Biggest video game regret

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Losing my gamecube when I was moving................ goddamn it, it hurts just to remember. I got a PS2 soon after and rode the plethora of greatness that had, but a part of me still wishes I had that gamecube to go back to now and then.

As for games that gave me some mad buyers remorse:
LA Noir.
Bioshock Infinite.
Dark Souls 2.
and Destiny (well, luckily I rented it. But the amount of MEH in that game is preeeetty extreme).

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I have a couple.

First one is a bit of a story. My high school has this little media room that is barely supervised where students figured was a good place to get high. But my friends and I dragged a Gamecube and original Xbox up there and played a lot of smash and Halo 2. Problem is that they were my consoles and I didn't exactly get all the parts back so now I got an Xbox and Gamecube without the cables to run them. I'm sure I can get the parts online but eh, the Wii and 360 are backwards compatible so I'm not really in a hurry. Still, having these big chunks of plastic lying around isn't great either.

Second, learning the plot of Spec Ops: The Line before playing it. Extra Credits seemed quite taken with it so I completely ignored they're spoiler warnings thinking the twists can't be that great and then they totally were. Gosh darn it.

Oh, I have one more.
Not being smart enough to understand Bioshock Infinite's ending. I'm a guy who likes to be spoon-fed information, call me dumb, that's just how I take my entertainment, easy to understand, I don't think too much when partaking in entertainment, so Infinite's ending really threw me for a loop. The main reason I regret is is because as I slowly came to understand it, the revelations slowly revealed themselves, which would usually be fine when telling a story but the ending of Infinite is clearly meant to be one big punch. I had all this information not understanding it and as I slowly *started* to understand it, I was re-learning it without any punch. I tried freaking meditation to try to get my mind in a place that could feel the weight of the ending properly and I almost got there but it didn't completely take. Still, I think it's a pretty great ending even if I didn't feel it as much as I could have.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Not buying suikoden 2 when it first came out . Not it's nigh unfindable.

Not buying cenoblade chronicals

Not buying the entire ps2 .hack series ( 8 games i think) for 240$ at my local game store.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Preordering the Collector's Edition of Halo Wars for 80 USD. At the time, I was a huge fan of the Command & Conquer and Halo franchises. When I learned that there was going to be a Halo RTS (for a console no less!), I got all excited for some damn reason. This of course, was before I had disposable income. I had to make what little money I got from special occasions count, and boy, did I fuck up royally at that point.

It wasn't a bad game per se. Hell, I think it actually nailed the prospect of remaining loyal to the franchise while having competent RTS controls. But it somehow met absolutely none of my expectations. Thinking back, I don't even know what my expectations were. My interest died off quickly. All that money down the drain, for nothing.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
*looks at OP title*

*skims through posts*

Seriously, you guys?

Aside from that, not finding out about Persona fast enough. That series has replaced my primary RPG needs, outshining Final Fantasy. I liked the older FF games, but this new direction FF is going is not for me. I like a decent story with my experience, hence my reasons for liking Wild ARMs, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger and now the Ys series.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I paid 20 dollars for mafia II and all of it's DLC. A game that makes you walk through a prison slowly and clean toilets. Along with selling cigarettes and driving slowly from point A to point B. And at one time, I couldn't even change the radio station, and it wasn't a bug.

In fact, let me show you the two worst chapters in the game.

20 dollars. 20 fucking dollars and I get to babysit drunk people and slowly walk around a prison. The DLC is there too, but it's just GTA III. Not kidding. You can customize your car, but it doesn't matter except when escaping police. You can get drunk, but it only has a shitty screen effect. And you can change clothes, also to get away from cops.

Oh! And this game also has traffic laws. Hit another car? Wanted level. Drive too fast? Wanted level. So if you want a game that's so soul crushingly realistic that it won't let you speed in your car without punishment, go ahead. It's right there.

Chapter 7 really pissed me off, though. This is one of the worst games I have ever played, and if I count the DLC, it is the worst sandbox game I have ever played. If you didn't like GTA IV, jesus christ stay away. Stay so far away.

