BF3 free on origin until june 3

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Drummodino said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
im using the Origin client right now, i dont see whats so special about it, it is less cluttered, but thats simply because it has much less features, 2 tabs, pff

ill give them credit on their storefront tough, is better designed that Uplay's, has many more games on it, altough a ton of them are DLCs
I like the aesthetic, the colour scheme is bright and pleasing and the large and obvious buttons are nice. The overall layout is intuitive and easy to use as well. Also them load times. It's like I'm using a browser, pages load almost instantaneously.

Steam on the other hand takes several seconds to load anything at the very least and the aesthetic is just not very interesting. Dull black and tiny text is not appealing. I still think Steam is the superior platform in terms of content, but Origin is nicer to use for me.
those are very valid points, steam is slow and it seems origin is a bit faster, also i like the birghter colors as well, but then again i could download a skin for steam to solve that

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elfgore said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:
Well, the first part of your post is just nothing but pure opinion. But hey, we can have opinions. Let's just not use them as facts.

This is cool to me. I don't look down on those who boycott companies, it's your money and life. I can't tell you how to live it. But I don't know how I could survive without The Sims or Mass Effect.

I wasn't aware of this, but that does increase their library considerably.
3 words: trading, marketplace and workshop

tell me those steam features arent awesome

i honestly truthly want to play some EA games, but every time i see what that disgusting company does to this industry, i simply say "not worth it", besides i personally would feel like a huge hypocrite if i critized EA constantly and still gave them money
I'll admit to being a frequent user of workshop, but I've never touched trading or marketplace. Just seemed tedious to me. I imagine that sometime in the near future, Origin will implement a workshop like function. We have to remember Steam has a big head start against Origin. Time to fine-tune things that Origins has not. Origin also seems to lack easily moddable games like Civilization, Bethesda titles, and Total War.

That's understandable. I don't care for EA's practices either, but when it comes down to it. I rather just play a fun game, even if it does make me hypocrite.
EA could start by stop assuming all modders are idiots and make Battlefield moddable, just saiyan

i guess your last point is also a valid way to look at things, but well like i said, its just how i feel

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
those are very valid points, steam is slow and it seems origin is a bit faster, also i like the birghter colors as well, but then again i could download a skin for steam to solve that
Huh, I'm glad we agree then. See Origin isn't all that bad :p

Also you can download skins for Steam? I know you can get backgrounds for your profile but I didn't know about skins for the entire client.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
ShinyCharizard said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I'll jump in on that.

AHEM.... I THINK ORIGIN IS BETTER THAN STEAM. IT'S SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, WORKS PERFECTLY AND HAS INCREDIBLY GOOD DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. AND IT ISN'T BLOATED WITH SHOVELWARE AND SHIT FEATURES LIKE STEAM. ALSO THE UI IS MUCH BETTER.

Anyway, I already own Battlefield 3, but this is a cool gesture nonetheless. I'm more of a Bad Company fan myself though, these latest Battlefield games just aren't doing it for me.
i dont see the download speed being any better, these damn 20 GB are going to take 2 days atleast

you can argue it has less shovelware, but it simply has less of everything, less games, less genres, I MEAN I THINK WE CAN ALL PRETTY MUCH AGREE A DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM IN WHICH YOU CANT PLAY FTL IS A TERRIBLE PLATFORM BASICALLY

also i dont know what shit features you are talking about dude, i mean look at this origin thing, only 2 tabs, "my games" and "store", is laughable, wheres the trading?, wheres the market? wheres the workshop? can you even see community screenshots in this thing?

i dunno you but i love trading and downloading mods for my games with a single press of a button

but well each on his own i guess... you are still like 7 different types of wrong tough
FTL on a digital distribution platform?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Real men buy that game straight from the creator, I don't need no digital distribution platform for my FTL fix.

As for Origins features, Games and Store is all I want. The simpler it is the better. I don't use any of Steams features, and their workshop system is vastly inferior to using the various mod nexus sites.
does your "creator" give you steam trading cards? huh? HUH!?

i didnt think so!

the workshop is inferior but its simpler, it works for me, i love modding but i hate doing all the work just to get dem mods running

i prefer a more feature rich platform, i feel like i get more bang for my buck that way

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Drummodino said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Huh, I'm glad we agree then. See Origin isn't all that bad :p

Also you can download skins for Steam? I know you can get backgrounds for your profile but I didn't know about skins for the entire client.
yup, thats totally a thing

http://skinyoursteam.com/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161035

ive seen some very professionally made before i cant remember where tough

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:

Awesome! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Drummodino said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Awesome! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
this old steam forums thread has some good ones

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161035

the "air" skin might be particulary up your alley

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Picked it up, and waiting until next week to install it. I might get those 20GB fast enough that I can still shut down the PC before heading off home for the weekend, but too much of a gamble.

Should a noob play through campaign or jump straight to deep end?

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
Shortly after the last Sims fiasco, I made an oath to never have any interaction with EA's latest games or their digital distribution service. This oath still stands!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I'll actually pass on this, just because I don't like modern warfare shooters. I'm still pleased as punch about getting Plants vs Zombies for free.

