BioShock 2 and Minerva's Den Get Full Steam Re-Release

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
BioShock 2 and Minerva's Den Get Full Steam Re-Release

The shooter sequel and its DLC are now available without Games For Windows.

BioShock 2 remains the most divided game of the franchise. Some praise its improved gameplay while other decry the lack of originality. However, the one thing that everyone can agree on is that Games For Windows sucks. Coincidentally, it's also dead. That's good for gamers, but bad for the games that used it. BioShock 2 was one of those games, and the collapse of the GFW Marketplace rendered addon packs like Minerva's Den unplayable. Thankfully, 2K Games is re-releasing it and all of its DLC into the comfortable confines of Steam.

The re-release version is complete with the Protector Trials pack and all the multiplayer DLC, with the Minerva's Den pack an extra $9.99. Digital Extremes has done some work on the multiplayer, as well. You can now search matchmaking for "any game", instead of browsing each game mode, and you'll level faster, too.

It's a full Steam release, complete with achievements and Big Picture controller support. If it sparks your interest, it's also [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/8850/]on sale[/a] for $10 until October 7th. If you're clutching your collectors edition box while stroking the pewter figurine, you can still partake, as you can register your activation key in Steam and nab a free copy.

Source: [a href=http://www.2kgames.com/blog/bioshock-2-and-all-its-dlc-now-available-on-steam]2K Games[/a]

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
Right on, free copy of Minerva's Den with the special edition I got during a clearance sale at EB Games as an employee for 8 bucks. Originally I bought it for the butterfly box.

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
This is undoubtedly one of my favorite games to play. While it didn't live up to the original story wise, though to be fair it is still a million years better then most games out there, the game was just so fun to play I didn't notice. Minerva's Den is still the best DLC I have ever played and I still have not played any downloadable content that can top it. I'll pick this up if I have the time.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
guys we should form some sort of a secret multiplayer group because I could do with some good old plasmid slinging.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Excellent news, however I have since parted with my packaging for bioshock 2... Any idea how I can go about getting my activation key without repurchasing?

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
R.Nevermore said:
Excellent news, however I have since parted with my packaging for bioshock 2... Any idea how I can go about getting my activation key without repurchasing?
I did a short search, and a fellow from another forum reported finding their key in a cdkey ini file in the game folder, if you have it currently installed.

I don't have the game, so I can't verify.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
IanDavis said:
If you're clutching your collectors edition box while stroking the pewter figurine, you can still partake, as you can register your activation key in Steam and nab a free copy.
I... wait... what pewter figurine?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It should be noted in the article that existing owners get this version automatically including Minerva's Den (I didn't buy it before). The controller support is also a welcome addition - I like using the analogue movement in Bioshock instead of running everywhere. I didn't think I'll touch this game anytime soon.

I hope that they do the same for Arkham City.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
As I already own the GFW version with the DLC, I get the Steam version free? 2K gets a tick for customer service for that, redeemable for forgiveness of one future, customer service mistake.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Thank you Escapist! As a proud owner of the butterfly box, this is going to be fun...

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
If I owned BS2 on Steam, does this mean that now I can play it again, or do I have to re-purchase it? I'm not seeing if that is the case...

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Bradeck said:
If I owned BS2 on Steam, does this mean that now I can play it again, or do I have to re-purchase it? I'm not seeing if that is the case...
It should have automatically updated if you have it on steam. It did so for me yesterday. All 3.3 gigs :p

rkaycom

Jun 20, 2012
What hell do you mean unplayable? The DLC on GFWL still worked/works fine. GFWL is still up and running and unless Microsoft says otherwise will continue to. All they did was take down the marketplace so you are unable to buy anything you didn't already own. You can still register new games on GFWL and still play multilayer games on their servers.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I did not care for the first one, and I'll probably never play this one, but I'm definitely impressed with 2K for this. Many companies would've left the game to die.

P.S. Thanks

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
ddrkreature said:
Bradeck said:
It should have automatically updated if you have it on steam. It did so for me yesterday. All 3.3 gigs :p
And you get Minerva's Den added on for free! :)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that was nice of 'em. If you liked BioShock 2 it's good news for you, too, anonymous reader. I was 'meh' about it but still, good news.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
As a testament to how well-received this was, I have yet to see anyone complain about the size of the update, even though it's much larger than it has any reason to be if you already have Minerva's Den and the Protector's Trials installed.

Oh yeah, you forgot to mention that they threw in all of the multiplayer DLC for free. To everyone, including people who buy the game in the future. Which is good news because one of those DLC was a map pack, and there's nothing worse in multiplayer than a fragmented player base.