Biggest plot holes

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
Shocksplicer said:
Looper was pretty awful with this.

We are explicitly shown that in Bruce Willis' timeline, he killed his future self, and went into retirement. Then the Rainmaker started offing Loopers for no apparant reason, and Bruce went back in time, preventing Joseph Gordon-Levitt from killing him.

At the end of the movie, Joe realises that the kid who will one day become the Rainmaker starts killing Loopers because Bruce Willis went back in time and killed his mum.
Despite the fact that we have been EXPLICITLY shown that in Bruce's timeline he closed his loop, and the future Rainmaker's mum was never killed by future Joe. Because the Loop was closed. FAIL.

It's seriously like that movie switched writer/director midway through production. The second half was SO BAD.
I thought it was a case of creating an alternate timeline the moment something was changed. It made sense to me that way and it's what I thought they meant when character say "Thinking about time travel just makes your head hurt."
Nope. Even if it was an alternate timeline, events in one timline are still affecting the other, so it doesn't make sense. Like I said, Bruce Willis' timeline is affected by events that logically cannot have occured.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Shocksplicer said:

We are explicitly shown that in Bruce Willis' timeline, he killed his future self, and went into retirement. Then the Rainmaker started offing Loopers for no apparant reason, and Bruce went back in time, preventing Joseph Gordon-Levitt from killing him.

At the end of the movie, Joe realises that the kid who will one day become the Rainmaker starts killing Loopers because Bruce Willis went back in time and killed his mum.
Despite the fact that we have been EXPLICITLY shown that in Bruce's timeline he closed his loop, and the future Rainmaker's mum was never killed by future Joe. Because the Loop was closed. FAIL.

It's seriously like that movie switched writer/director midway through production. The second half was SO BAD.
I thought it was a case of creating an alternate timeline the moment something was changed. It made sense to me that way and it's what I thought they meant when character say "Thinking about time travel just makes your head hurt."
Nope. Even if it was an alternate timeline, events in one timline are still affecting the other, so it doesn't make sense. Like I said, Bruce Willis' timeline is affected by events that logically cannot have occured.
That's why he starts having it affect his memories etc, it takes time for the changes to take effect in that way perhaps?. It makes sense to me enough to enjoy the film, time travel is not what most would consider an exact (fictional) science, but it worked well enough to make the film enjoyable and was capable of suspension of disbelief for me and my friends. But I see where you're coming from.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well, I've yet to find a decent explanation of how the plot of Mass Effect 1 continues to make any sense following the revelations about the Citadel and the Catalyst in Mass Effect 3. Did the last surviving Protheans mentioned in ME1 unplug the Catalyst, or something? If so, why didn't they mention it to Vigil to tell anyone else who came along? If the Citadel itself is sentient and has the Keepers effectively working for it, couldn't it fix the problem without Saren or Sovereign's intervention? Surely even if the Protheans just disconnected one important thing that allows the Reapers to come through the Citadel, the Catalyst still could've summoned them at that point, thousands of years before anyone else even reached the Citadel.

And another thing, in Mass Effect 3 near the end they mention that the Reapers moved the Citadel to earth. How? No one seems surprised by this. Does the Citadel have a mass effect core? Did they drag it? Did they use cables? I thought that only things with mass effect drives could use the relay system, so how did they get the Citadel through them to Earth? I'm not asking for a huge question or anything, it just seems that they manage to move this thing very quickly without anyone noticing and without anyone questioning it.

Princess Trollestia said:
I've seen many plot holes in my travels, both big and small, or tight and slick. Not to say I don't enjoy plot holes, though!

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
While the books imply that Sauron is more of a metaphorical eye than a literal fiery one, both the film and the book share the same thing in common: to be caught directly in Sauron's gaze is to suffer the biggest case of mind-rape this side of Cthulhu. Having the Dark Lord stare at you is akin to having your soul stripped from its bones. Lest we forget, in the film adaption of Fellowship, Frodo twice is caught in Sauron's gaze, and each time it reduces him to the state of a rabbit caught in the headlights. The second time, he damn near throws himself off the top of a watchtower to escape Sauron's glare.

Remember this scene?

Additionally, in the books (and partly in ROTK) we get even more insight into the effect Sauron's presence has on mortals. Pippin looks into the Palantir, gets directly caught in Sauron's presence, and has a mental breakdown as a result. When they find him, he's a complete wreck. Only Gandalf's semi-telepathic abilities are able to bring him back to any kind of normalcy, though even recollecting the experience is incredibly painful for him thereafter. Similarly, Lord Denethor was also ensnared by Sauron using a palantir, and went completely mad and devoid of hope as a result. Aragorn looks into the Palantir to challenge Sauron, and in his own words the Dark Lord nearly breaks him. The others feel that the encounter prematurely ages him somewhat. Saruman looked into the palantir, and was so driven to despair by Sauron that he felt the only viable option was to end up siding with the big bad.

