Big Trouble in Little China Remake In The Works - Starring "The Rock"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Considering that the main villain was a depiction of a olden Chinese wizard of some sort, no a remake is not a good idea!!

snowwraith

Jan 13, 2012
I agree with the general consensus that it shouldn't be remade. There's so much that could go wrong. However, I would be interested in them doing a special edition, such as with the Star Wars episodes 4-6, where they improved the FX but kept the movie in its original format. Some of the rubberised props/creatures really look dated now and I think would benefit from a CGI facelift. Personally I felt that the special edition Star Wars movies significantly improved the originals, but then that's my opinion and I know others feel the vanilla versions were better.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
There are not enough words in the English language to properly convey how much I dislike the remake and my feelings in general.

I would probably summon Cthulhu by accident if I tried.

This is one movie you don't touch. This is one of the movies that typified the 80s, and you just leave it the hell alone. It's still an awesome movie and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.
Well said.

Unfortunately, it does seem that mindless, pointless and unnecessary remakes are the kind of movies that typify the 2010s. What I figure is, any day one of these turkeys opens in theaters is the perfect occasion to buy some snacks, invite some friends - and watch the original movie at home!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Think I'll just go ahead and leave this here...

OT: Honestly, I don't see how you can even try to make a remake of this movie...without it being absolute shit. The original was so obscenely, hilariously, and quintessentially 80's that it will be quite literally impossible to re-capture the magic (no pun intended) and charm of this movie. All the neon lights...the acting...the dialogue...and, of course, dat mullet!

Hollywood is in the same no risk-taking slump that the games industry is in. Why bother trying to come up with something new when you can go with something safe? I'm sure this movie will skate on by thanks to nostalgia, but with each remake/rehash/reimagining that comes out, a little piece of me dies inside.

...and people wonder why I say I hate movies these days...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The movie was so meta that the actors, rather than expressing their motivations at the start of the film, they actively and comprehensively listed them out so that shit was out of the way for all the wackiness to begin. Recreating this on purpose and expecting people to pay to see it would simply not work with a modern audience that grew up on Malcolm in the Middle and Community. Plus Dwayne Johnson would have to lose 100lbs of muscle and grow a mullet for this to even come close to working. Average joes can't nipplepop.

exceeder616

May 13, 2015
I hope he is not cast as Jack Burton, he would be better as the big guy of the three storms. BVut that is doubtful.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yet another stupid unnecessary remake. I hope The Rock changes his mind about this toxic filth before its too late...

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
... ya know, a month ago My knee-jerk reaction would've been a big "hell no". Then, Mad Max came out.

So, I'ma see how this develops. As long as they remember that Jack Burton was the sidekick that the camera just happened to follow around, it could be fun.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Dammit, first Assault on Precinct 13, then The Fog, then Halloween, then The Thing and now this?!

What do people have against John Carpenter?

Calling it now, it the next ten years, one or all of the following will be remade: Escape From New York, They Live, Christine. And 'They Live' will be forcefully modernized to include tablets, smartphones and internet.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
No. Just no. There is no need for this. Stop making pointless re-makes. The original film is just fine. And as much as I'm happy to see The Rock playing action hero again, he's way to big and buff looking to do the 'Everyman Hero' role like Kurt Russel did. If you really want to bank off the Big Trouble name, then do a '25 years later' sequel. That I would pay to see. Not trying to make a beat-for-beat remake of a movie that's already in my DVD library, or an 'improvement' of the original that didn't need improved.

While you're at it though, can we finally get Buckaroo Banzai vs the World Crime League?

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
...and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.
Because Hollywood has completely run out of originality at this point and is desperately grasping for anything they haven't made a reboot from a reboot of yet.
It's not that they lack originality, it's that they fear it.

Seriously, Hollywood execs exist to make movies make money by appealing to as wide a demographic as possible. That incredibly limits what movies can be produced. No R rated or niche movies. It also means reboots and movies based on popular icons are better because they come with a fanbase to exploit.

That this leads to terrible movies that are mockeries of the originals and completely miss the elements that made the originals great and unique means nothing to them.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
jhoroz said:
The whole point of Jack Burton is that he's just some random schmuck way over his head and for the most part, completely ineffectual as an action protagonist. He gets by more on his luck and the help from those around him rather than his own competency. Casting the Rock just seems like a bad idea.
Yeah, exactly. I can't imagine a scene with the Rock shooting his gun in the air, getting hit by falling debris from the ceiling, and being knocked out for the final battle.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What a crap idea. I bet they will take all the cheesy stuff out of it and make it more realistic. Thing is if they think the Rock is so awesome then why not give him an original movie to star in. Not remaking movies that will just fail miserably like the Poltergeist remake did.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I... it's just... but why... I mean I can't... but why would anyone... no reality in which... what?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
While I do agree with most of the negative sentiment here, I would like to point out that James Hong is still alive, and should he be cast, would be even older and wizardier than ever. I'm pretty sure he still has interest in the role too, given that he basically reprised the role of Lo Pan in an episode of the 2012 TMNT reboot.

NestorES

Apr 2, 2010
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Wow hollywood... way to murder my childhood. :/

Seriously I grew up on that movie, I can recite it almost line for line. It's absolutely perfect and all remaking it will do is ruin it.

Remake Prince of Darkness. That's an outstanding movie that Carpenter made that few people know about, and could really benefit from a new look.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
It seems they will continue to be relentless with the remakes. RoboCop was a terrible remake. Total Recall was a terrible remake. A-Team, Conan, Clash of the Titans, Arthur, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Annie, Poltergeist, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Godzilla, : all terrible!

I wouldn't mind if they were at least passable like Footloose or Karate Kid.

Dear Hollywood,

RoboCop. Fuck you.

Sincerely,
Die in a Fire