Biggest immersion killers.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
dragon_of_red said:
My biggest annoyance is subtitles, i get confused and it ruins my imersion
I end up reading what I'm hearing but faster. Hate that. Gotta turn them off.

Mine is in game advertising of real products. They look alien so I remember I'm in a game.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Bad cutscene animation:

In Gears of War 2, before you find that pod with Maria inside of it, Dom and Marcus argue about going right to Nexus or trying to find Maria. It's a decently written scene (writing is also another thing that kills me), but Marcus keeps twitching his head like he's got a neurological disorder, not surprising really considering he probably spends most mornings chainsawing his breakfast before the griddle is even hot.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Piotr621 said:
You know how it is. You find yourself playing a game, getting slowly sucked into it, when all of a sudden there is a door barring your way that won't open up no matter what you do, or a ruin that blocks your way in all directions, or all of a sudden not being able to jump over a small 1 foot high structure and BANG you're all of a sudden very aware that you are playing a video game. What would be your biggest immersion killer?
A HUD system

they always remind me that i'm playing a GAME !!
A game that's truly immersive makes the hud seem like part of your senses, man!

But for me, immersion breakers...bugs, invisible walls, clipping issues, and bullshit stuff like not being able to take all the stuff off the person you just ganked.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
S.T.A.L.K.E.R-games, all the annoying bugs.

Seriously. S.T.A.L.K.E.R has THE creepiest in-door enviroments of ANY game and the game has so many bugs and flaws. ARGH

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
A HUD system

Good luck playing the Marine Campaign in Alien vs Predator 2 without the motion tracker...
You'll get buttraped by aliens befre you even know what hit you.

Same goes for Radar in S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Horrific voice acting usually throws me out of the virtual world pretty quickly. That and when the framrate is the equivalent to a powerpoint presentation *cough*Two Worlds*cough*

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Half-Life 2. Nothing quite like frequent loading pauses tobreak the reality and immersion of a game.

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
Elurindel said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Piotr621 said:
You know how it is. You find yourself playing a game, getting slowly sucked into it, when all of a sudden there is a door barring your way that won't open up no matter what you do, or a ruin that blocks your way in all directions, or all of a sudden not being able to jump over a small 1 foot high structure and BANG you're all of a sudden very aware that you are playing a video game. What would be your biggest immersion killer?
A HUD system

A game that's truly immersive makes the hud seem like part of your senses, man!

But for me, immersion breakers...bugs, invisible walls, clipping issues, and bullshit stuff like not being able to take all the stuff off the person you just ganked.
For example,

Halo, your HUD was what MC saw on the inside of his visor and in FEAR 2, the HUD was actually some swish looking shades. It's nice when they do that.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Controller lag.

I can't think of anything that breaks immersion more than the feeling that everything you are doing has to go through an approval process before it happens.

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
The lack of hand animation in games. I mean come on VALVe, I love your games, but seriously? Anytime you pick something up without using the gravity gun it just floats there in front of your face (just like if you were using the gravity gun...). Besides being mute is Gordon Freeman telekinetic?

It just bugs me how game developers will throw so much money and time at graphics, music, voice-acting, etc. yet so few actually give your character a pair hands to pick something up or press a button with. That's a real immersion killer for me.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Bad voice acting, and playing 'guess what the game designer was thinking', where you can almost find no way to get past a puzzle, and then discover it was something really abstract like using a fish to open a door.

Feb 18, 2009
Hunger and undismissable needs n:eek: 1 and 2. Phone or doorbell ringing (anything that reminds me there´s a reality out there). When it comes to gameplay issues, I´m pretty tolerant. Only my incompetence tends to annoy me and break the illusion of owning the game.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Multi player when you hear what the other people sound like over the mic,

Loading screens,

Games where there is not enough weapon damage (gears of war amongst others...)

Targeting recticles and other hud effects, On certain games, generally futuristic space games with helmets I can suspend belief but most of the time, no.

Silly physics.

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
Stuff written or superimposed on the screen, like a helpful number telling you how much damage you just did;
I think Fatal Frame was a big offender here. Also the Lord of the Rings licenced games. "Orc Hewer", anyone?

Unreasonable difficulty;
There is a part in Neverwinter Nights 2, where the thieves guild are trying to silence an informant. When you turn up to foil the attempt there is about 50-odd thieves, assassins and even magi there. All to silence ONE informant, who isn't even a warrior?

This can also work the other way, when things are just too damn easy. The vita-chambers from Bioshock always struck me as a bit odd. Why aren't the splicers using them? They're free... Also, when you have to fight a really scary opponent in an RPG and you're way, way harder than it and do a one-hit kill. Bonus points if any NPCs around would also have been able to do this.

Also, whenever YOU are the only person who can perform certain tasks, forcing you to enter ridiculously dangerous situations all on your own. Bonus points if you are part of a military organisation. Most RPG's do this (bonus points if the town guards are harder than you) also.

Think most of the other stuff that irks me has already been stated: Invisible walls, horrible voice acting, re-spawning enemies (bonus points if there is no apparent way they could re-spawn. Like; you're fighting in a sealed-off bunker or something.) and so on.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Ezzay said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Anyway, that "Do you want to change your character?" bit Bethesda uses once you're about to leave the tutorial. It's helpful, because it means I can skip the sewer (I just set up a save point at the very end if I want to make a new character,) but it breaks immersion like a ************.
Mr_spamamam said:
worst case ive ever seen is the start of fallout 3. you have been playing through parts of your characters life, and then just done your steve Mcqueen bit escaping the vault when a menue pops up asking if you want to fart around with the character creation a bit more. it might just be me, but i was really getting into the game and that spoilt it a bit for me. seems like Bethesda make a habit of it
These aswell, Bethesda really needs to stop it with that crap.
Well, I dunno. On the one hand, it is a huge immersion breaker. On the other, playing the character you made is a good way to see if you want to keep them. I'd hate to have to run through those sewers ten times just because I realized my character didn't play like I wanted/looked really funny once he got out into the sunlight. (Seriously, I make some pale fucking characters. Like, whiter than white. I always do. Sometimes I overdo it....nice to be able to fix it a little.)
I agree, especially with Oblivion. I would have hated having to re-run those sewers, playing different ways, just to get the class that I wanted.