That is the effect that being looked at by Sauron has. The strongest willed characters in the story are driven to the point of madness, and lesser characters are completely crushed by his presence. If there is one golden rule in Lord Of The Rings, it is do not directly attract Sauron's attention, as he will rape your mind and utterly destroy you.

So with that in mind, which do you think is a better option? Laying low, and trying to sneak to Mt Doom without catching his attention? Or hopping on the back of the largest winged creatures in Middle Earth, and flying in a straight line directly towards the one character who will turn your mind into sushi just by looking at you'? Bearing in mind that the object that you're supposed to be destroying is actively trying to be found, and will attract Sauron's attention by itself first chance it gets, though it isn't exactly going to be hard for him to miss a posse of giant frickin' eagles headed straight towards him.

All of this is regardless of the fact that he has Fell Beasts and other creatures/weapons to launch at the Eagles in response (the Witch King by himself would be able to flay the minds of any posse of eagles stupid enough to head in his direction, whether or not they bring Gandalf with him), and that as soon as he realises they're heading towards Mordor, rather than say Minas Tirith, he can just send a battalion of Orcs to the top of Mt Doom (remember that he specifically keeps a path clear to the top of the mountain at all times) and have them wait there for the eagles to arrive. Flying directly towards Mordor is stupid in and of itself, simply because Frodo and co would have to spend at least several hours flying directly into Sauron's line of sight, and try to not let their minds turn to complete porridge as a result.

If the Fellowship didn't want to get corrupted, driven to despair or utterly mentally broken as a result of entering a staring contest with Sauron, then trying to avoid line of sight and going the sneaky walking route was the only option. Anything else, including trying to hitch a lift with the Eagles, would have utterly failed due to Sauron's ability to break minds from afar.

Also, the only reason the Ring even got destroyed was because Gollum stole it at the last minute and ended up falling in himself. The whole point was that, when it came to it, Frodo couldn't willingly give it up, and it took an act of god for the thing to be destroyed. If they hypothetically did get to Mt Doom via Eagle transit, and Frodo decided to keep it for himself... how would the Ring get destroyed then? Bearing in mind that a posse of Eagles can't exactly hang about in Mordor under Sauron's gaze while working out what to do next.

If you want a real plot hole from the films, consider this one instead: In The Two Towers, when Frodo and Sam get sidetracked in Osgiliath (ugh!), Frodo gets ambushed by a Nazgul, and in a moment of weird behaviour, actually offers the Ring to the Nazgul hovering before him. The damn thing literally gets within two inches of snapping the Ring back for Sauron.

In Return of The King, Pippin looks into the Palantir, and ends up being tormented by Sauron. According to Gandalf and Merry, Sauron now believes that Pippin has the Ring, and is going to lash out at Minas Tirith pre-emptively as a result.

...except, why would Sauron think that Pippin has the ring in Rohan/Isengard, when he knows for a fact that the Ringbearer was in Osgiliath, the other side of Minas Tirith? His own Nazgul have discovered that Frodo has cleared the distance from Rohan, has ended up on the other side of Minas Tirith and is actually heading his way to Mordor via Osgiliath? Why would Sauron want to attack Minas Tirith when his own emissaries have discovered that Frodo's already cleared past it, and is on his way eastwards?

In the book, Frodo never gets discovered anywhere near Osgiliath, and Sauron's move to attack Gondor comes as result of misdirection from Aragorn fooling him into thinking he has the Ring, and is going to go on the offensive with it. Sauron thinks Isildur's Heir is now the biggest threat, and moves to wipe out Gondor before Aragorn can unite its people under his banner, and use the Ring to assault Mordor. In the film? None of that happens, so none of Sauron's offensive makes any sense. If the Nazgul had seen Frodo in Osgiliath, then surely he would have spent all his resources in capturing Osgiliath, and then from there ascertaining exactly where Frodo went with the Ring, rather than simply assuming Frodo went back to Minas Tirith after already (seemingly) come from there. The whole thing is a mish-mash of illogical tactics and reasoning which don't bear up to scrutiny.

That's a plot hole worth looking at.

