Bioshock Infinite is literally, physically, driving me insane (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Seth Carter said:
The Vox Revolution segment is the one that really stands out as the bizarre hole. Some of the timey-wimey stuff is a bit out there, but not particularly for that sort of story.

The whole Revolution universe seems like someone decided abruptly that they needed to have the war as part of the game and chopped it in using Elizabeth's powers as an easy excuse, but didn't really consider all the muckups that throws in to the main story with multiple Elizabeths/Songbirds. Its only reinforced with the blatant handwave attempt at explaining Fitzroy's "evil turn" in Burial at Sea, which is possibly the most poorly done interaction in the whole thing.
It's been brought up a few times in the thread already, but it's fairly clear in the game that the tears are layering universes on top of one another, rather than moving from one universe to another (clearly seen by characters gaining doubled-up memories, instead of spawning multiple versions of said characters). So there won't ever be multiple Elizabeths/Songbirds or, indeed, anyone.

The Lutece's machine, on the other hand, can bring individuals from one universe to another. They still suffer nosebleeds as they struggle to adapt to a new universe and create new memories, but they exist independent from other versions of themselves (hence Booker and Comstock, and the two Luteces).

As for the war, Elizabeth creates a universe where a violent militia representing an oppressed minority is given access to a whole lot of heavy weaponry. Daisy's intent to kill the child is a dark reflection of a theme that occurs time and time again throughout Bioshock Infinite, that of solving problems at the source. The game even ends with such an act, destroying Comstock before he even exists.

The bit in Burial At Sea is pretty clumsy, I do admit, but it actually amplifies this theme. The Luteces need Elizabeth to come to the decision to kill Comstock before he even begins. Daisy's threats to harm Fink's child serve double duty here. It doesn't just force Elizabeth to kill and become harder, but it also implants the same idea into her psyche.

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
Fox12 said:
CloudAtlas said:
Fox12 said:
The weakness is that the plot falls apart when you look at the smaller details, and the mechanics of the universe sometimes make you question characters actions. It's like the first time that you realize that all of Harry Potters problems could have been fixed with a time turner. The story is still good, but you're forced to question a characters wisdom when a plot breaking element like that is introduced.
No you're not "forced" to do anything, and no it doesn't need to be a weakness.

When you're enthralled enough by a story, be it because you find it so exciting, emotionally or thematically powerful or whatever, you just don't notice the minor elements that don't quite add up, the small mistakes, or to "plot holes". And a story isn't necessarily worse just for that. Only if a story doesn't work for you in some way or another, you start noticing this stuff (something about "trust in the story teller"), and everything might break apart for you. And why a particular story works for some but not for others, well, that can have many reasons, of course.

Well, Film Crit Hulk explains it much better than I do - albeit with a few more words: http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/30/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs.-plot-holes-and-movie-logic/

Edit: For me, Bioshock Infinite had one of the best stories, perhaps even the best, I have experienced in a game. Including the end.
But that would suggest that ANY story is great, as long as you don't think about it too much. The problem is that Infinite clearly WANTS us to think about it. You can't present something as a work of art, and then say "but don't judge it too harshly."
No...this suggests that stories are good even if they ignore logic in the name of giving us a stronger emotional or dramatic payoff within their own confines. However, Cloud Atlas didn't quite phrase it as well or comprehensively as Film Hulk did, so if you didn't read that somewhat doorstopping blog post (it's still a really good read) I could see how you'd get that (Not to sound condescending to either of you of course, sorry if it comes off that way). I'd argue that Ininite's own problems with "logic" in a world of dimensional travel, clockwork birds, and tonics that alter human genetics are either handwavable by the messy nature of time travel and alternate universes whenever they appear in fiction, or can be brushed away by accepting the story that this work of art is trying to tell. Since Infinite has a story that is both powerful and good on its own merits, it's allowed a little leeway in the realm of logic, since anything that comes between telling a powerful and good story should be thrown out of the story.

Now, if you want to criticize the somewhat clumsy moralizing against generic extremism in any and all possible directions, or some other less than expertly delivered part of this game (for some people this is the combat, for others it's vigors, you get the idea), go right ahead, but to attempt to kick the legs out from underneath a narrative that can stand on its own two feet just fine (even if it only has two feet because it's borrowing them through time travelling alter-dimensional BS) suggests to me that either the story just didn't click with you - which is an entirely subjective experience and I'm sorry for calling you out over it, these things just happen - or you're just getting hung up on pedantry like we are all wont to do at certain times. And while that's not a big deal, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by letting such things distract you from the good things in the game and story.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
sumanoskae said:
SPOILERS! (duh)

I too am in the minority; I did not love Bioshock: Infinite. I enjoyed the game, but the story never grabbed me, and it wasn't because it didn't make sense or that my choices didn't matter.

No, my problem with Infinite is not a structural one, it's an artistic one.

When you first enter Columbia, the game makes an effort to affect a soothing atmosphere, to project an image of an ideal place, but the second I walked into that baptism, I knew exactly how this whole scene was going to play out.

Columbia is entrenched in American exceptionalism and traditionalism; two deeply flawed ideas. It comes as no surprise that such a place would carry within it all the negative connotations associated with those things. Being deeply oppressive and violently rigid is to be expected of a place that makes all of it's decisions based on religious conjecture.