Hmm, I wonder if I'll see any unexpected comments in this thread. (The answer is no, no one has a damn thing new to say, but they'll keep on saying it anyways.)
I'll admit, I don't understand why people feel the need to fight over which digital distribution store is better. Personally, I like Steam and Origin equally the same.

It would be cool if Valve could try and convince publishers or developers to give some of their games away for free. That would be epic.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Wait so is this across all regions and has no prerequisite?

I thought when I got Dead Space the original was because I had invested in Dead Space 3?

Are they really giving you Battlefield 3 for life, just for logging onto their system? Or do you need, say, battlefield 4?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Aaron Sylvester said:
Oh boy. BF3 isn't a particularly newbie-friendly game (steep learning curve) so I hope the upcoming waves of newbies don't get too pissed off by veterans stomping them :S
The vehicle vs infantry balance in BF3 heavily favors vehicles and a pro Tank/IFV driver or Heli/Jet pilot can be almost unstoppable depending on map.
BF3 has been given out for almost nothing before - as part of a humble bundle - and that's when I got BF3, played it for the first time, and didn't get stomped by veterans - after a little bit of practice anyway. In fact, there are many people still playing who are not veterans. And I hadn't had played Battlefield since Battlefield 2 either. On the other hand, yea, I guess that doesn't make me a total Battlefield newb either.

Edit: The unstoppable pilots can indeed be a big pain in the ass though. I mostly avoided airforce-heavy maps for that reason.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bat Vader said:
lacktheknack said:
I'll actually pass on this, just because I don't like modern warfare shooters. I'm still pleased as punch about getting Plants vs Zombies for free.

Hmm, I wonder if I'll see any unexpected comments in this thread. (The answer is no, no one has a damn thing new to say, but they'll keep on saying it anyways.)
I'll admit, I don't understand why people feel the need to fight over which digital distribution store is better. Personally, I like Steam and Origin equally the same.

It would be cool if Valve could try and convince publishers or developers to give some of their games away for free. That would be epic.
well some already do, tripwire gave away red orchestra 2 some weeks ago, quite nice, i didnt think i could like a realistic game this much, and i mean realism realism, not the garbage modern military shooters nowadays pass off as "realism", dying from a single bullet is almost always the case in RO2, but it surprisingly works quite well

Ubiquitous Duck said:

I thought when I got Dead Space the original was because I had invested in Dead Space 3?

Are they really giving you Battlefield 3 for life, just for logging onto their system? Or do you need, say, battlefield 4?
no trick, is "on the house" and it seems to work on all regions, atleast it works on mine

this offer will only last until june 3 tough

oh hey, now i remember, i can finally make use of that dead space 3 key i had

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:

no trick, is "on the house" and it seems to work on all regions, atleast it works on mine

this offer will only last until june 3 tough

oh hey, now i remember, i can finally make use of that dead space 3 key i had
Wow. I didn't realise that they were going to make this a common thing.

I guess the cynical person would say they are trying to get you interested in buying Battlefield 4, but a free game, is a free game.

All EA have to do to win me over is bring NHL back to the PC. Then, all would be forgotten.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
A good modern military franchise that is a simulation and really hard are the Arma games. I have Arma II and that game is hard. I have been meaning to pick up Arma III.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
A good modern military franchise that is a simulation and really hard are the Arma games. I have Arma II and that game is hard. I have been meaning to pick up Arma III.
i got the first arma for free in a promotion a few weeks back

im not sure about that series, the videos ive seem show big open maps, which are easily my least favorite in RO2

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

im not sure about that series, the videos ive seem show big open maps, which are easily my least favorite in RO2
The nice thing about the big open maps is they they allow you to approach a mission or attack an enemy in different ways. Which is nice because of the difficulty involved. There are times when I think my team is in the clear only for some enemy marksman to shoot my character once or twice in the legs.

If the wound is bad enough the character loses use of their legs and can bleed out. There should also be a mission editor where you can place units inside a small town and fight there.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Is the base game worthless without all the DLC? Or does that come with the free download?

Pretty sure matchmaking is extremely limited if you do not have all the content.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

The nice thing about the big open maps is they they allow you to approach a mission or attack an enemy in different ways. Which is nice because of the difficulty involved. There are times when I think my team is in the clear only for some enemy marksman to shoot my character once or twice in the legs.

If the wound is bad enough the character loses use of their legs and can bleed out. There should also be a mission editor where you can place units inside a small town and fight there.
i guess agaisnt the AI there can be some fun to be had, but agaisnt real players, i feel open maps often turn into the most frustrating "where's waldo" games ever, particulary when it comes to games with a generous level of realism, this is probably the reason why i dont like the battlefield series

RO2 has many maps that combine both close quarters combat and open environments, these are the best, because you feel no matter what class you choose, you can be useful, this doesnt happen is pure open maps, where SMG classes are somewhat underpowered, despite the generous range of SMGs in RO2

plus well designed closed maps allow for multiple attack points as well, RO2 and TF2 have maps like this