BioShock Infinite Is in Trouble, Loses Key Developers

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
woodaba said:
Calling it now...this game will be the new Duke Nukem Forever.
It would have to be in development for almost another decade before this can be another Duke Nukem forever, release pushed back by 4 months is hardly enough to go by in order to determine this.

OT: I don't think this will affect the game's final quality a lot unless the article underplays the importance of those two developers. It could lose something with those two or it could gain something. As far as the article states these two will only affect visuals and that isn't enough to make or break a game.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
;.; Please don't ruin my game. Bioshock Infinite is the thing I am most looking forward to. Hopefully these guys were problems rather than assets and the game will be better for it?

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I'll wait for a "Bioshock Infinite delayed/cancelled" article before I start foamin'.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
ThriKreen said:
Eh, not much in the way of news, if the game is scheduled for a Feb 2013 release, it should be in lockdown at this point or close to it. Polish and bug fixing til Nov/Dec, then console certification, and expect a gold announcement end of January. Probably some DLC content creation in this stage too.

Losing those two roles isn't that big an impact, as art direction is already set and done at this point, as is development. Chances are they took the opportunity to leave at this point when the workload has lessened.
That was my impression. Also, as pivotal as those roles might be, I doubt they can't be replaced with likeminded, similarly competant people.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I would genuinely like to hope that by this point the game is past where the daily oversight of such high-level positions is necessary. I guess we'll see...

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
faefrost said:
Everything you are in the games industry, your entire resume, comes from your inclusion in the end credits of games. Studios routinely leave out even the most prominent people if they are not still on the team the day the game ships.
Routinely? The only time I ever heard that happen was on L.A. Noire - and that was a huge deal.

Btw: am I the only person wondering what a 'Director of Product Development' actually does?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
DjinnFor said:
A development studio losing key creative/design directors just before release is like the Chief Development Officer of a major company resigning a month before the company launches a new product line.
You really need to learn how game dev works. At this stage of development, content lockdown, they're essentially in skeleton crew mode - polish and bug fixing. Art direction is set, and chances are any assistant art directors or various team leads can step in for art related decisions, since they have the rest of the game to match up. Compared with the beginning of dev when the art style has not been set yet.

Depending on the studio structure, a director of product development is probably a studio wide position where they oversee things like which projects get the go ahead and funding, or product tie ins with retailer exclusives or distribution licenses on Steam, etc. Or maybe sets code policies and oversees how the studio grows in terms of development for future titles, shuffling people around various projects as they roll off, hiring policies, licensing other products, etc.

But he doesn't have much of an impact on the actual development, and hardly a key figure.

I.e. they're probably not satisfied with the result and want to distance themselves from it and get a new job before the shit hits the fan and the game (& their reputation) tanks. That, or they don't like their job... which could be indicative of studio-wide employee dissatisfaction.
Or like I said before, with things in lockdown and less workload, they saw an opportunity to move on to other positions (An art director on 3 Bioshock titles might get bored after awhile).

And they probably have internal people like assistants who can step in and help fill the hole in the meantime.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
DeltasDix said:
tmande2nd said:
Oh yeah the game with the lady in a corset with huge tits.
Now I remember
And that's a bad thing how?
Some people are just prudes. IIRC they actually ended up reducing her breast size because of the people whining about it. It's just sad really.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
DeltasDix said:
tmande2nd said:
Now I remember
Its not, I think its just a jab at how the artist was annoyed because that's all people used to describe the character.

Darkmantle said:
DeltasDix said:
tmande2nd said:
Now I remember
Some people are just prudes. IIRC they actually ended up reducing her breast size because of the people whining about it. It's just sad really.
There was a news story on this site I believe, he actually reduced it because he was tired of everyone commenting on her boobs. People weren't complaining, quite the opposite.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'm not sure if it'll have that much impact. The bulk of the company is still in place. The workers.. the one's actually making the game are still there working away at it and I'm sure by now most of the concepts and art direction have been established. (the people working on this project should have an idea of how it will look anyway, it's the third time they've done this).

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
woodaba said:
Calling it now...this game will be the new Duke Nukem Forever.
Didn't you hear? Half Life 2: Episode 3 is already the new DNF. Maybe Infinite will just follow in its place if it's ever actually released.