So this begs another question; why would any sane person ever want to live here? Are people drawn here because they believe the quality of life is better? Are they taken by force? If we are meant to relate in some way to people within this tyrannical system that oppose it's values, we never get the chance because the only people who ever stand up to it are being oppressed by it.
Well, the people who want to be there are there because they're religious converts of Comstock's and have been promised an easy life in a new Eden. Seems like a pretty great sell. As for the "sane" aspect, well, they're largely religious and it's not like the world in the US in the early 1900s was all that amazing. Columbia does look positively serene.

As for the minorities, there's a recording early on from Jeremiah Fink that says he knows a man in Georgia who can "lease" blacks for menial labour (as the pilgrims won't want to do anything like that in their religious paradise). So your point about force is... well, actually the answer to some extent. Similar mechanisms are presumably responsible for the Irish segment of the community.

There's also a scene early on when you burst into a house that turns out to be a secret printing press producing pamphlets for the Vox Populi. It's run by two normal, run-of-the-mill Columbian citizens. It's unlikely that they are being oppressed, yet they stand up to Comstock. There's also the hunter hired to kill Daisy Fitzroy, who has a change of heart and ends up fighting for the Vox. These people are not the majority, but the game does present a broader cross-section of and rationale for its community than you seem to have realised.

sumanoskae said:
This, I believe, forms Infinite's Achilles heel; the story has no point. The only people you can really relate to are Booker, Elizabeth and the Vox, but the problem with this is that none of those three ever do anything to distinguish their characters. The only reason you can relate to Booker is because he is self interested, you can only relate to Elizabeth because she experiences the setting in the same way you do (It's all new to her), and you can only relate to the Vox because they behave like an oppressed minority WOULD behave.

No meaning can be extracted from people doing exactly what you would expect them to do, there is nothing to learn here.

An example of how to do this right; Andrew Ryan. Unlike Columbia, Rapture was built on good intentions; the tragedy of Rapture is that you can sympathize with it's ideas, with it's concepts, with it's goals, but it is the indifferent an inescapable forces of human nature and entropy that destroy it.

Andrew Ryan has a unique and controversial perspective, but it is a legitimate perspective, that you could arrive at with logic and reason. Andrew Ryan is a tragic figure because he is a human one, and as horrific as Rapture was, there was once beauty in it.

Comstock and Columbia are nakedly awful things born of nothing but dogmatic psychosis. It is impossible to relate to this concept, to this idea, because it's the work of a cartoon character; nobody with a functioning brain and a grasp of badic ethics could ever build something like Columbia with sincerity. Perhaps there is mileage to be found in the idea of Comtock being INSINCERE, but this is never touched upon.

Columbia is just an awful place that collapses because (Surprise, surprise) people are not fond of being oppressed. There is no pathos, there is no real tragedy.
This is an inherently subjective thing, I suppose, but the Bioshock games have always been about ideas taken to extremes. The problem, I guess, is that modern audiences have a hard time believing that Columbia isn't actually that much of an exaggeration. Finkton and Fink Industries operate in a way entirely in keeping with the way American companies sometimes behaved prior to the Great Depression. That religious dogma and systematic oppression of minorities is totally a thing that happened. The awful thing is that Columbia is generally shown to be a great place for the privileged class. To modern eyes, the whole thing might look ridiculous, but you shouldn't believe it is an unrealistic depiction that couldn't actually happen. Short of the city-in-the-sky aspect, Columbia isn't actually inventing all that much.

I also disagree with you on the characters and how deep/shallow they come off as during the game, but that's a pretty subjective thing. Suffice to say that I think they characterised Elizabeth and Booker well enough. Comstock could have used some work, I concur.

sumanoskae said:
So, now to address the ending. In a word; So? I understand perfectly well the mechanics of what's going on with the split realities and such; I even predicted the ending as soon as we entered another reality. "The hero is secretly the villain" isn't a novel idea anymore, in fact, it's just the literal manifestation of the metaphorical "Fighting with monsters" trope, which is older than dirt.

But I will not criticize the game for not surprising me, a good story does not need to be unpredictable. Instead I will ask this; what is the point of Booker being Comstock? What narrative or metaphorical purpose does it serve? The obvious one would be implying that the two of them aren't so different, but since neither of them are fully developed characters, this means nothing. Not to mention that I don't buy that the Booker we spend most of the game with, who reacts to almost nothing other than Elizabeth in any meaningful way, would have the intelligence, charisma or desire to found a national hate group; what few basic personality traits Booker and Comstock have, they do not have in common.

So the idea that Booker might have become Comstock means nothing, because we have no sufficient explanation for how this happened. Oh, we're TOLD that it was a result of wounded knee, but again, Booker does not have definitive enough personality to contextualize these events.

So I will ask again; what is the point of the alternate reality plot? We only ever visit two or three different realities, so it isn't really used as a narrative or framing device, and it doesn't lend the story or characters any depth. I get the impression that it's just in the game because it's unusual and bizarre.

