Biggest letdown at the end of a game (spoiler warning!)

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I have no idew what you're talking about. Because I have Broken Steel. Meaning my Fallout 3 has no end. And it's still freaking awesome.

OT: Borderlands. I...seriously? You kill the giant big bad and then a ninja robot appears. At least give us some sequel conformation...

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
bart56912 said:
i think a heroic sacrafice is a good way to end game
only when theres no other option. if you are standing next to a guy who is immune to radiation and he tells you "no this is your destiny." then it is plain terrible.

EDIT: on topic - Chakan - The forever man

get to the end wiping all evil from the face of the earth. get to fight death with only one chance to win, lose get the hourglass image and the words "I may rest another day". if you DO beat the boss (which was almost impossible) you get the hourglass again with no text for half an hour and then the "the End " scrolls up the screen.

what the hell sega?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
WET:
{Pelham attacks Ackers, but Rubi gets there just in time to save him, and fights him and his subordinate Tarantula with... QTEs. And whats worse is they pull the old "To be continued" Card.}

Bayonetta:
{I... don't even know what actually happened... it was just so... confusing.}

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls gets very easy about half way through, when you've buffed your stats and killed the hard bosses. You can play through any of the five worlds in any order, and I guess I picked the wrong order because I had a hell of a hard time with one world, then I breezed through the two final acts one-shotting bosses with my doomsday fire spell. No really, I one-shotted like four bosses.

Here's the real disappointment though:
THERE IS NO END BOSS. When you have beaten all the worlds, you go down to face the Old One, which is this huge tree-like demon. You enter his mouth, beat up a crippled slimey thing which is too weak to even hurt you, and then you lull the big bad Old One to sleep with a lullaby and THEN YOU LEAVE. No epic final battle or anything... fucking bullshit!

For a game that's been lauded for it's difficulty, a weak ending is unforgivable. It was a challenge getting there - it got easy towards the end, sure, but it took like 25 hardcore hours of constant death getting to the easy part, so I was a bit peeved to say the least. Dark Souls better have an epic ending or else.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Sharalon said:
Haha, when I saw the topic I knew it was about Fallout 3. I've seen al ot of people who didn't like that ending. I didn't really mind the ending. Wasn't really a fantastic one, but you gave your (or that girls) life to save the future of the wasteland. Good enough for me.
What makes it so horrible is that there is no reason why you need to kill yourself.

Charon, RL-3 or Fawkes can easily go in there and turn on the purifier.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Dragon Age 2
The illusion of choice and pure sequel-bait.
Fallout 3
My companion who is immune to radiation is RIGHT THERE!
Oblivion
I save the country and then Martin takes all of the credit? I could have taken that Prince. I was a Prince myself. (This one is nitpicking)
Persona 4 Neutral Ending
That's it? We just give up?

Adamc-mh

Jun 6, 2010
Every Assassin's Creed Game ending, Number One wasn't too bad and Number two and three were Wtf just happened moments. I'm annoyed that my theory for the next one was wrong: that someone was replaying desmond's memories through the animus.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
TempestZ said:
Borderlands. I mean you just kill the thing and then nothing.
Wholeheartedly agree. Especially after all the build up bullshit. I was expecting cookies and magic and they just give me New Game+. I spit on you Gearbox.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
manythings said:
Halo 2. "The Master Chief has returned to Earth. Shit is about to kick o- It's fucking over?!"

In the middle of a cutscene the game ends. It was clearly a cutscene that was meant to bridge a transition not to end the game.
Fanboy said:
At least they somewhat fixed Fallout 3 with Broken Steel DLC.

I'd say the biggest letdowns for me were Halo 2 and Crysis. Fucking cliffhangers.

I haven't bought either sequel from those taffers.
So wait, you two didn't like the ending of Halo 2 just because it was a cliffhanger? More specially, Fanboy, do you just not like cliffhangers in general? They're a way of getting the reader/watcher/player hooked and wanted to know more, so that they buy the next installment. But they do the opposite for you? Or am I reading this wrong? I personally really liked Halo 2's ending- it had just enough suspense and awesomeness to be effective for me.

Aeokirr

Dec 12, 2010
dead space 2 faked me out with its ending. i was about to punch a baby. and then things were okay. but i would have to say the ending that pissed me off the most was...

