BioShock Developer Hiring Based on Metacritic Scores

Katie Cunningham

Mar 29, 2011
Because it's not like a great developer or designer has ever been stuck in a studio where a major title was screwed up by mismanaging egomaniacs.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I totally hope this becomes more frequent.. then every game ever made will be nothing but CoD developers.. and I can stop gaming and spend my money on booze and whores.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Looks completely rational to me. I mean really it's not like there is any chance that a competent programmer could be found amongst the hundreds involved in a project that has a Metacritic of say 80-84. Right? Right? /sarcasm

OT

This is pretty stupid. These game devs all have coffee meets with one another on a regular basis. They share ideas and in some cases talent. Irrational is going to find this biting them in the ass sooner or later.

As for Metacritic. I don't have a problem with them aggregating the reviews. Makes it easy for when I don't feel like looking them up unit by unit. I do disapprove of them giving their own spin on what a publication's review is worth. That falls outside the realm of aggregation and into manipulation. I also disapprove of how the industry uses this shit as if it is the only measure of success.

Well I wasn't likely to buy any more of their shit anyway so that makes it all the easier to avoid supporting this new and profoundly stupid practice.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
rhizhim said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
yes, lets hire people based on an easy to manipulate and inaccurate rating website.

what a bunch of idiots.
*Yes, *let's hire people based *upon an easy to manipulate and inaccurate *aggregating website.

The lesson here is: don't be so quick to call others names. You achieve nothing constructive and look silly.
the lesson is that if you are going to correct my grammar you should at least keep my message intact.

rating website not aggregating website.

even if the website really just accumulates different critiques/ ratings.
Metacritic is an aggregator; it organizes reviews from a wide variety of other groups, calculates the average and displays the result to the viewer. "Rating website" is simply poor English.

"Aggregator refers to a web site or computer software that aggregates a specific type of information from multiple online sources."
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregator

Again, don't insult others if you aren't prepared to face valid, informative criticism.
guess why i said:
rhizhim said:
and i am sorry if my poor english offends you.
There is no "Even if" about it. "Rating website" does not refer to aggregation and is simply the wrong term to use. You even went out of your way to state that Metacritic isn't an aggregator--"rating website not aggregating website."

You called another group idiots in a poorly written comment and I pointed out the irony. Arguing won't reverse that. Take the criticism on board and reconsider how quickly you insult others.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
yes, lets hire people based on an easy to manipulate and inaccurate rating website.

what a bunch of idiots.
*Yes, *let's hire people based *upon an easy to manipulate and inaccurate *aggregating website.

The lesson here is: don't be so quick to call others names. You achieve nothing constructive and look silly.
the lesson is that if you are going to correct my grammar you should at least keep my message intact.

Metacritic is an aggregator; it organizes reviews from a wide variety of other groups, calculates the average and displays the result to the viewer. "Rating website" is simply poor English.

"Aggregator refers to a web site or computer software that aggregates a specific type of information from multiple online sources."

Again, don't insult others if you aren't prepared to face valid, informative criticism.
Yaw kwitithism may be vawwid, and it may even be inwarmative, but it isn't fwendwy.

And for that, my fwend Bigguth Dikkuth wood beat you THIWWY!!!

You... you... you wapthcallion!!!

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
That seems like a very, very stupid hiring practice.

Captcha: pitter patter. Dear Captcha: Since when have you been in league with my ovaries?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:

what a bunch of idiots.

guess why i said:
rhizhim said:
and i am sorry if my poor english offends you.
There is no "Even if" about it. "Rating website" does not refer to aggregation and is simply the wrong term to use. You even went out of your way to state that Metacritic isn't an aggregator--"rating website not aggregating website."

You called another group idiots in a poorly written comment and I pointed out the irony. Arguing won't reverse that. Take the criticism on board and reconsider how quickly you insult others.
Have you added anything of value to this topic yet? *checks other posts* Nope. You also may want to check rhizhim's nationality. Odds are good he speaks more languages than either of us. I haven't reported you but it is only a matter of time before you get knuckle rapped here.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Wow, I kind of had hope for Bioshock Infinite, good to know I can go ahead and skip it.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Zaik said:
Wow, I kind of had hope for Bioshock Infinite, good to know I can go ahead and skip it.
The management branch of Irrational doing crap doesn't mean the devs of 2k are crap. Look at UbiSoft for example, crap publishing department and executive decisions, really good devs and mostly good games. BioShock 2 outclassed the original in almost every aspect (save for that *one big memorable twist* it didn't have) and Infinite looked promising so far to me, idk why this suddenly installs so many worries.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
It's been a long time since gaming companies care less about the objective quality of their games than how much money they can make from them. Any game with a Metacritics rating above 85 is guaranteed huge profits, so clearly you can see what they aim for.

I play video games less and less. Part of it because I grow older, bust mostly because of the trend in the industry. They even dig up old successes (that would be failure by today's standards, by the way) instead of trying to make new games using what made the old ones great. Case in point: Baldur's Gates Enhanced Edition vs Dragon Age 2.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I am wondering how long either Irrational Games will last if this is a constant requirement or they realize how silly it is and it stops.

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Zaik said:
Because Bioshock 2 did the first justice. [/sarcasm]

OT: This really had better not become a common practice, otherwise all triple A games outside of Valve's are just going to end up Gears of War clones or x other undeservedly popular franchise clones, as the requirement for a job now is basically 'One of your games must be at least this much like a stupid franchise'.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I feel bad for hating Metacritic... because this is clearly not their fault. They are just the victim of the industry's absurd amount of stupidity.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well to be fair they look for a Design Manager.
These are not the requirements for lets say a texture artist or programmer.

This in mind I think it is less crazy...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like how sometime around 1998 the video game industry just stopped hiring any new talent and has just been the same few thousand people who actually have industry experience. Once they retire no one will know how to make games anymore because they aren't willing to give any new talent training. If you aren't overqualified for a job, you won't be getting it.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Furism said:
It's been a long time since gaming companies care less about the objective quality of their games than how much money they can make from them. Any game with a Metacritics rating above 85 is guaranteed huge profits, so clearly you can see what they aim for.
I just went to MC (for the first time in fact!); Max Payne 3 got an 87. Didn't their studio just close?

-And what's with all the hate for Bioshock 2. It was a solid game, it just wasn't as good as the first. Few sequels are.