Bioshock Infinite spends so much time just explaining how it's sci-fi twist works, that it forgets to ever make it's existence meaningful. Would it have not been more interesting to, say, see Booker become more like Comstock in real time; to see his philosophy and psychology shift and evolve; to see him actually become the villain, instead of the game just telling us he is.
I discussed this in a post just previously, but basically, the whole of the many universes thing exists as a metaphor for video game narratives and how the player can't really touch or change them. That's the "constant" part of the constants and variables. This is why so much time is spent on the alternate reality power. It's trying to convey a meta-narrative through the narrative mechanics of the different dimensions. No matter how many times you kill Comstock, another person is out there in the world playing the same game, experiencing the same story, and Comstock is still alive out there ruining their lives.

The "solution", in effect, is to kill the antagonist before he is born, so the story can never take place and the suffering therein never happens. And thus any universe where Comstock exists is erased from existence at the culmination of its narrative, leaving only the universe where the characters (hopefully) avoid such tragedy.

As for Comstock and Booker being the same person, I believe it's intended as a bit of a jab at video game violence in general. Both these people carried out terrible, terrible acts. Booker slaughters hundreds on his way to face Comstock, after all. Them being the same person is meant to carry across the idea that they aren't so different, as you said, but in the context of the game's rather meta narrative it comes off more as a condemnation of the way video games portray violence in general. Most games, after all, have a fairly limited number of enemy types. From a certain angle, that isn't all that different from Comstock inciting violence against specific racial groups.

sumanoskae said:
Infinite seems like it's banking on just the existence of it's final twist to be so amazing that the wow factor alone will justify it's inclusion. But Bioshock Infinite spends the majority of it's time with Booker and Elizabeth trying to escape from Columbia, and that journey is sorely lacking in the areas that really make a story great; it's theme is non-existent, it's characters are nothing special, and it's plot is merely unusual.

I enjoyed the game, overall; the polish and presentation of Infinite are nothing short of fantastic, and I don't think it's entirely lacking in substance, but I do find it severely overrated and nowhere near as profound as many people make it out to be.
I find quite a lot of people seem to have felt the same way. That's fine, the game really isn't for everyone. With the rather crazy levels of meta-narrative at play, the game is actually pretty pretentious and not that interested in helping potential players to "get" it. Personally, I find that kind of thing enjoyable, but to anyone whose brain isn't as obsessed with highly pretentious claptrap as mine I can see that it wouldn't be all that great.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Azahul said:
Okay, having read this thread through and hearing about the whole "universe overlaying" thing, I admit that with that detail in place the lack of Elizibeth 2 or 3 makes a whole lot more sense, and it also solves the question of why some people know they died in another universe but others don't. However if this is how Elizabeth's powers are supposed to work then it's not explained very well and somewhat conflicts with the idea that every time Booker dies the Leutices just go back and hire another Booker, because if Booker dies after Elizibeth overlayed two universes over each other, then aren't those two universes perma-fucked as a direct result? Although as I understand it the new Booker would be going to another Universe all together as well so alright, fair enough.
Booker's hand doesn't have an excuse as far as I'm concerned, he clearly saw that poster, he clearly knew that he had the same mark, and he still made no attempt to conceal his hand in any way, whether the understands the gravity of the situation or not, it's still incredibly stupid of him.
And you see plasmids being given out for free and just lying around the place on several occasions, it's also established that Shock Jockey is used as the primary power supply in allot of the city, so if they're as expensive as you say then they aren't being treated as such.

Azahul said:
Comstock isn't a military leader. As Slate establishes, he didn't have any real part in any of Columbia's previous engagements (beyond serving at Wounded Knee, but he wasn't a commander there as I understand it). Presumably, he has military commanders who deal with things like armed revolts.

Also, the bit at Comstock House is implied to be up to six months after the rebellion broke out and Elizabeth was captured. While the war is still raging across the city, with the Vox appearing to be winning, the situation has dragged out so long and normalised to the extent that presumably Comstock no longer needs to spend every moment in crisis meetings.
This actually leads me to another thing that bugged me and that's why exactly the Vox havn't attacked Comstock House during all this, I mean we saw that they were ransacking the area around Comstock House, and it can't be kept too secret that he's keeping something very important in there, so why don't they ever attack? I guess you're statement about Comstock not being a military guy or the conflict having normalized does seem like a reasonable excuse but it still seems odd, it wasn't one of the major concerns though so it get's a pass.

Azahul said:
The reason Elizabeth becomes 1983 Elizabeth is because Booker never reaches her, and she eventually gives up. He never reaches her because "Songbird always stops you". She gives him a card which tells Elizabeth how to control Songbird, so that particular event will no longer happen.

