Bioshock: An after-the-fact Review

The Random One

May 29, 2008
While I liked Bioshock, I also liked this review. Bioshock was good, but the reviews made it look much better than it actually is, so I feel there must be a few violently negative reviews to level things.

I half-figured out the plot with that same recording. I can't believe the developers believed players would be so thick as to not figure it out.

j0z said:
*twitch*

I disagree with you 100%
Now I will leave before I do something I will regret later.

To anyone eho has not had the pleasure to play this game: If you like FPS games, get it. It is one of the best.
*twitch*?

It's just a game, dude. It's not worth twitching over.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
samaritan.squirrel said:
Perhaps you were just too smart for it.
I didn't care much for the gameplay, and the story was pretty standard. Not bad, but nothing special. It fell back on some old gimmicks, but that has more to do with the constarints of the medium.

However the aesthetics and characterisation are pretty sublime. Rapture is a truly compelling setting if you're into that sort of thing. And some of the voice-work is on par with the likes of say...GlADoS [capitalisation probably incorrect]

Anyway. Apologies for the crappily-worded reply.
This review is very well written and raises some valid points.

The trick, really, is not to believe the hype and be pleasantly surprised.
The odd thing is, I've always considered Bioshock to be one of the more intelligent games on the market. If your opinion of it is so negative, what have you been playing?And where do I get it?
The A is lowercase, everything else is spot on.

As to what I've been playing...

I've been playing...

Ah, blast it.

I've been playing Brutal Legend and Half-life 2.
This does not do good for my cause.

I dunno...maybe you should mainline something?

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Beware the Under-The-Bridge dwelling, gold-snatching, children-eating creatures of Mythical Lore...

Beware...

OT: I LOVED Bioshock. I literally squealed with glee when i saw the Game of the Year Edition with the nifty cardboard sleeve (I'm a sucker for special packaging) at Gamestop for $17.99.
The only problem i had with Bioshock was that it was FRUSTRATINGLY difficult. About halfway through the game i found myself in a place (dont ask me how this happened) where my vita-chamber was surrounded with spicers and 2 big daddies. Upon exiting the tube, i was promptly killed only to be resurrected in the same vita-chamber to start the process over again.
But all in all, Bioshock, one of the best games of all time. (At least in the FPS sense.)

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
j0z said:
*twitch*

I disagree with you 100%

To anyone eho has not had the pleasure to play this game: If you like FPS games, get it. It is one of the best.
Agreed. Too mad to form coherent sentence. Grrr.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
HT_Black said:
THE REVIEW:

I regret nothing.

WARNING: This review is Spoiler-ific

Bioshock is, for the uninformed, the massively popular first-person shooter/survival horror game from 2K Studios. Since its 2007 debut, it's won numerous awards, mountains of fan-issued praise, and a near-perfect 96% rating on Metacritic for its spectacular action, deep, intelligent story, and inordinately imaginative concepts.
So it logically follows that eventually this Xbox and PC-exclusive game would eventually move to the massive, nex-gen pastures of the PS3. and When the demo for it came out over the Playstation network, it sent me over the moon. After much badgering and bargaining, I finally got a copy of it in my hands, my expectations dancing madly to the tune of its strobe-light seizure-inducing beauty.
What was my final opinion, after so much pained anticipation and fanboyish glee?

A resounding "Eh..."

Things got off to a flying start when I was introduced to the faceless mute du jour, Jack--but wait! Jack actually does say something. He says the opening line of the game, in a voice so deep and melodious that it would have re-defined what a voice actor should be. Unfortunately, this opening line is all he says, save some whiny, high-pitched screams whenever someone shoots him, electrifies him, bludgeons him. You get the idea.
The game kicks off with your plane crashing into the Atlantic Ocean, whereupon you frantically swim onto a nearby lighthouse jutting out of the sea.

...Oookay, then.

