Big Boobs = Bad Character?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
No, big boobs do not make for a bad character and I'm sure a large number of Anime fans will eventually come in and tell you that. Its the same thing in Gaming. While large breasts may be seen as pandering to a particular group of fans (Male teenagers) it doesn't automatically equal a character that is completely unlikable anymore then a big head would mean that someone is smart.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
No, it doesnt equal a bad character, but it makes me role my eyes.

Like when Miranda aka Miss Butterface's butt was pushed into my screen in Mass Effect 2. Really? (She wasnt a good character to begin with, but you get what im saying.)
Yvonne Strahovski is a butterface now? Sir, I protest.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
No, big boobs don't help but they don't hurt a character's depth either. I've read comic books for over ten years, I would know this by now.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It depends what you mean by "big".

I don't mind if a female character is voluptuous, but as soon as things become a bit too top-heavy I can't take the character serious any more than I could if she had a nose the size of a cucumber. Even if she's the most well written female character ever, if she has a ludicrously proportioned body then that's all I can see.

It also depends on what kind of character she is. Jessica Rabbit is this bombshell nightclub singer, so she has a body to match. But put the same body on, say, Ripley from Alien and it becomes character assassination.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Of course not.

Having an overly sexualized female just gives you that much more to overcome when you want anyone to take them seriously.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
It's just a stupid double standard. I've seen far too many shirtless men with rippling and glistening muscles to feel even the slightest bit of concern about sexism in character design. It really repulses me that people embrace this kind of double standard in their demands for "equality."

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
It depends what you mean by "big".

I don't mind if a female character is voluptuous, but as soon as things become a bit too top-heavy I can't take the character serious any more than I could if she had a nose the size of a cucumber. Even if she's the most well written female character ever, if she has a ludicrously proportioned body then that's all I can see.

It also depends on what kind of character she is. Jessica Rabbit is this bombshell nightclub singer, so she has a body to match. But put the same body on, say, Ripley from Alien and it becomes character assassination.
This.
Also when every female character has massive jubblies, then it just becomes a bit mental.

It just screams `Pandering` (and also `Fuck anyone who isn't a straight teenage boy! You're not our audience!`), so if one of the game's main feature is the characters boobs, I will probably end up skipping that game.
It's a good system, worked for me so far.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm going to somewhat ignore the big boobs part (seeing as i'm not a fan of them I tend to prefer smaller ones)and just talk about good looking characters. I wouldn't say a good looking character is a bad character for example Morrigan in Dragon Age: Origins.
http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/assets/images/addon/morrigan-small.png
She is good looking but she is also a great character, one of my favourites from any games.

One thing that just grinds my gears is chainmail bikinis, they make no sense. Now good looking characters often tend to get bad when writers forget to give them flaws.