Here's a real plot hole concerning Sauron. If Sauron looking at you is pure mind fuck, how come the army distracting him at the gates of Mordor isn't incapacitated and slaughtered at the end of the third book? It wouldn't have stopped Frodo from destroying the ring, but still.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
Shocksplicer said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Shocksplicer said:

That's why he starts having it affect his memories etc, it takes time for the changes to take effect in that way perhaps?. It makes sense to me enough to enjoy the film, time travel is not what most would consider an exact (fictional) science, but it worked well enough to make the film enjoyable and was capable of suspension of disbelief for me and my friends. But I see where you're coming from.
Yeah, I couldn't get past it. I immediately noticed that the story didn't make a lick of sense, and that really just ruined the movie for me.

For the record, it still can't make sense, because in the original timeline stuff happened that was caused by time travel, before any time travel occurred.
And I'm pretty sure that whole "it starts affecting his memories" thing was only there to be intentionally confusing and try to distract from the plotholes.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Five pages of this and alot of it is summed up in "No it isn't, yes it is". Sometimes, people just complain too much.

Juan Cantu

Dec 30, 2011
DarthAcerbus said:
Juan Cantu said:
Agow95 said:
For me, it's when Elrond says, "I was there when the strength of men failed", as clearly the strength of elves also failed that day, because Elrond had a sword, and didn't do anything, if he had at least lost to Isildur in a short fight, I'd understand, but he kinda just stood there shouting while Isildur walked past him with the ring of power.
Personaly I would have at least tried to fight Isildur, but seeing that he had a ring that just a few time ago swooshed hundreds of dudes so easily I would have been afraid.

I didn't read the books, so I don't know if anyone used the ring at that point, so I'm not sure, yet I would have at least tried to kill him fast and from a distance.

captcha: weakest link. Maybe Elrond is... the weakest link.
Remember that bit where Galadriel refused to even touch the ring because she would be corrupted? And how Gandalf does the same thing? Elrond is in a similar situation. He might not be on the same level as Galadriel, or even Gandalf, but he is the third Elven ring-bearer, and probably was afraid to even touch the One Ring because he would get corrupted.
Kill him with a bow, drag him from the foot and throw his ass into the volcano, now that would have been a funny movie.

just kidding.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
bug_of_war said:
deathbydeath said:
Mass Effect 2 is the world's worst plot hole.
Care to explain why?
*sigh* Do I have too? It'd take forever to type up, and it'd be easier for you to loop smudboy's series or the Spoiler Warning season until you heard enough whining.

I will if you want me too, but it'll take forever to type up and take up time I could have used to fornicate or pull my fingernails out.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Juan Cantu said:
DarthAcerbus said:
Juan Cantu said:
Agow95 said:
For me, it's when Elrond says, "I was there when the strength of men failed", as clearly the strength of elves also failed that day, because Elrond had a sword, and didn't do anything, if he had at least lost to Isildur in a short fight, I'd understand, but he kinda just stood there shouting while Isildur walked past him with the ring of power.
Personaly I would have at least tried to fight Isildur, but seeing that he had a ring that just a few time ago swooshed hundreds of dudes so easily I would have been afraid.

I didn't read the books, so I don't know if anyone used the ring at that point, so I'm not sure, yet I would have at least tried to kill him fast and from a distance.

captcha: weakest link. Maybe Elrond is... the weakest link.
Remember that bit where Galadriel refused to even touch the ring because she would be corrupted? And how Gandalf does the same thing? Elrond is in a similar situation. He might not be on the same level as Galadriel, or even Gandalf, but he is the third Elven ring-bearer, and probably was afraid to even touch the One Ring because he would get corrupted.
Kill him with a bow, drag him from the foot and throw his ass into the volcano, now that would have been a funny movie.

just kidding.
I think that's the best how it should have ended type idea I've ever read. Quite the rib tickler.

As the title doesn't say whether its movie specific or just plot holes in general, I'll go with one I just saw.

About a quarter of the way through, Holmes and Watson get a tip that they may want to investigate an uncatchable thief, one who despite years of searching, going over various pieces of evidence in detail, with a fine tooth comb, no one has ever had a hint of who they might be. He's in the wind. Some people don't even believe this guy exists.

Literally two seconds later, we're treated to Sherlock looking at two big pictures on the top of a file and going, yup, found him.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
deathbydeath said:
*sigh* Do I have too? It'd take forever to type up, and it'd be easier for you to loop smudboy's series or the Spoiler Warning season until you heard enough whining.

I will if you want me too, but it'll take forever to type up and take up time I could have used to fornicate or pull my fingernails out.
Well it is a forum on worst/biggest plot holes, and seeing as how most people are pointing out things that are not plot holes (such as the Dantes Peek grandma scenario) I'm curious to see if one of my most loved games has plot holes or not. I'm not looking to start an argument (and lets try and leave ME3 out of it, I love it, you may not, been talked to death about on every website). So while I would hate to get in your way from self mutilation or fornication, I would like to know the "plot holes" that you believe are present in ME2.