If, like me, you've been in this business long enough to know that there are no such things as coincidences, you automatically realize that someone wanted you--yes, you in particular--to survive the crash. (I can't help but feel this is an invalid criticism. Not for the sake of being a fan of the game, or the narrative, but because this is the sort of situational irony that goes along with any game in general. The main character, the person whom the player controls, will almost always survive the big catastrophe. If they didn't, it would make for a really, really short game. In the same vein, here's a spoiler for FF XIII, you're going to play the hero.)

There goes half of the game's mystique right there.
So, inside said lighthouse, you find your way into a bathysphere (one of those circly submarines), which takes you down thirty-odd fathoms under the sea, and into the underwater metropolis of Rapture.
Rapture is, undoubtedly, one of the most impressive ideas I've ever heard of: for a summary, please read Atlas Shrugged while listening to Ringo Starr's "Octopus's Garden".

While the game was praised all over for its innovative and complex story, the entire experience fell apart for me around the second level, where I found a taped phone conversation that revealed to me that only the city's founder or his relatives could use the very spheres I got there in.

Then, ten minutes later, I found one detailing recent genetic engineering experiments.

Translation: Guess who you're a clone of!

So the story is piss-poor and thin if you apply even a minute amount of critical thinking, which leaves the game with the one thing no survival/horror game should ever have to rely upon: its gameplay.

Combat revolves around using weapons and plasmids--gene-altering materials that grant the user incredible abilities--against the usual Baskin-Robbins assortment of zombies, turrets, lumbering giants, and little girls.

Hang on...what?

As it turns out, nobody was kidding when they said the only way to upgrade your power repertoire was to do horrible things to young children. Before long in the game, you're introduced to the genetic supplement known as ?ADAM?, which is key to the process of creating and upgrading plasmids. Of course, ADAM is produced by the "Little Sisters": girls who have been genetically altered, zombified, outfitted in pink, and condemned to forever wander the sprawling corridors of Rapture.

Dandy.

Naturally, if you want said ADAM, you'll need to either beat the sisters to death; or, contrarily, grab them by the face and shove a needle in their necks and cure them of being zombies.

Isn't that grand?

As logic would dictate, this particular treasure, like any other, has a guardian: the game's infamous, astounding "Big Daddy" Characters. The Big Daddies wander the sprawling, non-linear streets of Rapture using dynamic A.I; accompanied by a little sister at most or all times. To the best of my knowledge, they're unique in the enemy industry in that they will refrain from attacking you unless you hit first.

_______________If you see this, you are soooo fucked. That is, unless you use your lightning attack. And you WILL.

However:

Sprawling, non-linear world maps being what they are, there will quite assuredly be numerous times where you?ll throw down a proximity mine or cyclone trap, only to kill its intended target through other means. However, there?s no way to pick said mines back up, and if you put one of them down in a high-traffic area (and you WILL, because they ALL are), you can bet your bionic implants (reference!) you?ll be blindsided at the worst possible moment by an irate drill-waving mecha. (This, while a minor control note, is also an unfair criticism. Your misuse of a placement mine is of no fault of the game designers.)
Bah.

Luckily, you'll stumble over health, ammo, and money with every alternate step (and again!). I am NOT f**king kidding--towards the end of the game, I was literally having to RANDOMLY FIRE INTO THE AIR just to make sure I could pick up the massive amounts of ammunition I found. My wallet was full, I had maximum health and energy hypos, and whenever I was faced with adversity, I could just play a crowbarred-in Pipe Dream minigame and restore my flawless status quo.

Okay, so there's little to none of the game's touted survival/horror atmosphere. But that doesn't matter, right? We can still have a good time, assuming we stick to the much more refined first-person gunplay, which is tactical and intelligent and--Ho-ho, as if.

The game's variety of guns, which stick dutifully to the established order of things (Melee, Shotgun, Pistol, Sniper, Machine gun, Missile launcher, Overpowered exotic thing you can never find ammo for and never use anyways), are quickly rendered moot by the fact that the first power you get electrifies enemies for a massive amount of damage and three seconds of immobility. Around your first encounter with this power, your supporting character helpfully chimes in to tell you that you can instantly kill people by beating them with your wrench after zapping them. So naturally, that's all you'll ever be doing, which makes your wide variety of weaponry aggressively unnecessary.

