BILL S.978 TO SEND LET'S PLAYERS AND KARAOKE SINGERS TO PRISON

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010

Link mentioned in vid:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&r...

So, yeah. We make an amazing triumph, then this happens. As described in the vid, the bill is still new and has yet to really be considered, let alone passed, and it is a form of government censorship on the internet. The bill is apparently vague on several points and states that it should be illegal for anyone to post copyrighted content on the internet.
No more show clips.
No more music clips.
And, as for why I posted this thread in this forum section, no more videogame footage

Apparently it also entails the public performance of said material, making the whole Let's Play phenomena a literal crime that could lead to being fined or even sent to prison.

1. It's been shown in studies before that gameplay footage on the net as it is now has in fact helped in the marketing of videogames. It's a major reason why a number of high profile to mediocre developers don't mind Let's Plays. For the most part it helps sell.
2. This isn't about piracy, since the reason why we should be actively fighting to squash this bug before it evolves into a beast is because of its ability to make posting ANY kind of FOOTAGE [not the actual game/movie/OST itself, but clips and so on] from a game (or movie or show or audio etc.) ILLEGAL.

-Posting footage of you and your buddies fighting in Smash Bros or SF4 would be a CRIME
Fine or prison
-Posting footage which serves as an instructional video for games would be a CRIME
Fine or Prison
-Posting footage serving as a review of a game would be a CRIME
You get the idea

We need to kill this thing before it can walk, because if we let it get that far it'll sprint right into our freedoms and become a building block to true governmental censorship of the internet.

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
If it does go through there would be no way to logistically enforce it, in a way that will act as a deterant. The manpower and such needed to arrest and procecute would be unbelievable, with the cost to tax payers ever increasing.

Basicly if it goes through and they try there very best to enforce it then it would cost so bloody much that backlash just from a ficial point of view would be overwhelming.

Well thats my two cents anyway (as poor grammar makes translatable).

Bajinga

Jun 11, 2011
The bill is fair enough to things like music and movies. Games, however, are as X said,
"You know you can buy that game, and have that same experience yourself, but in your own way."
That's how games work, and without youtube, games just wouldn't sell.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
We need to start over with a blank slate, how about during the next election, Presidential, House, and Senate, we have a blank slate election, nobody can run again, and we have all new candidates for every area.

It's time we just remove everybody and see how some new people will work out. Along with this, all bills put into motion by people in power now, all get scrapped and removed to make room for the new people, so they don't have to deal or think about stuff that really doesn't matter and the government shouldn't even be discussing.

There are plenty of more important matters that they don't need to be working on crap like this.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That would be 90% of everything on media sites. Not gonna happen.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I can't see this happening. Aside from the ridiculous logistics, it seems quite illogical.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
who ever thought of this idea and people who are behind it

need to meet my friend Ezio, Master Chief and Cole Mcgarth

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I heard about this from an abridger. If it does go through (and if Let's plays and such really help sell games) then I imagine there'll be companies which'll redefine the copyright of their products to allow people to continue legally.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
But aren't there tons of other bills in effect to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen? I know parody and critique are protected under law, so those would override this new one.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Even if it went through, how are they planning on regulate that much of the internet? Just youtube´s LP community alone would be impossible...

US really do need new people to govern for them, since these people still live in the 20th century...

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Where the hell would they find grounds for it? Particularly for people who live outside the USA. Oh, right, I forgot. American media often forgets that people exist outside the USA. See also: Hulu. [/sarcasm]

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Its not going to go through it would be way to big a mess to for the government to deal with. Companies need to just get their head out of their ass and work with the Internet not against it.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Bajinga said:
The bill is fair enough to things like music and movies. Games, however, are as X said,
"You know you can buy that game, and have that same experience yourself, but in your own way."
They wouldnt? Jesus, how did the game industry survive so long without Youtube being around to make their games sell.

I'd be of the mind that if it applies to movies and music, it should apply to games as they too are copyrighted however that doesn't mean I want to see it go through. I don't see this getting far. At least without being reworded.

The only thing that annoys me about let's plays is when the channels I sub to on youtube go and put one up with a spoiler in the title.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Could have been reasonable, if you could show up to 20% of the content.

That way you can still have replays of game tournaments, because there's infinite possibilities and for music and video you can still demonstrate why something is good or bad.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Jesus Phish said:
Bajinga said:
They wouldnt? Jesus, how did the game industry survive so long without Youtube being around to make their games sell.
He may have some point with Youtube, I think that youtube is a great way to let other people that are not that much into gaming (that dont go to gaming sites) what games are out there.

Games never sold as much as now but they managed to mantain profit because of their production values, they are more expensive to make now and need to sell more to have profit.

Youtube (and other websites) may help a bit to promote the game.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
I just realised that miracle of sound and moviebob will get hit hard by this bill