Then, finally, she sends you back through a tear to a time and a place that puts Booker pretty much on top of Elizabeth. I've always assumed that the reason for that was that future Elizabeth is actually teleporting Booker past Songbird, letting him reunite with Elizabeth to prevent future Elizabeth from happening. This is what allows Booker to save Elizabeth and stop the future. Had you just been left on that bridge, you would have had to fight past Songbird to get to Comstock House and save Elizabeth. Instead, future Elizabeth creates a tear to let you by-pass that.
I actually had this thought myself after posting this thread, and that whole sequence isn't incredibly clear anyway so okay, the idea of Elizabeth using the tears to teleport Booker does seem to fit farily well... except it runs entirely contrary to the interests of Bioshok Infinite being a video game, and cuts out an opportune time for a boss fight with Songbird, which I was waiting for since I saw the first gameplay trailer of this game back in 2010, in which Songbird makes an appearance at the end(although he was only referred to as "him"). The lack of a Songbird fight was incredibly disappointing for me, and what I'm getting from this is that they opted to skip the climactic boss fight that everyone was waiting for in favor of a sub-par stealth section. I understand that this would have destroyed the whole "Songbird always stops you" thing, but what if that was woven into the narrative, it could even work with the whole meta game thing, since it'll likely take you more then one try to beat the boss if it's reasonably challenging, so the leutices would have to go through several more bookers until they get the one that CAN beat songbird, mirroring the different tries a player has go through before they can eventually have that perfect run and beat the boss.
Your explanation does make a reasonable amount of sense, but it just stands to show how Bioshock Infinite fails to remember that it's a video game.
speaking of which...

I fully understand that the constants and variables are supposed to be meta narrative about the nature of video games, but the problem in in the lack of follow through, it doesn't do anything with this idea of how the multiverse could be attributed to how every person playing Bioshock Infinite will have a very similar while very different experience, in favor of being just a giant exposition dump leading up to a twist about Booker and Elizabeth's true history. Honestly, if it had ended with Ken Levine being god, or slipping Elizabeth the script as I joked earlier, I think I would have liked that more, because I'm actually really into the idea of a story where video game characters become aware that they're in a video game, and if they'd gone down that route I probably would have been able to suspend my disbelief allot more.
But the problem as far as I see it is that this game took itself very very seriously, and wanted to cram way too many different statements and big ideas into one context where they all worked, and in my opinion failed to do so.
Bioshock Infinite's view of the many worlds theory is so overly simplified and just seems to be making things up as it goes along allot of the time (hell, I mentioned how the Leutices prove that gender is a veriable in this context, so their whole "always a man, always a lighthouse, always a city," thing doesn't work either, because it contradicts it's own rules, atleast fifty percent of the time that man would be a woman) and I feel this is largely as a by-product of a statement about video games that just feels half-finished if you ask me.
Azahul said:
I love and adore Bioshock Infinite. It's one of my favourite games of all time. I am sorry that you're struggling with many of the elements of its narrative, and I completely understand that it isn't for everyone. That said, I don't think the game is anywhere near as flawed as its critics make it out to be. I'm yet to see a single plot hole brought up that couldn't be explained away using the mechanics as established by the game's narrative.

With any luck, some of the answers above will help you out with the craziness. And I do heartily recommend checking out the Burial At Sea DLCs, they're not quite as wonky as all this.
I'm glad you love Bioshock Infinite, I want to love Bioshock Infinite too, and I understand that many of the problems myself and many other people have had with this game can be attributed to an in-laid set of rules for how all these things are supposed to work, the problem then is that I don't really care for that in-laid set of rules, and think they contradict themselves, are oftentimes poorly communicated or rely on speculation, or otherwise don't make very much sense.
I do not now, nor have I ever, said that Bioshock Infinite is a bad game or that you shouldn't play it, just that picking it's story apart has driven me to neer madness.

I do plan to play the burial at sea DLC as soon as I'm able, and I'm hoping that it alleviates some of my problems.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Madame_le_Flour said:
Okay, having read this thread through and hearing about the whole "universe overlaying" thing, I admit that with that detail in place the lack of Elizibeth 2 or 3 makes a whole lot more sense, and it also solves the question of why some people know they died in another universe but others don't. However if this is how Elizabeth's powers are supposed to work then it's not explained very well and somewhat conflicts with the idea that every time Booker dies the Leutices just go back and hire another Booker, because if Booker dies after Elizibeth overlayed two universes over each other, then aren't those two universes perma-fucked as a direct result? Although as I understand it the new Booker would be going to another Universe all together as well so alright, fair enough.
I can understand the complaint that it isn't explained very well. The game isn't perfect, and does force the player to make a lot of deductions themself. I guess the problem in this case is that Elizabeth doesn't really understand her own powers too well, so she's not in a position to supply a properly detailed explanation of the mechanics. You kind of have to infer a lot, particularly from that comment she makes about her powers being a form of wish fulfillment. She isn't going to a new universe, she's combining her current one with elements of another universe that has what she wants.

You sort of answered your own question though regarding screwed up universes and dead Bookers. While it should be noted that the Lutece's machine works differently to Elizabeth's powers (it doesn't layer the universes, as you can see by it being able to bring Booker into a universe where he already exists as Comstock), it does seem that each time a Booker fails, the experiment is carried out in the next universe.

The failed universes aren't necessarily screwed up forever though. I would guess that they are also destroyed when Booker is drowned in the Baptism, as Elizabeth seems to have layered all the universes together in that moment.

