BioShock 2 System Requirements, DRM Revealed

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I don't mind GFWL, though it is a bit of an inconvenience it's not a big deal and it logs me in automatically so I hardly notice it.

and can someone explain to me why Securom is bad? I know it's copy protection but how is it worse than any other kind? I've heard a lot of hate towards it but I'm not familiar with the reasons why. I've bought games with Securom before that have played fine for me.

If there was an install limit however, I wouldn't buy it. That kind of thing is just ridiculous.

Seems I won't have any problem maxing this game out (as I expected) from reading the system requirements. My computer is essentially double the requirements (except RAM of which I have 4GB) so that's good.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
We heard you like Steam, so we're shoving GFWL down you'r throat so you can...
And SecuROM as well?
Why can't developers and publishers just give in to 100% Steam instead of adding all sorts of not-so-tasty ingredients to the soup?

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I'll probably just pirate it just to laugh in Take Two's face.

Then uninstall it on my computer and get it for the 360.

TheComputerGamer

Jan 21, 2010
Folks, this sequel isn't even developed by the original Dev, Irrational Games. Irrational Games rock (Swat, Freedom Force, System Shock 2, Bioshock 1)! BS2 is developed by the Intellectual Property owners, 2K, and numerous sub contractors. Be happy with the ending in the first BS1, and move on to other games (unless Irrational comes back).

teletran3

Sep 10, 2008
WTF, I swear game publishers apparently have too much money and just want to fail to get rid of it.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Well, I have to thank this article. I was considering getting BioShock 2, and now I can happily say i'm not going to get it.

Seriously, Games for Windows - LIVE is the absolute worst thing a company can do to its game. It's clunky, obtrusive and downright enraging. Dawn of War II, Fallout 3 and Batman: Arkham Asylum were all plagued with this crap. It has been probably my main source of rage when playing PC games; from its bullshit inability to connect, its refusal to download "updates" and it stubbornly refusing to let me play my bloody game because it was having a hissy fit.

Screw you, GFWL. Also, screw you SecuRom.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Erm, why are we using Games for Windows? I mean, it can't be for unwanted DLC, because Steam offers that already.
Games for Windows makes it easier to just offer a single DLC package that everyone can download and use. Otherwise they would have to go through the added hassle of creating DLC for both Steam and for Retail.
Then release the game FOR Steam only. Steam already does the job of GFWL and the SecuROM part. Or maybe even Impusle that does the same thing as Steam. There's already 2 platforms that do GfWL job a lot better and that plenty of costumers prefer to use. Why the need to add a third one that since it's conception has been received with scorn by gamers.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Not again... That's exactly why I hate this craptastic gaming industry. And then, those "geniuses" blame the piracy that they so much encourage with their crap. I didn't buy the first Bioshock for this reason, I also won't buy the second one for the same reason. 2 and a half years later 2K/Take Two repeat the same mistake like retarded imbeciles.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
TheComputerGamer said:
Folks, this sequel isn't even developed by the original Dev, Irrational Games. Irrational Games rock (Swat, Freedom Force, System Shock 2, Bioshock 1)! BS2 is developed by the Intellectual Property owners, 2K, and numerous sub contractors. Be happy with the ending in the first BS1, and move on to other games (unless Irrational comes back).
I believe it was Yahtzee who said the best sequels come from people who are familiar with the original but weren't fanboys of it. The original developers will be too blinded by their original vision and the fanboys will be too blinded by ... well, the original vision, but objective third parties will see what needs improved and improve it. That said, this looks like the closest example to that I've seen so far, and I would kind of like to see if his theory holds up.

Good to hear SecuROM isn't part of the Steam copy, but again, it's having to install Windows Live that bugs me. Maybe if I get desperate enough and the price drops (assuming Microsoft follows the Steam convention of letting prices go down after awhile, rather than the iTunes model of keeping everything at new-release pricing forever), I'll just buy it on Windows Live Marketplace and have GFWL and Steam running separately. AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET. I'll still be pissed off that I'll be stuck playing against the kind of dweebs who inhabit XBox Live instead of being able to join my Steam friends on privately run servers like TF2, but I guess that's too much to ask of anyone who isn't Valve. :colbert:

But something else has occurred to me: On XBox Live you need to have a paid subscription in order to actually play online multiplayer. Is Games For Windows Live the same way? Please for the love of God tell me it's not...