Bill Gates Says Power to the Poop

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Humanure has been around for some time. But no one wants to put human feces on their garden. collecting the methane is an interesting concept though.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
shintakie10 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
After Windows, I already assumed he be used to... Ah no, it's far too easy.

Tough call.

Would you cheer Jack Thompson giving all his litigation fees to Childsplay?

It's a good thing he's doing, but he got the ability to do it by doing bad things. Can one cancel the other?

I'll have to come back on this.
At this point its hard to really hold anythin against the guy. He did some douchey things while he was in charge of microsoft in its early and middle years. But the latter years and especially since he left he's been probably one of the more giving rich people out there. Theres a word for it...but I honestly can't think of it.
philanthropist is the word I'm 90% sure your after.

OT: interesting choice in an alternative energy source, that's for sure

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Greg Tito said:
excrement.
I quoted another thread that had that exact word in it (although that one was a typo).

Strangely enough though I found his idea and this one both bring up one thought .... that exact word.

Sep 14, 2009
Hagi said:
It's a good thing he's doing, but he got the ability to do it by doing bad things. Can one cancel the other?

I'll have to come back on this.
Being the #2 philanthropist in the world has to count for something... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_philanthropists#Greatest_philanthropists_by_amount_of_USD]

Granted, 29 billion is a lot easier to give away if your net worth is guessed at 59 billion. But still, that's a hell load of money....

And even with the bad stuff taken into account he's probably doing more good for the world then those who've done volunteer work their entire lives whenever possible.
this.

yeah he's done some douchey things in his younger years, but holy hell you gotta give the guy credit for taking charge and really doing some great things for the world longer term (hopefully, if things work out like it seems they are going to with some of these ideas.)

so yeah, thanks gates for using your money on these things instead of gold plated boats and shit!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'm not normally one for posting images on the forums, but I think this one may be relevant to the thread.

May 28, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
So maybe afterwards he can donate some money to help combat over-population(or whatever you call that in english. I think i'm right though >_>)
By helping to improve living conditions worldwide he's actually doing just that. When the death rate goes down in a country what's keeping the birth rate up?

Oh right, now I'm supposed to make a pun.

I shit you not.

Aha. Haaaaaaaa. I feel bad now.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
It's a good thing he's doing, but he got the ability to do it by doing bad things.
What bad things are we talking about? did he enslave third-world populations for the manufacture of his products like one of his peers? Did he fling lawsuits at anyone doing anything remotely like it? Did he refuse startup companies attempting to get a slice of his pie?

Nope. He didn't. Tell me again how Bill Gates is a horrible devil?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
So maybe afterwards he can donate some money to help combat over-population(or whatever you call that in english. I think i'm right though >_>)
By helping to improve living conditions worldwide he's actually doing just that. When the death rate goes down in a country what's keeping the birth rate up?
Well, i thought about that myself too, but i suppose that could go either way. Big families are just something people want in certain parts of the world so i guess some places the birth rate would go down and in some it would go up. What i'm holding out for is a gradual decline.

Feb 13, 2008
Ympulse said:
It's a good thing he's doing, but he got the ability to do it by doing bad things.
What bad things are we talking about? did he enslave third-world populations for the manufacture of his products like one of his peers? Did he fling lawsuits at anyone doing anything remotely like it? Did he refuse startup companies attempting to get a slice of his pie?
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft_Windows

A US state lawsuit was brought against Microsoft in 1992 representing 8,558 current and former employees that had been classified as "temporary" and "freelance", and became known as Vizcaino v. Microsoft. In 1993, the suit became a US Federal Class Action in the United States District Court Western District Of Washington At Seattle as No. C93-178C. The Final Settlement[44] came in 2005. The case was decided on the (IRS-defined) basis that such "permatemps" had their jobs defined by Microsoft, worked alongside regular employees doing the same work, and worked for long terms. After a series of court setbacks including three reversals on appeal, Microsoft settled the suit for US $93 million.
Microsoft has also come under criticism for developing software capable of analyzing the output of remote sensors in order to measure the competence and productivity of workers based on their physical responses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation

Apple, who you're obviously referring to, have done "bad things" as well, without going into Sony's criminally lax security and licensing scandals, but Bill Gates has done some "bad things".

That's why it's more difficult to paint him as a philanthropist now.

Granted, 29 billion is a lot easier to give away if your net worth is guessed at 59 billion. But still, that's a hell load of money....
Once you get over a certain amount to sustain your lifestyle, all your money is excess. If I gave away 50% of my income, would I be held in as much reverence?

I'm not saying what he's doing isn't wonderful, I'm just balancing it against some of the terrible things he's done to get that money.
And even with the bad stuff taken into account he's probably doing more good for the world then those who've done volunteer work their entire lives whenever possible.
Now here's the really scary point. Are you saying that Bill Gates is a better person than someone like Mother Theresa, who devoted her entire life to looking after others?

Because then you're measuring charity strictly based on business terms.

edit: Steve Jobs will always be a tyrannical bully though. Gates may redeem himself.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
Now here's the really scary point. Are you saying that Bill Gates is a better person than someone like Mother Theresa, who devoted her entire life to looking after others?

Because then you're measuring charity strictly based on business terms.

edit: Steve Jobs will always be a tyrannical bully though. Gates may redeem himself.
Mother Teresa was no saint (see what I did there?):

[Mother Teresa] has also been criticized for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus. Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International, criticised the failure to give painkillers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could "hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers are even in hard cases not given. According to Mother Teresa's philosophy, it is 'the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ'."(http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/mother_teresa/sanal_ed.htm)
Bill Gates did some sketchy things while running Microsoft, even some arguably illegal things, but he didn't torture people to help them "be closer to God."

Jaso11111

Sep 22, 2010
-All rahit men i gatherd you all here so that you can build the next generetion of toilets!!
-But sir wh-
-You fired! Yes you, in your office, get your stuff, get out.
Science isnt about why its about why not!
So get out there and make me some poop-turn-electrisity toilets!!!

Bill Gates where done here

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
I really like seeing huge donations like this. Prize funds for humanitarian development is a great thing. Philanthrocapitalism is working, it seems.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Brb, helping this project. *GROOOOOOOAN*

Nah, but in all seriousness, this is a great idea! I mean, water is contaminated as it is. It's not as bad as to make people drop dead as soon as they drink it, and some states are worst at this than others, but hey, it sounds repulsive, but poop is not as nasty as you might think. I mean, it's a natural waste. A smelly natural waste but it's still natural.

It sounds like a crappy idea, but it might just work if they get their shit together.

...Sorry, had to contribute some more.

Okay, okay! Back to what I do the most. I'm glad to hear it is finally paying off; all those years of training. *Closes restroom door*

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
Holy Shit! oh god im sorry for that. honestly though this is a cool thing which i personally never would thought of. why, i eat so much tacobell my waste could power a small town.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Gates has been doing these philanthropic activities for years, he's given around $25 billion away- that's a hell of a lot; I wonder why he doesn't enjoy the same kind, philanthropic, and pleasant perception from the public the late Steve Jobs did?