Madame_le_Flour said:
Booker's hand doesn't have an excuse as far as I'm concerned, he clearly saw that poster, he clearly knew that had the same mark, and he still made no attempt to conceal his hand in any way, whether the understands the gravity of the situation or not, it's still incredibly stupid of him.
Heh, the poor guy was in the midst of having his brain rewritten and had just been shot into a magic city that didn't exist in his universe. You'll also note that he ignores the advice not to pick #77. They're not smart or rational decisions, but I suppose we just have to go with him being a disorientated and fallible human being. You're welcome to consider Booker a bit of an idiot for it, but I think the slip-up is understandable in the circumstances.
Madame_le_Flour said:
And you see plasmids being given out for free and just lying around the place on several occasions, it's also established that Shock Jockey is used as the primary power supply in allot of the city, so if they're as expensive as you say then they aren't being treated as such.
Well, they were being given out for free at a special fair that only happens once a year. And if they're anything like plasmids (and they are, since at least a few tears lead to Rapture), then they're addictive. Actually a pretty evil business strategy, if you think about it. Pretty much identical to pushing drugs.

In all seriousness, the fair is a parade of new products from Fink industries, and most of the people in attendance appear to be of Columbia's wealthier classes. The free sample is a classic industry tactic.

From memory, you mostly start finding vigors lying around the place once war breaks out. In those cases, they're presumably being used by either side and you've stumbled across a supply drop. The rest of the time, I suppose we have to accept that a few video game conventions are bound to slip through here and there.

Similarly, most of the time you see Shock Jockey in use the place is either owned by Fink industry, some other business owner, or an official state service. All groups you could assume are able to afford a Vigor.

I should note though that the original point was "no one is using vigors", when clearly Shock Jockey, Murder of Crows, and the fire one all see use in the game. So they're out there, just not omnipresent.

Madame_le_Flour said:
I actually had this thought myself after posting this thread, and that whole sequence isn't incredibly clear anyway so okay, the idea of Elizabeth using the tears to teleport Booker does seem to fit farily well... except it runs entirely contrary to the interests of Bioshok Infinite being a video game, and cuts out an opportune time for a boss fight with Songbird, which I was waiting for since I saw the first gameplay trailer of this game back in 2010, in which Songbird makes an appearance at the end(although he was only referred to as "him"). The lack of a Songbird fight was incredibly disappointing for me, and what I'm getting from this is that they opted to skip the climactic boss fight that everyone was waiting for in favor of a sub-par stealth section. I understand that this would have destroyed the whole "Songbird always stops you" thing, but what if that was woven into the narrative, it could even work with the whole meta game thing, since it'll likely take you more then one try to beat the boss if it's reasonably challenging, so the leutices would have to go through several more bookers until they get the one that CAN beat songbird, mirroring the different tries a player has go through before they can eventually have that perfect run and beat the boss.
Your explanation does make a reasonable amount of sense, but it just stands to show how Bioshock Infinite fails to remember that it's a video game.
speaking of which...
I can certainly understand the disappointment, although I didn't feel any myself. I don't really care overmuch about boss fights. There is a slight possibility that my inner feminist was too delighted at seeing Elizabeth take care of Songbird in such a dismissive manner to really register the lost opportunity.

Mind you, like I said earlier, the game isn't perfect. I completely get being sad at the lack of a climactic boss battle. The way it's set up in the game, it comes off like Songbird beating Booker is a constant. The only time that changes is when Elizabeth becomes strong enough to beat him. This didn't have to be the case, of course, nothing was stopping them from writing this part of the game differently, but as written it does all make sense within the context of the narrative. And at that point, it all comes down to the utterly subjective question of whether you feel a potential boss fight would be worth an altered script. There's no right answer to that question, but I struggle with calling it a "flaw" in the game as is.

Madame_le_Flour said:
I fully understand that the constants and variables are supposed to be meta narrative about the nature of video games, but the problem in in the lack of follow through, it doesn't do anything with this idea of how the multiverse could be attributed to how every person playing Bioshock Infinite will have a very similar while very different experience, in favor of being just a giant exposition dump leading up to a twist about Booker and Elizabeth's true history. Honestly, if it had ended with Ken Levine being god, or slipping Elizabeth the script as I joked earlier, I think I would have liked that more, because I'm actually really into the idea of a story where video game characters become aware that they're in a video game, and if they'd gone down that route I probably would have been able to suspend my disbelief allot more.
But the problem as far as I see it is that this game took itself very very seriously, and wanted to cram way too many different statements and big ideas into one context where they all worked, and in my opinion failed to do so.
I don't think it's bad that Bioshock Infinite takes itself seriously. It deals with a lot of serious issues, and turning the game into a joke at the end could be seen as doing a disservice to the many other philosophical, political, and social issues that it looks at. The game and its treatment of video games is intended as metaphor, and I liked that they kept it as such throughout the entire ending. It's easy to make a commentary on video games by breaking the fourth wall. It is a lot harder to do it without ever explicitly informing your audience what it is that you're doing.

We're both talking about opinions at this point though. Mechanically, I don't see anything wrong with how the game ended. It is a piece of writing though, an artistic and subjective experience that is inevitably going to be enjoyed more by some than others. Not much we can do here beyond agreeing to disagree on how we found the ending.