And speaking of the support character, I'd like to mention that he's the center of the game's second big twist--and writer, I know your plot is transparent, and Imma let you finish, but this thing is one o' da most predictable things of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Other than him, there's only two other characters with a name--one's the villain, and the other appears over the course of this sixteen-hour-long fol-der-ol exactly twice.
Yay.

So, maybe the shooting is lackluster and simple, the story is thin, the atmosphere is moot, and the difficulty curve wavers like the knickers of an indecisive prostitute, but maybe there's an aesthetic angle to it--
Oh, wait.

Two words:

Strobe Lighting. (This point is unrefined. Either expand on it or leave it out. As it stands, you aren't confirming or denying the aestheticism, simply making a simple statement that could as easily be unrelated as it is related.)

Bottom line: Bioshock is painful to look at, tedious to play, and easy to predict. The sound repeats itself, the difficulty is inconsistent, and the open-world aspect is a flop.

Recommendation: Avoid at all costs (unless you plan on leaving it on your shelf as a memoir).

This review was based on the PS3 version of the game.
As it stands, your review is plagued with stylistic errors, specifically in the overuse of the semi-colon. While not necessary "incorrect" in the traditional senses of the grammar rules, its still a precarious thing to use. With the way you use it, it really would be better left to periods. Especially where linguistic flow is concerned. Beyond that, proper nouns such as "2K Studios" and foreign words like "du jour" need capitalization and italicization respectively.

Your reviewing style is largely "conversational," which is informal and easy to read. The problem is its also distracting (and therefore detracting), especially in the instances where you break up every other line with asides.

That said, the humor frequently feels forced, which makes even the conversational tone feel fake. Don't feel the need to jab and make tired pop culture jokes for the sake of it, place humor only where it feels natural.

Beyond that, your written tone is, for lack of better words, smug and self-important. Its that sort of condescending and dismissive tone that alienates readers rather than encourages them. Because of this, your review will naturally find more aggressors than readers. Although it may be a stylistic thing, it would serve the format better should you choose not to offend so many sensibilities in the future.

Hopefully this has helped. Warmest regards,

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well, if you were able to predict the plot from the very beginning of the game, I do not know what to say. You are probably, what, one in about 500000 people? Kudos, you deduced the story from the beginning of the game. So? From where I am standing, gameplay-wise, B is a very good game even without the storyline. I had RE5 storyline spoiled for me and still played and finished the game 5 times. Also, coincidences are bread and butter for media like games and movies.

Finally, if you played the PS3 version of the game and still think that the game is easy when it comes to ammo, you should have tried playing it on Survival difficulty. I am not gonna get into the whole Yahtzee thing, you get the idea.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
HT_Black said:
the first power you get electrifies enemies for a massive amount of damage and three seconds of immobility. Around your first encounter with this power, your supporting character helpfully chimes in to tell you that you can instantly kill people by beating them with your wrench after zapping them; so naturally, that's all you'll ever be doing, which makes your wide variety of weaponry aggressively unnecessary.
This is all I needed to know.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
veloper said:
HT_Black said:
the first power you get electrifies enemies for a massive amount of damage and three seconds of immobility. Around your first encounter with this power, your supporting character helpfully chimes in to tell you that you can instantly kill people by beating them with your wrench after zapping them; so naturally, that's all you'll ever be doing, which makes your wide variety of weaponry aggressively unnecessary.
That is sooooo not true. Half through the game, the combo does not work.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
NewClassic said:
As it stands, your review is plagued with stylistic errors, specifically in the overuse of the semi-colon. While not necessary "incorrect" in the traditional senses of the grammar rules, its still a precarious thing to use. With the way you use it, it really would be better left to periods. Especially where linguistic flow is concerned. Beyond that, proper nouns such as "2K Studios" and foreign words like "du jour" need capitalization and italicization respectively.

Your reviewing style is largely "conversational," which is informal and easy to read. The problem is its also distracting (and therefore detracting), especially in the instances where you break up every other line with asides.

That said, the humor frequently feels forced, which makes even the conversational tone feel fake. Don't feel the need to jab and make tired pop culture jokes for the sake of it, place humor only where it feels natural.

