about it, it is less cluttered, but thats simply because it has much less features, 2 tabs, pff

ill give them credit on their storefront tough, is better designed that Uplay's, has many more games on it, altough a ton of them are DLCs

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
im using the Origin client right now, i dont see whats so special about it, it is less cluttered, but thats simply because it has much less features, 2 tabs, pff

ill give them credit on their storefront tough, is better designed that Uplay's, has many more games on it, altough a ton of them are DLCs
I like the aesthetic, the colour scheme is bright and pleasing and the large and obvious buttons are nice. The overall layout is intuitive and easy to use as well. Also them load times. It's like I'm using a browser, pages load almost instantaneously.

Steam on the other hand takes several seconds to load anything at the very least and the aesthetic is just not very interesting. Dull black and tiny text is not appealing. I still think Steam is the superior platform in terms of content, but Origin is nicer to use for me.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

3 words: trading, marketplace and workshop

tell me those steam features arent awesome

i honestly truthly want to play some EA games, but every time i see what that disgusting company does to this industry, i simply say "not worth it", besides i personally would feel like a huge hypocrite if i critized EA constantly and still gave them money
I'll admit to being a frequent user of workshop, but I've never touched trading or marketplace. Just seemed tedious to me. I imagine that sometime in the near future, Origin will implement a workshop like function. We have to remember Steam has a big head start against Origin. Time to fine-tune things that Origins has not. Origin also seems to lack easily moddable games like Civilization, Bethesda titles, and Total War.

That's understandable. I don't care for EA's practices either, but when it comes down to it. I rather just play a fun game, even if it does make me hypocrite.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
NuclearKangaroo said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I'll jump in on that.

i dont see the download speed being any better, these damn 20 GB are going to take 2 days atleast

you can argue it has less shovelware, but it simply has less of everything, less games, less genres, I MEAN I THINK WE CAN ALL PRETTY MUCH AGREE A DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM IN WHICH YOU CANT PLAY FTL IS A TERRIBLE PLATFORM BASICALLY

also i dont know what shit features you are talking about dude, i mean look at this origin thing, only 2 tabs, "my games" and "store", is laughable, wheres the trading?, wheres the market? wheres the workshop? can you even see community screenshots in this thing?

i dunno you but i love trading and downloading mods for my games with a single press of a button

but well each on his own i guess... you are still like 7 different types of wrong tough
FTL on a digital distribution platform?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Real men buy that game straight from the creator, I don't need no digital distribution platform for my FTL fix.

As for Origins features, Games and Store is all I want. The simpler it is the better. I don't use any of Steams features, and their workshop system is vastly inferior to using the various mod nexus sites.