AlouetteSK

Sep 4, 2014
Lived in a small neighborhood. Back in Elementary. Got a Gameboy with Pokemon Red for my birthday. Had several friends in school. After playing for a long time, a "friend" asked to borrow my game cartridge in exchange for me borrowing one of those cheap electronic games you can get at McDonalds. Next day I asked how was the game so far.
"What game?"
>"The pokemon game I let you borrow"
"You never let me borrow anything."
His friends backed up his story until I told the teacher and showed him the game as proof. Called the parents to have a discussion. Apparently between the time I let him borrow it and the parents meeting the teacher, the punk "lost it". Never got it back.

*sighs*

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
In recent years, I'd say buying the PS3 version of Dragon Age: Origins. I knew it was an inferior version, but didn't realize how shoddily it was made until battle of Redcliffe.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
*looks at OP title*

*skims through posts*

Seriously, you guys?

Aside from that, not finding out about Persona fast enough. That series has replaced my primary RPG needs, outshining Final Fantasy. I liked the older FF games, but this new direction FF is going is not for me. I like a decent story with my experience, hence my reasons for liking Wild ARMs, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger and now the Ys series.
Totally unrelated but second best avatar of the day. In Godbert we trust.

OT: Probably buying CoD: Ghosts. Figured after I totally ignored Black Ops 2 for 6 months after it launched, then got it cheap and it was awesome and full of new things pushing the series forwards. Ghosts kind of did everything possible to be worse. Also the PC port choked nuts.

Jaegerbombastic

Sep 20, 2014
This piece of crap:

For reference. I had Rogue Spear when I was a kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever (even though I had no idea what I was doing). Then I bought R63 for the PC and thought that game was pretty awesome as well. So when I bought and Xbox and saw this game rolling around I thought "sweet! Rainbow Six but on a console! Its probably not gonna be as complicated as the PC games but it'll probably be a fun squad-based shooter" I was wrong. Almost no squad-based tactics, small weapons selection, and a storyline that was basically Team America if taken seriously. It was the first game that I felt I wasted perfectly good money.

For a more recent game, Kane and Lynch 2. The whole snuff-film angle and having everything take place in a 2 day period were pretty interesting concepts but with shitty execution. It also didn't help that I completed the campaign within a few days.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
*looks at OP title*

*skims through posts*

Seriously, you guys?

Had to quote this because it mentioned Ys, cause that's a great game series and there have been some pretty good moments in those games. If you haven't played it I would highly recommend Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. If you like Ys, you should love this game. Also have to agree about finding out about Persona, but now I have played most of the Persona games, and a number of the SMT and spinoffs as well, all ranging from good to amazing (Nocturne and P4).

The only regret I can really give is buying Pokémon X. I had gotten tired of the series and skipped the Black/White series, but decided to try it out one more time. While the grinding aspect wasn't to bad, I quit and sold it back after catching the Legendary, because there was no point anymore. Persona and SMT get that itch of collecting Demons for battle while having a great story and world for each game.

While I want to say giving away the various consoles over time, such as the SNES and N64, my parents were the ones who bought them and didn't let us keep them if we wanted a new system, because of space and they wanted to sell the old system so it was cheaper to get the new one. I plan on one day buying some of the older systems again.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I had a couple of points where I lost interest in gaming but what I really regret is choosing the Xbox instead of the Gamecube back in 2000 or so...what's worse is, I think my Dreamcast is what paid for that freaking Xbox...I missed my Dreamcast but have since replaced it and have more games for it now than I ever had back then.

When it comes to software, the DS Zelda games were both huge regrets...Skyward Sword was a gift so I hate that it was a game I hated but not as much a regret as the DS games, which I rented. Then there's Sonic...I liked the genesis games and, I liked Sonic CD though I've never beaten any of them. I did however beat Sonic Adventure and, Sonic 06. I played a bit of Sonic Unleashed but haven't finished it. Then there are the Sonic Storybook games...I could have bought 2 pizzas instead of those freaking discs...

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
selling my copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends (GCN) when i was younger. i had thought that the game was going to end soon and i didn't like that fact that 24 hours that the game was ending, what i didn't know was that there were more to the game than what i had expected.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I also want to add that one of my bigger gaming regrets is in no longer being able to play...

Gods, I had so much fun with him. ^_^