Big Band music anyone?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Can you guys suggest me some good big band music. I got really into the iconic BB songs from the Fallout games (I forgot their names though, so you could suggest them). I want to start listening to more, but I don't know where to start.
Thanks

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
oh goody *cracks her knuckles and looks at her itunes library* also, I go swing dancing regularly

Steven Mitchell does a version of the Jitterbug Stroll
Benny Goodman & His Band
Artie Shaw & His Band
Louis Armstrong
Glenn Miller Band
Les Brown Band
Billie Holiday
Django Reinhardt
Tommy Dorsey Band
Fats Waller
Jimmy Dorsey & His Band
Charlie Barnet & His Band
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Duke Ellington (& His Band since he does his solo and his band stuff)
Woody Herman Orchestra
Count Basie Orchestra
The Ink Spots
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Harry James Band
Stan Kenton & His Orchestra
The Andrews Sisters
Lionel hampton band
Cab Calloway & His Band
Judy Garland
Charlie Barnet
Bing Crosby
Louis Prima
Johnny Mercer
Les Brown

there is newer stuff some of which is just as good

Oh and I have the jazz/swing version of Baby Got Back as performed by Richard Cheese

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Sleekit said:
well what do you mean by Big Band
its kinda hard for me to remember because i use the GNR mod that adds loads of new songs

stuff like this ?

I F*ing HATE that song. EVERYONE wants to play it to swing dance to and its SOOOOOO long! Its exhausting. Even though I have it in my itunes library....

wizzard419

Sep 16, 2011
If you like the music of the era you may also want to expand with artists like Vera Lynn, Red Norvo & his orchestra, Jimmie Lunceford and his orchestra, Frankie Newton, Sidney Bechet, Henry 'Red' Allen and his orch (a lot of these were billed that way), Johnny Hodges and his orch, Cootie Williams and Duke Ellington's Orch, Bunny Berigan and his orch, Bea Wain, Turner Layon.

If you want a quick sampler of 1930's era pop music I suggest looking up the "Tower of Terror" (yes, the disney ride) area music loop. Then branch out from there.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
My brother loves this stuff, I should grab his DSi and see what's on there. I only know what's in the Fallout games like The Ink Spots and Dean Martin and I only ever listen to this stuff there or on Family Guy. It's not bad just not what I'm into.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Sleekit said:
aprilmarie said:
Sleekit said:
well what do you mean by Big Band
its kinda hard for me to remember because i use the GNR mod that adds loads of new songs

stuff like this ?

I F*ing HATE that song. EVERYONE wants to play it to swing dance to and its SOOOOOO long! Its exhausting. Even though I have it in my itunes library....
sorry :( i dont seem to be doing very well in this topic :(
tis ok it happens. i like the swing kids version better

Also OT: The music in Bioshock 1 and 2

gostlyfantom

Jan 22, 2011
Sing Sing Sing by benny goodman, Jingle jangle jingle by kay kyser... the rest of the New vegas soundtrack... EDIT: Definetly check out orange coloured sky, its fucking amazing.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Here's a random Youtube video for you :D

I love Big Band Music... I need to talk to my Dad about the names of the classic charts.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Denver and the Mile High Orchestra is freakin' fantastic. Almost won the first season of that show way back then, tried to be the band version of American Idol (Next Great American Band, I think it was called). The audience loved Denver, but the judges didn't, and in the end they just ramped their voting percentage up an obscene amount to ensure the other band would win. But regardless, seriously: Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Freakin' awesome.

Just check out what they did to this old hymn:
<youtube=LWNjIxtLj9E>