Bioshock and the Origins of Adam and Eve

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
So I haven't noticed to many people bring up a major question i have had concerning one of my favorite games - bioshock. With the recent release of bioshock 2, this idle question has resurfaced into my mind and i can't seem to shake it. So please, help me discuss the relevance of Adam and Eve throughout the game Bioshock. Adam and Eve of course pertain to the first human beings created according to the christian belief - and adam and eve being the source of genetic alteration powers throughout bioshock. any ideas?

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
Tom4Tom said:
So I haven't noticed to many people bring up a major question i have had concerning one of my favorite games - bioshock. With the recent release of bioshock 2, this idle question has resurfaced into my mind and i can't seem to shake it. So please, help me discuss the relevance of Adam and Eve throughout the game Bioshock. Adam and Eve of course pertain to the first human beings created according to the christian belief - and adam and eve being the source of genetic alteration powers throughout bioshock. any ideas?
Think you kinda nailed the hammer on the head there, Tom.

Yep, it's a biblical reference. And just like Adam & Eve were both the sources for new life in both the Bible and Bioshock, they also both brought ruin to their worlds.

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
All the games contain biblical references (the name Rapture for instance). Another thing I realised about ADAM and EVE is that EVE 'spawned' from ADAM, in the essence that ADAM is the main property, and EVE was created from ADAM, similair to how in the Creation story, Eve is created from Adam's rib.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Not just that don't forget places like

Neptunes bounty
Olympus Heights

Or the Gathers Garden claiming to make you stronger than Hercules its not just christian symbols that get covered

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Its mostly just a catchy easter egg. Most games do that, in one way or the other- with a monster named Beelzebub, or a vorpal blade, or what not.
I hate to resort to memes, but its ultimately "I see what you did thar" with words that are supposed to set the game's mood.

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
jamesworkshop said:

Neptunes bounty
Olympus Heights

Or the Gathers Garden claiming to make you stronger than Hercules its not just christian symbols that get covered

i didnt notice this either. good catch. i suppose its all of these elements throughout the story that really set the mood for this game.

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
yeah Adam and Eve are simply references to something real, they are something that lends the story a bit of reliable credibility and tie it more directly to our world as Rapture is (supposedly) a thing of our world.

same with other references to greek God Andrew Ryan vehemently opposed religion yet it perpetrated his society thoroughly. Perhaps another reason why Adam and Eve are named as such they are the harbinger's of Ryans destruction and of his city which was supposed to be free of both government an religion both of which have found their way into Rapture.

Perhaps it is supposed to be used Ironically, but I think that like most people the citizens of rapture tie things to religous and mythological ideologies, like what James said with Hercules it is a common knowledge reference point most people know of the greek gods and the basics of christianity.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
I think the message is that you cannot have society without religion or government. They are naturally occurring.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Now you mention it, I've only just thought of the irony of naming it Adam and Eve.

Rapture being a place to escape from religion and all.

EDIT: And all the other biblical references that have been pointed out.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
A little off topic but anybody else find it ironic that one of the main things Andrew Ryan wanted to avoid haveing in Rapture is Riligion, yet almost everything has a riligious name/Overtone?

EDIT: Damm Ninjas!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Bioshock contains numerous refrences from both Greek Mythology and from the Bible.

Many of the apartments and locations throughout the game (Such as Siren's Ally and Olympus Heights) derive from Greek Mythology.

But the case of Adam and Eve is the fact that ADAM brought new powers and changed the citizens of rapture and out of Adam came EVE, the power source of all plasmids and like in the bible, they brought ruin to the paradise.

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
Maby because Adam and Eve in the bible were suposed to be the first humans, Ryan was implying that adam and eve are the first steps toward genetic modification technology. Maby.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just got the connection between ADAM and EVE now that you've mentioned it. How did I miss that?

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
I was thinking about this some more and Ryan wasn't the one who found or manufactured Adam or Eve

in the first game he was actually very upset because he had next to no control over the substance.

perhaps Adam and Eve were used as a jibe toward Ryan because wasn't Fontaine the one who controlled the supply?

Ryan destroyed the production didn't he thus beginning the war over what little was left and bringing about the creation of little sisters and what not

sorry if this is spoilers to anyone but I'd say it's fairly clear and if you haven't played bioshock you should

but yeah perhaps whomever named it adam and eve named it as such to upset Ryan

also in bioshcok 2 there are adam slugs you can grab. I'm pretty sure they were all destroyed that's why Rapture went to hell in the first place

correct me if I'm wrong

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Tom4Tom said:
jamesworkshop said:

Neptunes bounty
Olympus Heights

i didnt notice this either. good catch. i suppose its all of these elements throughout the story that really set the mood for this game.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/924919/50049

Have a read of this it contains a lot that a lot of people missed or didn't understand since a lot of the game requires a knowledge of Objectivism

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
PDizzle418 said:
yeah Adam and Eve are simply references to something real, they are something that lends the story a bit of reliable credibility and tie it more directly to our world as Rapture is (supposedly) a thing of our world.

same with other references to greek God Andrew Ryan vehemently opposed religion yet it perpetrated his society thoroughly. Perhaps another reason why Adam and Eve are named as such they are the harbinger's of Ryans destruction and of his city which was supposed to be free of both government an religion both of which have found their way into Rapture.

Perhaps it is supposed to be used Ironically, but I think that like most people the citizens of rapture tie things to religous and mythological ideologies, like what James said with Hercules it is a common knowledge reference point most people know of the greek gods and the basics of christianity.
andrew ryan is a greek god? ive never heard of this...

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
PDizzle418 said:
I was thinking about this some more and Ryan wasn't the one who found or manufactured Adam or Eve

in the first game he was actually very upset because he had next to no control over the substance.

perhaps Adam and Eve were used as a jibe toward Ryan because wasn't Fontaine the one who controlled the supply?

Ryan destroyed the production didn't he thus beginning the war over what little was left and bringing about the creation of little sisters and what not

sorry if this is spoilers to anyone but I'd say it's fairly clear and if you haven't played bioshock you should

but yeah perhaps whomever named it adam and eve named it as such to upset Ryan

also in bioshcok 2 there are adam slugs you can grab. I'm pretty sure they were all destroyed that's why Rapture went to hell in the first place

correct me if I'm wrong
i never really understood the adam slugs... the little sisters gather a red substance from splicers which is supposed to be adam...so what are the slugs for? hmmm

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
kidigus said:
Maby because Adam and Eve in the bible were suposed to be the first humans, Ryan was implying that adam and eve are the first steps toward genetic modification technology. Maby.

this is getting deep. like, fathoms deep. see what i did there? ;)