BFBC2: Poorly Ported to PC

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
xDarc said:
A lot of people with dual cores are complaining of poor performance in BFBC2. Me included. Running an E6600 at 2.8ghz. More than adequate... unless the game is a bad port and only uses a small fraction of most people's available GPU power.

Some people are reporting, through the use of an EVGA Precision tool for overclocking, that their GPU is being utilized to about 1/3rd full capacity or less. If you search the web there are tests and screen shots out there.

The reason for this is that the xbox uses a triple core processor at 3.2ghz, but only has like 256mb of video ram and a weak GPU.

That's the first thing I thought when I started checking my performance issues, that this game wasn't nearly pretty enough to require such high end hardware... and it turns out it isn't. It's just made like shit.
If you think this is bad, most PC users can't even play past the first room in Mass Effect 2 because of how the game handles determining the last thing you looked at. I laughed when people were told it was because of their graphics cards when I was on the forums - I have a geForce 9800 so if that can't handle it I don't know what will, but more importantly, it beats the sod out of anything the consoles have.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
ender214 said:
xDarc said:
A lot of people with dual cores are complaining of poor performance in BFBC2. Me included. Running an E6600 at 2.8ghz. More than adequate... unless the game is a bad port and only uses a small fraction of most people's available GPU power.
There's your problem. You need to upgrade to quad-core. You can't expect a game to run well if you run it below recommended settings.
This game wouldn't need a quad core if it was properly optimized and utilized the GPU as it should. There is no reason that this should run worse than Crysis besides bad design.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Furburt said:
Yep, it runs and looks like shit, doesn't really have proper dedi servers, and this from the developer that said they were going to treat the PC really well.

We've been screwed again brethren! Let us forsake these fools and buy from the developers that actually care about us. To Stardock! Awaaay!
Cry moar. From what I've seen, the game runs perfectly fine. I think that PC gamers are so horribly sensitive these days. You haven't been screwed over by the devs, your computer may not meet the requirements for the game. They didn't screw you over, you screwed yourself over.

Tssh. PC gamers (some of you, not all) man up.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Running an E8200, 2gb Ram, and a GTX 275. With everything on max I stay around 40-60 fps at all times.

Sounds like pebkacs to me.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
xDarc said:
A lot of people with dual cores are complaining of poor performance in BFBC2. Me included. Running an E6600 at 2.8ghz.
I have the exact same processor as you I run the game maxed out and lag free right now. I had some performance issues, but they were solved.

So do you have Windows media player 11 installed?

Jack Nettle

Mar 14, 2010
Ahahaha... It's good to know that being both a Xbox AND PC oriented gamer wasn't such a bad idea after all! Cheers! :D

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Furburt said:
Radelaide said:
Cry moar. From what I've seen, the game runs perfectly fine. I think that PC gamers are so horribly sensitive these days. You haven't been screwed over by the devs, your computer may not meet the requirements for the game. They didn't screw you over, you screwed yourself over.

Tssh. PC gamers (some of you, not all) man up.
*cries*

Still, I haven't tried it on my computer, but the basic principle for mainstream PC games is that if you want them to sell well, you optimize them to fuck so they can run on medium spec computers, thus increasing your sales base. I'm just using it as more of an example of EA's and DICE's hypocrisy, because of how much they hyped the game based on the fact that it was catering to the PC gamer market more than MW2, which it didn't at all, so they were lying. Simple as that. How is that 'screwing ourselves over'?

My computer does meet and exceed the requirements for the game, incidentally. I won't buy it though, mainly because I hear it's a piece of shite. Anyway, this 'PC gamers are sensitive thing' has a good reason behind it. How would you feel if the Xbox was continually screwed over and denied all the things that make it the console it is in the first place? I doubt you'd feel particularly happy if PC gamers lorded it over you, would you? No, of course you wouldn't.

In fact, the whole concept that their should be any antagonism between the two methods of computer gaming is absurd in the first place! So enough with this pointless enmity everyone, please.
I have a gaming computer AND a xbox. And I primarily game on my computer (which is soon to change if I keep having to download non-existent updates on Steam). I know the trials and tribulations that PC gamers go through for their games and frankly, if you get upset that your game doesn't have dedicated servers or something that devs don't have a contractual responsibility to give, you need a new hobby. Games are something to be enjoyed, not to *****, moan, complain and cry about.

