Binary Domain Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Binary Domain Review

The war between man and machine heats up in Binary Domain.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm the plot does awfully sound similar to this cgi animated film Vexille (Japan is isolated itself due to having doddy technology so they send a team to investigate it).
Still from the look of the game it does look good.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Cover Based combat: check
Watered down RPG elements: check
Squad Loyalty affecting the game: check
Awesome ass-kicking smart-ass robot sidekick: check

I'm getting a real Mass Effect 2 vibe from this, and you know what? I'm okay with that. This is one of those times where a game I would never heard of otherwise crosses my path thanks to a review, and definitely looks like something I will be purchasing at my next opportunity.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Sega: Yet again proving that provided the game doesn't have the word 'sonic' in it's title, chances are the games actually somewhat good. (Until they release at-least one more good sonic game, I'm gonna count Generations as just a lucky game that wasn't bogged down with as many bugs as it's predecessors).

Also Sega: When can we possibly expect another 3D shinobi outing on Consoles? Seriously, enough is enough. I know we had the 3DS game but, cmon, can we get another console Shinobi game already? ...Please?

OT: Ok, honestly, this game doesn't look too bad and i might give it a look at a later date when i can. Plus, french Robot side-kick..what's not to love about that?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Never heard of this game until now, and it does sound and look pretty interesting.

That French robot just might make me get it.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The shooting is fairly decent and the enemy robots come apart in a satisfying spray of sparking metal scrap.

But there's so much missing or should have been missing from this game.

The reputation mechanic is unnecessary and frankly idiotic: a hardened squad of trained soldiers - even mercenaries - isn't going to decide not to take care of flanking enemies just because you stole their juicebox from their lunch. The kind of juvenile attitudes the characters bring to the fore is more akin to a team of 13 year-olds trying to start a rock band, while playing the game Rock Band. I don't like having to pander to each character's petty issues just so they won't throw a big sulk while robots are trying to kill them. A better game would develop the team to match the player's leadership style, and not the other way around. If I were the main character of this game, I'd tell them to shut the damn mouths and do their jobs, or they can start swimming to China right now: I don't have time for their B.S.

Second, the game is a little too challenging. Not in the "well-designed gameplay" kind of way, more a "we've never made a CPS (Covered-Person-Shooter) before, but we played a little Gears of War and thing we can wing it" kind of way. The enemy AI is pretty decent, but your teammates are complete morons, shoving you out of cover, charging on ahead of me while I'm pinned down and getting us all flanked, refusing to shoot at prime targets, and more.

Finally, I felt there was a great chance to add fear and horror into this game, and they completely fumbled it. The trailers and the game itself label themselves as being a game in the same vein as the classic Sega CD game Snatchers, but the idea of a machine race slowly replacing humanity - without us even knowing it - is a frightening thought and it could have opened up a lot of disturbing elements to the narrative: even the implication that a squad-mate (or even YOU) are a replicant android serving some secretive machine conspiracy would add so much depth.

But the game barely touches on the subject: you go into the game fighting blank faced mannequins and you even get one as a squad member, as if to say "robots are innocent, blameless creatures; it's probably those meddling humans that are the REAL threat." I haven't gotten through the entire game and probably never will, but I would not be surprised if the bad guy is a stereotypically Japanese human villain nihilistically convinced he's creating a better world by replacing the human race with robots.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
It sounds good. I've never heard of it, but this review has convinced me to pick it up. Maybe bargain bin, though. Or new if magically come across $60.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It sort of reminds me of Vanquish (a HIGHLY underrated TPS).

Game is probably a 20USD/rental though...cause, you know SEGA.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Actually sounds pretty good to me. I won't be picking it up at full price, but it'll definitely be making my short list of titles to keep an eye on for as far as price drops.

WMDogma said:
I started to wonder who exactly in Amada's R&D department thought building a huge robot super-gorilla was a good idea
Probably the one who played the Strider arcade game.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I think Vanquish is a better comparison rather than Gears of War. Still, looks a lot better than I expected.. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
That french robot does seem pretty awesome.
I played demo and as soon as I got to a part where you get Caine, I was sold. That and how robots shatter and break down as you shoot them. Trying to find this game is actually kind of tough in my town, I'm still looking.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
SEGA, y u no let me play as the awesome French robot?! Ah, maybe this is weird, but I always get annoyed when a game creates awesome robots and forces me to play as Military Meatsack #411. Games are about escapism and I am a meatsack every day so why won't they let me be a robot?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
....Geneva Convention. They couldn't have come-up with something more original, could they?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Hmm, kinda reminds me of Vanquish. Looks interesting, but probably nothing I haven't seen before.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The fight system reminds me of Dark Void, which was far less fun then it should have been... although that french robot looks pretty cool... even though im english.