Madame_le_Flour said:
Bioshock Infinite's view of the many worlds theory is so overly simplified and just seems to be making things up as it goes along allot of the time (hell, I mentioned how the Leutices prove that gender is a veriable in this context, so their whole "always a man, always a lighthouse, always a city," thing doesn't work either, because it contradicts it's own rules, because atleast fifty percent of the time that man would be a woman) and I feel this is largely as a by-product of a statement about video games that just feels half-finished if you ask me.
I don't think gender is always variable. It is in the case of the Luteces, it isn't in the case of Elizabeth and Booker. It isn't that set "subjects", like gender, profession, name, and so on are either always variable or always constant. What is variable and what is constant is unique for each possible variable. So the Luteces having variable gender doesn't mean Booker does, while Fink always being called Fink doesn't mean that Elizabeth can't be called Anna in some universes.

Personally, I found the many worlds theory in Infinite to actually stick to its rules throughout the whole game. Of course, said rules aren't exactly concrete, but the game isn't interested in an exploration of the many worlds theory as scientists in our world understand it. It's interested, in the end, in an exploration of the idea of choice and how it plays into video game narratives. This can be seen in everything from the arbitrary "moral" choices you get that change nothing about the game, to comments from the Luteces (most notable when you are forced to hand over Anna). The many worlds theory is a vehicle it adopts and changes to help convey the chosen themes and narrative, and the changes it makes to the theory in the process are no different from Bioshock reworking how DNA works for its own story.
Madame_le_Flour said:
I'm glad you love Bioshock Infinite, I want to love Bioshock Infinite too, and I understand that many of the problems myself and many other people have had with this game can be attributed to an in-laid set of rules for how all these things are supposed to work, the problem then is that I don't reall care for that in-laid set of rules, and think they contradict themselves, are oftentimes poorly communicated or rely on speculation, or otherwise don't make very much sense.
I do not now, nor have I ever, said that Bioshock Infinite is a bad game or that you shouldn't play it, just that picking it's story apart has driven me to neer madness.

I do plan to play the burial at sea DLC as soon as I'm able, and I'm hoping that it alleviates some of my problems.
The ability to overcome the impulse to impose any pre-existing notion of the many worlds theories onto the game does seem peculiarly necessary to enjoy it, yeah. As someone who does enjoy the game the fact that so many people have had a problem with that aspect continues to leave me rather bemused. Like I've said, I can't see any meaningful difference between Bioshock making up its own rules for DNA and Infinite making up its own rules for parallel universes.

Ah well. I've said it a few times, but I really do get it when people say they don't like Bioshock Infinite. A lot of my favourite movies (Cloud Atlas springs to mind) are along the same lines. If your head is in the right place, it's one of the best things to have come out of its respective industry. If it isn't, you're just not going to enjoy it. But having said that, I don't think anyone's issues with Bioshock Infinite can possibly go deeper than "doesn't like it for personal reasons". Structurally speaking, the game has a story that is internally cohesive and makes sense within the context of its universe. Plot holes exist, as they do in all media, but nothing that breaks the story on a mechanical level. I find it much more likely that those individuals that dislike Bioshock Infinite dislike it simply because it doesn't appeal to them, than because the story makes no sense.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Fox12 said:
But you're suggesting that in order for a story to be consistent, it has to sacrifice emotion, and that's simply not true. In fact, the opposite is true. Logical writing and consistency actually ADD to the emotion of a story. Just look at Berserk or Oedipus Rex as an example. Consistency is a minimal standard of quality among story tellers. If you can't even nail down the basic facets of writing, then maybe you shouldn't be working in the industry. I would also argue that if a creator was actually emotionally invested in his creation, then he would put his best effort into making it as good as possible. Plot holes are a sign of laziness or thoughtlessness on the part of the story teller. If a story teller really wants to write something with "dramatic and emotional impact" wouldn't it make sense for him to make the story as good as possible?
No, I am suggesting that it can be worth to sacrifice some logic in order to achieve other goals like emotional impact. If you quote me, please don't put words into my mouth (again).

Suppose you direct a movie, and you believe a certain scene would be emotionally/dramatically/thematically much more powerful if you change a few minor details even though that means you make some minor continuity errors. If you refuse to make these changes then just to satisfy the eternal nitpickers, the self-appointed plot hole police, your movie will be worse for it. And that's why probably no famous director is refusing to make such changes.
Or are you suggesting that all the Spielbergs and Cuarons, the Nolans and Jacksons, the Camerons and McQueens "fail to meet the minimum standards of quality", that they "can't even nail down the basic facets of writing" and thus "shouldn't be working in the industry"?

Edit: I don't want to be condescending, but if you think some anime series are the paragons of good storytelling... well... maybe you do have quite different preferences. The same goes for the person who cited Final Fantasy games as the ones with the best stories, but oh well.

Azahul said:
A lot of my favourite movies (Cloud Atlas springs to mind) are along the same lines. If your head is in the right place, it's one of the best things to have come out of its respective industry.
;)

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
CloudAtlas said:
I will confess to doing a double take every time I see your username. Probably a reason why it was leaping to mind so readily in this thread.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
For anyone who hasn't gotten the memo yet:

Azahul said:
Well, the people who want to be there are there because they're religious converts of Comstock's and have been promised an easy life in a new Eden. Seems like a pretty great sell. As for the "sane" aspect, well, they're largely religious and it's not like the world in the US in the early 1900s was all that amazing. Columbia does look positively serene.

As for the minorities, there's a recording early on from Jeremiah Fink that says he knows a man in Georgia who can "lease" blacks for menial labour (as the pilgrims won't want to do anything like that in their religious paradise). So your point about force is... well, actually the answer to some extent. Similar mechanisms are presumably responsible for the Irish segment of the community.