Beyond that, your written tone is, for lack of better words, smug and self-important. Its that sort of condescending and dismissive tone that alienates readers rather than encourages them. Because of this, your review will naturally find more aggressors than readers. Although it may be a stylistic thing, it would serve the format better should you choose not to offend so many sensibilities in the future.

Hopefully this has helped. Warmest regards,
Thanks for chiming in-- I've always said that the greatest compliment one can give is to try and make something better. Moreover, you weren't obnoxious about it-- thanks.

I do feel obliged to mention that the semicolon is, as far as I'm concerned, Mankind's greatest literary invention.

Thanks all the same.

katsabas said:
veloper said:
HT_Black said:
That is sooooo not true. Half through the game, the combo does not work.
It downs Nitros, Leadheads, Thugs, and Houdinis in one try after several times. Interestingly enough, that's how I beat the final boss-- I just spammed that move 'till the cows came home.

I'd say that it does work.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
The main issue with the review, is the writing style - as NewClassic stated above - it reads very smug and self-important. Throw-away comments such as:

HT_Black said:
There goes half of the game's mystique right there.
and

Rapture is, undoubtedly, one of the most impressive ideas I've ever heard of: for a summary, please read Atlas Shrugged while listening to Ringo Starr's "Octopus's Garden".
...won't really engage with your reader. Particularly as the humour (again stated above) seems forced. In fact the review might have benefited had you not included these jokes as half the time it's impossible to tell if your joking or making a serious comment...and that isn't mentioning the often awkwardly placed, over-done one liners that litter the review.

So the story is piss-poor and thin if you apply even a minute amount of critical thinking, which leaves the game with the one thing no survival/horror game should ever have to rely upon: its gameplay.
So your telling me that the story is "piss-poor" due to the tapes you found? Should you not look beyond simply the "plot synopsis" and examine how the plot is unravelled, the characters you meet, the mechanics used. In all it reads like a lazy review point.

that's all you'll ever be doing, which makes your wide variety of weaponry aggressively unnecessary.
Another thing that damages your review is the constant use of the words "that's all you'l ever be doing" or words to that effect. This suggests that the reader will be using your playthrough style and is like you in every way - therefore pushing away readers who did not play the game in your style.

and writer, I know your plot is transparent, and Imma let you finish, but this thing is one o' da most predictable things of all time. OF ALL TIME.
Just an example of "jokes" where they should not be - that and the "smug" writing style.

Other than him, there's only two other characters with a name--one's the villain, and the other appears over the course of this sixteen-hour-long fol-der-ol exactly twice.
Yay.
That's an inaccurate statement...

Two words:

Strobe Lighting.
As stated above this point needs to be expanded upon or removed

So, maybe the shooting is lackluster and simple, the story is thin, the atmosphere is moot, and the difficulty curve wavers like the knickers of an indecisive prostitute, but maybe there's an aesthetic angle to it--
In all it's a decent-ish review let down by a poor review writing style, a large number of unexplained or extremely subjective points (such as your take on the atmosphere) and a lack of engagement with the reader. In all it can be read as a poor attempt to turn Zero Punctuation into word form (the consistent use of his lines certainly doesn't help matters).

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
I can't say I enjoyed reading this piece. As stated above, your style comes across as very smug and holier-than-thou, which alienated me right from the off.

I think that any other criticisms have already been addressed. You may be a writer, but I sincerely hope you don't adopt this style throughout all your work, as it makes you sound very pompous and...well..irritating.

L. Wrex

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Lycaeus_Wrex said:
I can't say I enjoyed reading this piece. As stated above, your style comes across as very smug and holier-than-thou, which alienated me right from the off.

I think that any other criticisms have already been addressed. You may be a writer, but I sincerely hope you don't adopt this style throughout all your work, as it makes you sound very pompous and...well..irritating.