But I do agree that the whole antagonism between gaming method is just stupid. I just wish that when something doesn't go the PC's way, the people who use it primarily (I say again, this only applies to some people) wouldn't act like 3 year old brats who just had a lolly taken away from them.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Yeah i have to run BF:BC2 on 1024 x 768 with Low Graphics for it too run smoothly

(Quad Core 2.4GHz Nvidia 8600Gt) it sucks i can run everything else smoothly except this and i love this game

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
xDarc said:
This game wouldn't need a quad core if it was properly optimized and utilized the GPU as it should. There is no reason that this should run worse than Crysis besides bad design.
This - so many times this - is the real complaint here, really. The problem with many console ports is that they are just that, lately - ports - with absolutely no attempt or design to make the best out of the system they are on. This isn't just PC ports either, the Wii version of Force Unleashed sure comes to mind as well. As someone who took all those dreary classes on computer science and such in college I can say that it is really much easier to do that kind of thing than most developers seem to make it out to be, the current score of GPUs are much better documented than they have been in the past and both DirectX and OpenGL have made huge strides in the last four or five years - so it's really led me to believe that your average game developer these days is staffed by poorly trained chimps.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
I think that's a sign when Battlefield is making crappy PC ports. Battlefield! Of all games... oh well, it's a sad market we live in. People just aren't PC gaming like they used to. Now it's all these kids with their fancy Duty Calls and War Gears for their GameBox 3000.
I tittered.

I don't have the game on PC unfortunately so I can't really comment, but I'm sure something will come along to fix the issue. I bet the devs have had many complaints.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Well, at least they tried. That's a bit more than Infinity Ward did. I'm sure they'll patch it or someone will edit some configs or some shenanigans to fix the dual-core issues.

I personally don't own it, but if I did buy it, would my quad be affected by the issues plaguing the dual-core systems?

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I run the game fine on low settings at a 1440x900 resolution with a pentium core 2 duo at 2.26GHz,4 Gb brandless RAM and a Nvidia 9600GM.
On a laptop of all things.
I could overclock my little cpu and bump up some settings,but I don't want my laptop to catch on fire,explode and kill everyone in a 50m radius.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
DICE have always been terrible at game engines.

Wouldn't surprise me if the hit box reg issues are still in BC2.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I don;t see what everybody's problem is: I mean, I'm running it just fine with all the graphical options turned up to eleven and the resolution set at 1024p. Of course, I did have to blow $500 on a future video card from a galaxy beyond the limits of human comprehension to do so...

Hm...

On second thought, if you need me, I'll be building a shrine to Stardock/Valve.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Mornelithe said:
My friend Nate has a Quad core and a 9000 series Nvidia GPU, says the game runs fantastically.
That's because if something doesn't work well on a Quad core, then the game itself is broken, not the computer.
Actually, not all games support multiple cores so even with my Q6600, I can have issues as it's currently running at 2.4ghz which can be slow with older games. Though, I would only notice the difference if my GPU really started to die on me and my RAM buggered completely.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I seem to remember Mass Effect 3 having an issue with Dual Core CPU's when it first came out as well. I don't have the PC version but if my monetary situation allows I will probably end up getting it for the PC. (To go along with my new Astro Gaming headset which should arrive tomorrow! YAY ME!!) I think that this is a relatively normal hiccup as far as PC games go, but because IW and to a slightly lesser extent Ubisoft have been such utter dicks lately the whole thing has been magnified in the minds of some consumers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Aphroditty said:
Furburt said:
Yep, it runs and looks like shit, doesn't really have proper dedi servers, and this from the developer that said they were going to treat the PC really well.

We've been screwed again brethren! Let us forsake these fools and buy from the developers that actually care about us. To Stardock! Awaaay!
At this rate, you fellows will only be able to buy one or two games per year.
I'm interested to see how you've worked that one out exactly.

OT: Argh, such a shame.

Oh well, its not like I haven't got enough games to buy this month (starting today) with JC2, Metro 2033 and Splinter Cell: Conviction.

And yes, I probably will use a cracked .exe for Conviction, unless Ubisoft sort themselves out (and fast).

EDIT: As someone else has said, this game (or any other) has no excuse for running worse than Crysis on any person's set of hardware. Its just lazy porting.