There's also a scene early on when you burst into a house that turns out to be a secret printing press producing pamphlets for the Vox Populi. It's run by two normal, run-of-the-mill Columbian citizens. It's unlikely that they are being oppressed, yet they stand up to Comstock. There's also the hunter hired to kill Daisy Fitzroy, who has a change of heart and ends up fighting for the Vox. These people are not the majority, but the game does present a broader cross-section of and rationale for its community than you seem to have realised.
First of all, I would argue that important plot details, such as this, should not be relegated to audio clips that a player could very well miss, especially since it's all to easy for them to be drowned out by the gameplay and dialogue. If the only sure fire way to get the whole picture of the game is to scour every inch of every room you come across, that's a design flaw.

But onto the primary subject; perhaps I wasn't clear, I know how the game explains Columbia and it's inhabitants, my problem is that they aren't explained in an interesting or believable way. The population being religious converts is not enough to characterize or humanize them; so once again, the only explanation is that Comtock is nucking futts and everyone else is just as crazy as he is. This is not believable human behavior, people weren't just racist and evil in the 1900's because they were told to be, humans don't just blindly follow religion for no reason. Even the craziest people in real life follow some form of internal reasoning, no matter how flawed it is. Every action that is taken in Columbia is just dismissed as "The prophet said so and he speaks for God"

The minorities being brought over makes sense, but it doesn't add to the story in any way; you would figure that, yes, they're here because they have no choice. Like I said, nothing to learn here.

The occasional resistance is nothing more than basic human decency peaking through the cracks, and once again, is nothing special, and it raises the question of why these people ever came to such a shit place to begin with.

The answer to my questions were obvious, and that is exactly the problem; something cannot be both obvious and profound.
Azahul said:
This is an inherently subjective thing, I suppose, but the Bioshock games have always been about ideas taken to extremes. The problem, I guess, is that modern audiences have a hard time believing that Columbia isn't actually that much of an exaggeration. Finkton and Fink Industries operate in a way entirely in keeping with the way American companies sometimes behaved prior to the Great Depression. That religious dogma and systematic oppression of minorities is totally a thing that happened. The awful thing is that Columbia is generally shown to be a great place for the privileged class. To modern eyes, the whole thing might look ridiculous, but you shouldn't believe it is an unrealistic depiction that couldn't actually happen. Short of the city-in-the-sky aspect, Columbia isn't actually inventing all that much.

I also disagree with you on the characters and how deep/shallow they come off as during the game, but that's a pretty subjective thing. Suffice to say that I think they characterised Elizabeth and Booker well enough. Comstock could have used some work, I concur.
If you're up for it, I am curios to hear how you would describe Booker and Elizabeth's characters.

Comstocks ideas are just not very good, extreme or no. I'm aware that Columbia is not that far removed from real life, but depicting something does not mean that you understand it; the people who ran these systems in real life were not Comstock, they were not cartoon characters dogmatically following a madman for no reason; there were years of sociology and layers of industry and ulterior motives driving their actions.

I have no trouble believing that a place like Columbia could exist, I just sincerely doubt that it would look like the Columbia we see in the game; effective demagogues don't just spout religious nonsense and hate speeches, they tell a populous what it wants to hear, they appeal to the emotions of their people to disguise the illogical nature of their clams and back up their reasoning with plausible sounding lies. Nothing Comstock says would attract anyone who wasn't already as far gone as he is.

A real life example is the slave trade; it was a publicly awful practice that almost no sane person thought well of, but it thrived because people got invested in it's benefits and justified their addiction to it by doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves of their own rightness.

The movie 12 Years a Slave does a good job in depicting the ways in which normal people, not so different from you or I, can become complaisant with or sometimes even participate in terrible things.

This is how Columbia SHOULD feel, it should be a well rounded enough world that even if you don't know the history, you can understand why people would act like this; the oppression of Columbia should not be comfortably distant from the player, it should be uncomfortably close.

Azahul said:
I discussed this in a post just previously, but basically, the whole of the many universes thing exists as a metaphor for video game narratives and how the player can't really touch or change them. That's the "constant" part of the constants and variables. This is why so much time is spent on the alternate reality power. It's trying to convey a meta-narrative through the narrative mechanics of the different dimensions. No matter how many times you kill Comstock, another person is out there in the world playing the same game, experiencing the same story, and Comstock is still alive out there ruining their lives.

The "solution", in effect, is to kill the antagonist before he is born, so the story can never take place and the suffering therein never happens. And thus any universe where Comstock exists is erased from existence at the culmination of its narrative, leaving only the universe where the characters (hopefully) avoid such tragedy.

As for Comstock and Booker being the same person, I believe it's intended as a bit of a jab at video game violence in general. Both these people carried out terrible, terrible acts. Booker slaughters hundreds on his way to face Comstock, after all. Them being the same person is meant to carry across the idea that they aren't so different, as you said, but in the context of the game's rather meta narrative it comes off more as a condemnation of the way video games portray violence in general. Most games, after all, have a fairly limited number of enemy types. From a certain angle, that isn't all that different from Comstock inciting violence against specific racial groups.
I have a few issues with this concept; one of which is that it simply isn't true. People are constantly complaining about how their in game choices don't matter, but they approach this idea with insane expectations.