Half life 2 episode 2

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I was extremely disappointed with Fable II's ending...
Lucius:You want to know why I did all this eh? Fine then I'll tell you exactly why! I'll tell you what the whole point of me going through all this BS and more was! I'll tell you all the truth about all the unanswered mysteries that have been left untouched... The -

*Reaver shoots him*
*Lucius dies anticlimactically*
*I am dissapoint*

Like I can understand why they did it, but I was still pretty pissed...

Strife315

May 22, 2011
I've been disappointed by so many endings I can't even begin to name them... I think the most recent I've played was Mafia 2. Not because the ending was bad but because of Joe. I really wish the story didn't end like it did. I was hoping they were going to have some DLC which continued this but sadly no.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
KotOR 2. I mean, what. The. Fuck.

Oh, and the second and third Fable games, I guess.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Assassins Creed was a massive cliffhanger. Along with Crysis and Borderlands. And also Bioshock.

At least they fixed Assassins Creed's ending with Assassins' Creed 2. =p

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I was letdown by Dragon Age 2's ending most recently. Not very climatic.

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
varulfic said:
Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls gets very easy about half way through, when you've buffed your stats and killed the hard bosses. You can play through any of the five worlds in any order, and I guess I picked the wrong order because I had a hell of a hard time with one world, then I breezed through the two final acts one-shotting bosses with my doomsday fire spell. No really, I one-shotted like four bosses.

Here's the real disappointment though:
THERE IS NO END BOSS. When you have beaten all the worlds, you go down to face the Old One, which is this huge tree-like demon. You enter his mouth, beat up a crippled slimey thing which is too weak to even hurt you, and then you lull the big bad Old One to sleep with a lullaby and THEN YOU LEAVE. No epic final battle or anything... fucking bullshit!

For a game that's been lauded for it's difficulty, a weak ending is unforgivable. It was a challenge getting there - it got easy towards the end, sure, but it took like 25 hardcore hours of constant death getting to the easy part, so I was a bit peeved to say the least. Dark Souls better have an epic ending or else.
I thought the ending was epic.
Try it again and pay attention to Pancakeface.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
ABLb0y said:
WET:
Bayonetta:
{I... don't even know what actually happened... it was just so... confusing.}
You mean where it turns out that
The bad witch that stabbed you in the past in fact turning out to be brainwashed by angels and was originally sworn to defend you. Theres things called the eyes of the world that have incredible power, the witches have one the sages have the other, turns out that its people not gems. You and Baldur (your father). He summons past-bayonetta (cereza) so that she can properly become the Eye, ironically due to Bayonetta inspiring and helping her. He summons The Creator using the power, aldur being the Right Eye (and your father) and thus together summoning The Creator...which will destroy everything to make something new in its place. Jeanne rescues Bayonetta, Jubileus goes out of control, but Bayonetta takes it down and saves the world. And her past self is sent back in time to thus grow up and become her and save the world.
You're set up to think that Bayonetta is dead at the end, but of course its a bluff just like Rodan was doing at the beginning of the game and she's fine. Jeanne and Bayonetta team up and fight crime. And by crime I mean angels.
Oh, and as a sidenote, the reporters dad was in fact killed by angels, he just couldn't see them, so his angst and perverse sexual lust is happily resolved.

See? Not at ALL confusing. Completely straightforward apart from all the loops and paradoxes. :B

Personally I would mention endings like Crackdown 2s, but I'm not sure if that was really a letdown so much as continuing a fine trend.
Oddly...I am often disappointed by the ending to Pokemon games. A fair few of them lack after-E4 content, and certainly lack good content.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
ScoopMeister said:
So wait, you two didn't like the ending of Halo 2 just because it was a cliffhanger? More specially, Fanboy, do you just not like cliffhangers in general? They're a way of getting the reader/watcher/player hooked and wanted to know more, so that they buy the next installment. But they do the opposite for you? Or am I reading this wrong? I personally really liked Halo 2's ending- it had just enough suspense and awesomeness to be effective for me.
Yes, I think they are a sloppy marketing device that denies the player/viewer/reader closure from the narrative. If the designers want to get me "hooked" then they should make a satisfying game with a proper ending. They did not "leave me wanting more" they left me wanting a damn ending, haha.

I don't like them in movies, games, or books; I think these products should work as a stand alone story. The only place I accept cliffhangers are in television, and even then I don't generally like them when they are at the end of the season. The fact that it is common to have them doesn't mean I should learn to like them.