Biggest letdown of 2012 (Movies, Tv, Video Games, Books, Music)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
What was your biggest let down this year?

For me it was The Dark Knight Rises. It was painfully average and didn't live up to the first two films. My main problems with the movie:

1. Batman disappeared for 8 years, and so did Bruce Wayne, how the fuck does nobody put two and two together. Not even James Gordon. Only a couple people knew who he was (more on that in number two)

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character. First off, his way of figuring out that Bruce Wayne was Batman was fucking stupid. You knew it by the look on his face? What the hell is that about? Also the twist of his real name being "Robin". That was bullshit. This is what they should've done, named him Richard Blake and then at the end reveal his birth name as being Richard Grayson, why the fuck was that so hard to do?

3. Bane should have been the only villain. The twist with Miranda being Talia Al Ghul was weak and added almost nothing to the movie.

4. Bane's death. That was the weakest death scene I have ever seen. Seriously, Catwoman kills Bane. That was dumb.

5. When Bruce Wayne gets sent to that hole in the middle east, how does he get back to Gotham so quickly and easily?

6. Gotham was under Bane's control for 3 months, it sure as hell didn't seem like it.

7. Bruce Wayne and Batman both die at the end of the movie, and still nobody figures it out.

8. Bruce Wayne is at that cafe in Europe, surely that would attract some kind of media attention considering he's BRUCE WAYNE who's supposed to be dead.

9. How is Joseph Gordon Levitt's character supposed to become Batman? He has absolutely no training.

Anyways, enough ranting. What was your biggest let down in entertainment this year? Oh yeah, don't say Mass Effect 3's ending, everybody says that.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Man with the Iron Fists. I expected it to be at least kind of fun -- the kind of movie you can sit back with friends and enjoy, either because it has some genuinely good action or because it's so bad it winds up being funny.

I saw it with a friend. Both of us found it a complete waste of time.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
The Dark Knight Rises was pretty much never going to live up to expectations set by the 2nd. The sooner everybody realizes that, the sooner people can enjoy it on a surface level instead of picking it apart.

I would say The Amazing Spider Man. I didn't expect it to be as good as the originals, but damn. How do you take two of the best young actors today and just completely squander them with vapid dialogue that hard?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Total Recall. I wasn't expecting it to be really good in the first place, and I got a bit of enjoyment out of it. But it just wasn't even up to the low standards I'd set.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'm gonna say it anyways OP, the Mass Effect conclusion was the biggest letdown of the year.

After that it's definitely Ted and The Dark Knight Rises.

I don't what I was expecting from Ted, but I didn't think it basically be a 90 minute Family Guy episode

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
I rather enjoyed Dark Knight Rises dispiste all its (painfully obvious) flaws.

I was disappointed by Dredd, It just ended up as a bland action movie with a few good visual elements.

Assassins Creed 3 was a mild dissapointment, I guess i just expected a bit more from it. specially after playing AC2.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Inb4 Mass Eff-
Kenbo Slice said:
Oh yeah, don't say Mass Effect 3's ending, everybody says that.
Oh.

I'm going to tweak the phrasing a little bit and say that my biggest disappointment of this year was finding out that Underoath is going to be breaking up in early 2013. As one of my favorite bands, it makes me feel a bit sad to know they won't be creating any new music as a singular unit anymore.

I'm not really sure anything I've seen or played this year has really been a let down.

Wait.

The ending of Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. It just felt like such a blatant, unapologetic sequel-hook, in the worst possible way.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Inb4 Mass Eff-
Kenbo Slice said:
Oh yeah, don't say Mass Effect 3's ending, everybody says that.
Oh.

I'm going to tweak the phrasing a little bit and say that my biggest disappointment of this year was finding out that Underoath is going to be breaking up in early 2013. As one of my favorite bands, it makes me feel a bit sad to know they won't be creating any new music as a singular unit anymore.

I'm not really sure anything I've seen or played this year has really been a let down.

Wait.