L. Wrex
I'll tell you the same thing I've told everyone I've ever met--

I don't mean to be an A**shole...it just sort of happens that way.

mcx

Jan 5, 2009
If you have played System Shock 2, then image that with better graphics and dumbed down gameplay and you have Bioshock.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Pro tip: If you want to be considered anything other than a troll, don't make your entire review consist of little more than a string of ZP one-liners, most of which you don't even bother to back up with examples or evidence. Also, don't blame the game designers for your own inability to use placement mines properly, and don't assume that everyone else has the same gameplay style as you.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I have never thought ZP so much aside from watching a ZP review before. A year and you make out that you've not read any of the plot? And the insta kill, were you playing on easy? Because even on medium that move isn't an instant hit. (edit: late game if you upgrade your wrench, it sure can be, slight overlook there, i've not played the game in a while)

My constructive criticism here is not to use to many ZP one liners next time, and try to play a game on something other than the easiest difficulty next time.
(and dear god, its your fault for not placing your mines better!)

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
I respectfully disagree, i loved the game.

It was a well-written review and a good read though, well done.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I liked the game, and think that like most reviewers he's spot on about some things, and wrong on some others to the point where I doubt he played the game, or did so long enough before the review that he was remembering things wrong.

Simply put I agree that the game is "easy" but largely because of the way you respawn fully healed from the healing chambers and can whittle away at your enemies even in the worst case scenarios. Once you realize this, it becomes obvious that victory is pretty much assured, you don't need to work that much to overcome enemies, all you need is insane amounts of persistance even in the worst case scenarios the game can produce.

I will also say that some of the plasmids and such were unbalanced, and a few were fairly useless I felt. I however feel that this was intentional and intended to get you to experiment. Simply put most of the traps except for the trap bolts struck me as being underpowered and less than useful. The Vortex trap for example seemed useless against the Big Daddies and other situations where I'd want to do something clever and set a trap as opposed to "kicking it Rambo style".

The game also had some nasty glitches like one paticular point where your disarmed, and then when you recover your stuff half (or more) of your junk is gone forever and not recoverable.

I do not remember the game ever being implied to be a sandbox game, OR a survival horror game for that matter. Rather I believe it was pretty much touted as a shooter with light RPG elements sort of like Borderlands. It WAS called a spiritual successor to "System Shock" and while a very good game it was blasted for not being all that similar to it in the final equasion because of the general lack of horror elements. Indeed there is a ghost type scene fairly early on if I remember, but after that you don't really see much in a similar vein.

Storywise, the twist pretty much revolves around exactly HOW your character was being manipulated which makes a degree of sense when you backtrack. What's more some of the answers about the character's parentage that might have seemed obvious were not because of the picture he's holding at the very beginning, and also most importantly by the fact that despite the comments on genetic locks, it's also mentioned that a certain crime lord has managed to circumvent all of those systems and begin smuggling surface goods into the community. Thus the point about the locks is rendered rapidly irrelevent. Sure, all the key elements are there, but I think the answers actually became less straightforward before the reveal the more you found out.

The story was good, but I think got lionized due to the general left wing sentiments of the gaming community. I'm not a huge fan of Ayn Rand, but I for one do not think Rapture was indicative of that philsophy at all for reasons I could go into, but won't. I also think that people miss the point to an extent that Rapture failed under some rather extenuating circumstances, simply put a civil war started by someone who arguably should never have been there to begin with. Thus I generally say it was a decent tale, but I feel some of the deeper analysis people try and put it through fails horribly.

At any rate, I am quite looking forward to Bioshock 2 despite everything. No game is without it's flaws, but overall this was a good one, it deserves the sequel, and it also deserves the praise largely because it was especially good considering it's competion (or lack thereof) at the time.

kelsyk

Apr 4, 2009
Maybe I do things differently then other people, but when I play games with any type of plot I purposefully don't analyze everything. I enjoy playing through the story looking at the hints and foreshadowing with the same amount of intelligence my in game avatar has. It means that not often does a sudden plot twist fail to suprise me. I feel this is the best way to play game that use their plot, because you can replay them with you first playthrough knowledge ruining the suprises.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
j0z said:
*twitch*

I disagree with you 100%

Yeah, that may be true, but it portrays itself as a RPG, and it fails horrendously in that department.