Biggest guilt-trip in a game

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
Sure, we tell ourselves that the characters in games are only collections of data with no emotion, but sometimes games can really hit hard. When has a game made you feel like a horrible person for something you've done/will do? And did the game succeed in influencing your actions?
For me, it's in Fable 2:
When a ghost tells you to marry a woman who broke his heart and divorce her so she knows how it feels. I was wooing her and about to throw her to the wolves, but then she mentioned her long-lost fiance, who she ran off from and still regrets to this very day. I felt like crap. I was going to tear this woman's heart in two over a stupid decision. Long story short, I married her out of pity (and because she was stacked, I'm only a man, y'know), and discovered the hard way that she is the worst wife in the game and will leave you after only 2 days apart. Point goes to Fable 2, you jerk.

Your turns!

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
squidbuddy99 said:
Sure, we tell ourselves that the characters in games are only collections of data with no emotion, but sometimes games can really hit hard. When has a game made you feel like a horrible person for something you've done/will do? And did the game succeed in influencing your actions?
For me, it's in Fable 2:
When a ghost tells you to marry a woman who broke his heart and divorce her so she knows how it feels. I was wooing her and about to throw her to the wolves, but then she mentioned her long-lost fiance, who she ran off from and still regrets to this very day. I felt like crap. I was going to tear this woman's heart in two over a stupid decision. Long story short, I married her out of pity (and because she was stacked, I'm only a man, y'know), and discovered the hard way that she is the worst wife in the game and will leave you after only 2 days apart. Point goes to Fable 2, you jerk.

Your turns!
Her name is Alex, and for me she stayed my wife the whole game. I think it's just you and your luck.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Katey in dead rising 2 I'm pretty sure you can keep playing but I've never seen what happens because I can't let his daughter turn into a zombie. I just can't!

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
squidbuddy99 said:
For me, it's in Fable 2:

Your turns!
Her name is Alex, and for me she stayed my wife the whole game. I think it's just you and your luck.
Yah, I basically never visited her and she was in a constant state of happiness. Don't know what you did wrong.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
squidbuddy99 said:
For me, it's in Fable 2:

Your turns!
The hell? I bought her a huge house in the city and gave her every chocolate, necklace, and random gift I could find, and she was still pissed off at me after I'd been gone for over a day!
I bet she was cheating on me with you.

the_honey_badger

Jun 3, 2011
fallout 3 with harold the talking tree-mutant. he wanted to die because he hated his life, but he was one of the few people in fallout who seemed genuinely nice; so killing him or letting him live, you felt guilty either way :/

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
The last decision in Mass Effect 1. Pick the council, or the Alliance.

I was like "Wait, I have to ch- I HAVE TO CHOOSE? Ohgod, fuck, uhm..."

If not, when you had to pick whether your girlfriend or the other 6 medics live or die in InFamous. I seriously could not decide, then I realized no matter what you choose, she'd die. Pfft.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

:(

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Majora's Mask was one big guilt trip to me, but I'll name the biggest ones:

-Letting the aliens invade the Ranch and getting Cremia's (I think her name was Cremia) mind wiped
-Not helping Kafei with his marriage
-Not saving that monkey in the Deku Palace
-Having to watch Mikau die
-Not gathering Lulu's eggs
-Letting the Bomb Lady's bag get stolen
-Skull Kid's past and misunderstanding
-Not healing the girl's father in Ikana Canyon

There's more but that should be plenty.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

Oh crap, you just reminded me of the companion cube. He was my only friend, and he never was mean to me or threatened to stab me, but I threw him into an incinerator. I'm....I'm so sorry. *sobs*

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare.

When you kill all those evil Sasquatches and it turns out that they were actually peaceful and nice. I felt really awful. So I shot the last one just so there were no more signs of the atrocity I had committed.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The biggest attempt I've encountered at one was the first level of Homefront. It was so over the top however, it failed to guilt trip me at all and it just got worse the further in the game I went. It peaked at the ball park and after that point I couldn't take the game seriously anymore. I think the worst guilt trips for me is when I do something wrong when trying to do something good. Like accidently killing a surivor in dead rising, or harvesting a little sister when I have never deliberately aimed to havest them.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
None. I have adjusted myself to feel very little guilt in general, what over so little as a game.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Yes.
squidbuddy99 said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:

Oh crap, you just reminded me of the companion cube. He was my only friend, and he never was mean to me or threatened to stab me, but I threw him into an incinerator. I'm....I'm so sorry. *sobs*
this was the guilt trip to end all guilt trips.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Final Fantasy VII

Finding the hidden money inside a drawer only to come back later and find that there's a kid that is crying because someone stole his money and now I'm not even given the option to return it to him.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
J-dog42 said:
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare.

When you kill all those evil Sasquatches and it turns out that they were actually peaceful and nice. I felt really awful. So I shot the last one just so there were no more signs of the atrocity I had committed.
YES. God damn, I had to put the game down after that scene, I couldn't bear to pick it up again for over a week.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
squidbuddy99 said:
"There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him."