The ending of Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. It just felt like such a blatant, unapologetic sequel-hook, in the worst possible way.
I agree, Underoath breaking up is a pretty big letdown as well. It's like when Haste the Day broke up all over again.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
You forgot the part where...

...every police officer gets sent into the sewers. Every single one of them.

Did eight years of not fighting organized crime really make Gordon that incompetent?

OT: John Carter and Brave.

I wasn't even looking forward to these movies at all, being well aware of how they were received. And still they were the most disappointing experiences I've had all year. They're worse than just bad movies, they are movies that totally waste your time.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Nothing compares to star control 3 and spore.

This year ain't got shit in terms of disappointment.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I feel this is appropriate with some the complains with The Dark Knight Rises
I watch it for the first time last night and while it's alright but I do agree with some of the discussion made in the film.

Anyway, the biggest letdown for me was the sequel to the anime Eureka 7, Eureka 7: AO.
That show had gone away with the awesome style, characters we loved and terminology and it almost established its own setting. Sure I should accept it being its own anime than being a sequel to that but I can't due to some of the connection it has to the first series and with it being a confusing mess due to its time travel and altering nonsense. The only good thing about that series was the soundtrack was still good as the first series.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The Dark Knight Rises, for pretty much the reasons mentioned in the OP, it was full of plot holes and at times incredibly dull. Its probably because the previous film was so good that this one failed to live up to expectations.

A Flash Flood of Colour by Enter Shikari, save for a couple of tracks, this album was pretty dull. Another band to jump on the dubstep bandwagon and suffer for it because they don't know how to do it in an interesting way. Also, their political ranting is kinda one dimensional and childish, both The Kind Blues and Sonic Boom Six put out better albums this year than Enter Shikari.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mas... oh, right, right.

Yeah, guess I'll go with Dark Knight Rises too.

Thing is, I didn't even have any expectations. I liked Dark Knight, but I wasn't crazy about it. Rises was just plain dumb. That big climactic charge scene with the cops made me laugh at how stupid it was. The only interesting thing was Bane and [REDACTED] origin story, and that was brushed over in a few quick scenes. Oh, and they pussy-ed out at the end too, undermining the one good scene in the movie.

Also, Brave.

I'm used to Pixar movies being fantastic. Brave was mildly entertaining at best.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Dark Knight Rises (I know everyone's already said that, but shut up)

Mass Effect 3 Not only for the ending!. I thought a lot of the dialogue was terribly written, and I hated how they treated quests. Also, some quests I got were quests I couldn't complete until later, because that particular star cluster wasn't on the star map yet.

The announcement of The Hobbit being 3 parts. It's like 200 pages. And this is Peter Jackson, so every film is going to be 3+ hours. I just can't fanthom how this will work.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Three games come to mind: Assassin's Creed 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, and Darksiders 2.

Assassin's Creed 3 mainly for the fact that a lot of the sidequests felt like padding. Things regarding Desmond (mostly towards the end) were also pretty bad. Quite a bit of bugs as well.

Resident Evil was just so...short. I get that its mostly for multiplayer, but even the singleplayer just wasn't that awesome considering it was like a weird "What if" scenario. Had fun, but not in a "This was worth $60" kind.

Darksiders 2 could have been better. I actually like Death better than War, and the somewhat different playstyle he has was fine too. Just felt there was almost no reason to buy anything. Things eventually became a bit repetitive, and towards the end I sort of lost interest in what Death's main goal was just because of all the running around and useless back and forth the game forced me to do. I liked the first characters you meet in the first world, but was never really able to connect with any other character after leaving it for some reason. Again, the game was fun, but I definitely wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Not strictly TV, but my biggest disappointment is having to wait until 2013 for more Space Janitors. I didn't expect to like that show as much as I did, but now I have to wait and wait....

Oh, and Bane sucked in Dark Knight Rises too.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Gonna go ahead and say Prometheus. I really hoped it was going to expand upon the backstory of the Alien movies a lot more than it did.