Big surprise, the new Fantastic Four movie is a wreck

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I mean, who didn't see this coming? Fox is freeing up millions of dollars for reshoots because they're unhappy with the film. Matthew Vaughn said that "the Fantastic Four is a good movie - if you liked Chronicle."

Here's the full article: http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/fantastic-four-reboot-said-be-mess

Anyways, I'm not surprised. What are your thoughts?

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
You know how to make a good Fantastic Four movie?

Not being ashamed of making a Fantastic Four movie.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Jesus. This thing is a trainwreck. If Rise of the Silver Surfer was considered good enough to release then this has to be a disaster beyond our imagination.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Eh, it's too quick to judge. I mean, the movie's not even out yet. I'll wait until I see it a whole bunch of other people see it, then I'll read some reviews, wait about a year until I remember the movie again, then re-subscribe to Netflix/borrow it from a friend, then I'll judge.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, aren't superhero movies supposed to be wrecks?

Just have some people in stupid outfits fighting each other, some CGI, a bit of contrived angst and a love triangle, and there you go.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Everything I've read about the movie so far has told me that it's a wreck already. It could be the comic book purist in me, but it sounds dire. Which is a shame, considering the talent involved. I like Toby Kebbell, Michael B Jordan, Miles Teller, Kate Mara and Josh Trank, but this is a "I'll see it in the cinema because it'll be a spectacle" movie.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Wait, I genuinely liked Chronicle, for what it was.

I, um.. hmm. Am I a bad person? Do I have shit taste? I've not enjoyed the FF films so far (don't think I've even seen either of them all the way through though..) and am not expecting to enjoy this one.

Help! Someone tell me what to think!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Teoes said:
Wait, I genuinely liked Chronicle, for what it was.

I, um.. hmm. Am I a bad person? Do I have shit taste? I've not enjoyed the FF films so far (don't think I've even seen either of them all the way through though..) and am not expecting to enjoy this one.

Help! Someone tell me what to think!
Well Chronicle was good but the Fantastic Four are not meant to super cereal grimdark characters. That's why the fact it's like Chronicle sucks.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Contrary to what most people felt at the time, I actually loved the fantastic four movies... they were so enjoyable bad that I love them (still do), and this is coming from someone that loves the source material. However, from the moment this movie mas announced, then the casting, and a few things here and there I knew this one would not be a "good-bad" movie, but simply a bad one.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Frezzato said:
Eh, it's too quick to judge. I mean, the movie's not even out yet. I'll wait until I see it a whole bunch of other people see it, then I'll read some reviews, wait about a year until I remember the movie again, then re-subscribe to Netflix/borrow it from a friend, then I'll judge.
I'll see it in theaters. I don't think I'll have to wait long to find an empty showing to go to. I'll be able to shout all I like.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll wait to judge personally, but my faith in a decent FF movie is sorely tested and at its all time lowest. So color me surprised if it turns out to be good. Happily surprised mind you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I still hold to the conspiracy theory that this is deliberate sabotage meant to be a big "Fuck You!" to Marvel. How else do you explain the writers and director doing everything they possibly can to just piss all over the franchise? This is pretty much a Fantastic Four movie in name only considering all the concept and design changes that have been implemented. Interracial twins "because reasons"? Sure! Average age of the characters in their mid to late 20's? Why not! Dr. Doom looks like the High Commander General of the Putty Patrol from the Power Rangers? Approved!

Not to mention the whole bit about the director specifically telling the actors to NOT try to read or research the original source material. When you have absolutely no intention of showing any kind of faith towards the original concepts in the franchise, trying to research the source material would indeed be counter productive.

So yeah, I think this movie is meant to be a "controlled burn"...just one big middle finger to Marvel as if to say "Yeah, this is what we've done to your First Family! SUCK IT!"

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Jesus Christ Almighty, just wait for the movie to come out, THEN judge.
I WANT to see a similar movie like Chronicle. A long Origin story will set up the next movies fine.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
RJ 17 said:
I still hold to the conspiracy theory that this is deliberate sabotage meant to be a big "Fuck You!" to Marvel. How else do you explain the writers and director doing everything they possibly can to just piss all over the franchise? This is pretty much a Fantastic Four movie in name only considering all the concept and design changes that have been implemented. Interracial twins "because reasons"? Sure! Average age of the characters in their mid to late 20's? Why not! Dr. Doom looks like the High Commander General of the Putty Patrol from the Power Rangers? Approved!
Turn Doctor Doom into a russian blogger? Make it so! [http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/]

... yeah, I want this movie to be good, but almost everything I've heard about it makes me fear that it'll be a bigger disaster than Rise of the Silver Surfer was, and RotSS was a slow motion trainwreck smashing into an orphanage.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mangod said:
Turn Doctor Doom into a russian blogger? Make it so! [http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/]

... yeah, I want this movie to be good, but almost everything I've heard about it makes me fear that it'll be a bigger disaster than Rise of the Silver Surfer was, and RotSS was a slow motion trainwreck smashing into an orphanage.
I knew I remembered them mucking about with Doom's origin and really screwing it up, just couldn't think of what they had done off the top of my head. But yeah...lets take one of the most infamous and well-known villains in the Marvel Universe and...reduce him to a tech-dweeb blogger. Sounds good to me!

/sarcasm

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
I'm willing to wait and see how people react when the movie comes out.

I will say though that the previous FF movies, regardless of whether you liked them or not, felt and looked like FF movies.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I actually have high hopes for this film...why?

Everyone tells me how completely shit The Amazing Spiderman is and yet I feel it's the best Spidey film made to date. People praised Captain America The Winter Soldier as one of the best movies of the year and THE best marvel flick and I only found the movie to be solid entertainment. 3 out of 5...really shows of Cap but completely fails to make me care about Falcon or Widow as characters.

In other words...when it comes to superhero movies, my opinions and the popular voice on the internet don't always mesh. At worst, Fantastic Four will be the total wreck everyone has been expecting. Given that our expectations are pretty much at zero...I'm fully prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Guess we'll see (when it comes out on Netflix) :p

Jan 18, 2012
Mangod said:
RJ 17 said:

Thats seriously going to be his backstory? Urgh, this seems like its going to have the same problems as the version of Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman. You want to have a tech dweeb who has an oversized ego? Thats great...for someone like the Riddler or The Calculator. For a character like Lex Luthor or Dr. Doom, you need someone with ego, confidence, and determination. When you look at those two in the comics, you get the impression that these guys are seriously capable of taking over the world. With the movie versions, I just see some whiny kids begging for attention.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Trying not to be Chronicle 2??? What, was the whole film shot in some camera including in impossible places??? (I never get why there was a camera in the hospital room especially when it was place across the bed?).

Seriously Sony, give it up. They clearly cannot write nor make a good superhero film and give it back to Maverl film studio already. They at least knows what the hell they are doing!