Take Mass Effect; it apparently isn't enough for some people that their choices can condemn 3 entire species to extinction, or determine who lives and who dies; people were still upset that they're choices didn't have more impact.

I have a fairly complex theory regarding this, but I'll try to summarize quickly; developers are touting the virtues of choice and consequence more and more in RPGs, sometimes even acting as though this feature alone will make or break the gaming experience. Now, many people have trouble putting words to thoughts, of taking an abstract emotional reaction and breaking it down into a rational sequence of events, so they borrow from other sources to find the words. And these people often place the blame for being unsatisfied with a gaming experience overall on what much of the industry considers to be the holy grail of game design; choice and consequence.

People seem to have forgotten that simply because a game is different every time you play it, it doesn't mean that it's any good any of those times. The purpose of choice and consequence is to make the game world feel like a real place that operates not based on the whims of designers but on a system of logic not so different from our own, to allow you to interact with it and form a sense of self within it. Creating replay value pales in comparison to making you play the game as if you were actually there. If an action results in a consequence in a game, it should be because taking such an action would likely result in that consequence were the game world real, and sometimes the shit we do just doesn't matter, not every consequence has to be earth shattering to be meaningful.

To summarize how this relates to Infinite, it's idea that nothing you do in a game matters only holds water if you approach the video games with the same arbitrary desire for endless choice and consequence that the industry does, if you want every choice you make in a game to affect every aspect of it, even though such a game would probably be severely unfocused and not very good.

Further more, implying that what you do in a game is meaningless because someone else played it differently is a contradiction; the world of the game will only acknowledge the set of decisions you've made in this particular pocket dimension, and the characters will not be affected by the others.

The same concept would apply to real life; there may be a version of me somewhere that posted a picture of a ferret juggling chainsaws instead of this reply, but you and I will probably never run across him, nor will anyone else in this dimension.

If you say that what you do here doesn't matter because another version of you is doing something else, then you must also acknowledge that what you are doing has some sort of meaning, otherwise what that other you is doing wouldn't matter either. There are infinite realities in which Comstock is being a prick, but there are also infinite realities in which he spearheads the civil rights movement instead.

If one cancels the other out, then the other must do the same; if the fact that Comstock will always exist is supposed to bother us, then we should be equally glad that there are places in which he doesn't, to focus only on the negative is to be pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.

As for the metaphorical violence stuff; everyone you kill on the way to Comstock is either totally deserving of death or trying to kill you. The fact that they all have similar character models only resembles racism in a superficial way. The reason that Booker kills people and the reason that, say, the KKK killed people have nothing in common.

Further more, to have Booker or anyone else acknowledge this fact makes no sense; in the world of the game, these are all different people, so this has nothing to do with the story of the game itself being any good, in the game the violence is very cut in dry.

The fact that both Booker and Comstock have killed people who sort of look alike means nothing besides that Booker and Comstock have both killed people who sort of look alike; the two still have nothing in common. This is sort of the problem with allegory; simply referencing something doesn't mean you're commenting on it.

Simply depicting a behavior does not make your story profound; being Meta does not make your game enjoyable.

Once again I will play the example game; Demon's Souls conditions the player to behave in certain ways in order to survive; get souls, kill bosses, repeat. Not doing these things results in either you never getting anywhere in the game or dying over and over again, you have to adopt them in order to survive.

Then, you come across Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea; neither of these people have done anything deserving of death, and they do not want to fight you, but you can't progress until you kill them. They die because they refused to follow the rules of survival in the world of the game.

You may notice that this behavior has a lot in common with the way lots of real world situations play out, and it's not because Demon's Souls is trying to comment on them specifically, it's because Demon's Souls is thoughtfully designed enough that its story and setting resemble human nature as it is in real life.

We are not simply told by an arbitrary comparison that we and the soul starved monsters we kill are alike, we go through the process of becoming one and come to intimately understand their motivations and psychology.

THIS is how you use a mechanic as a metaphor; your behavior does not simply vaguely resemble that of your enemy, you BECOME your enemy in every way that matters; everything you found despicable and perverse about the demons now applies to you as well, and now you understand why people behave in horrific ways; because they are only as good as the world allows them to be. The game does not simply change the character, it changes the player.
Azahul said:
I find quite a lot of people seem to have felt the same way. That's fine, the game really isn't for everyone. With the rather crazy levels of meta-narrative at play, the game is actually pretty pretentious and not that interested in helping potential players to "get" it. Personally, I find that kind of thing enjoyable, but to anyone whose brain isn't as obsessed with highly pretentious claptrap as mine I can see that it wouldn't be all that great.
No argument here, though I would say that Infinite is not pretentious because it's aloof, I would say that it's pretentious because it's not as smart as it thinks it is.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
delta4062 said:
I really wish Bioshock 1 and Infinite (since no one gives a shit about 2) weren't seen as these great games with such a d33p story. Because they're not. The plot twist in 1 wasn't anywhere near as grand as the internet kept making it out to be and Infinite was nothing but pretentious bullshit. I could look past all this if the games were genuinely fun to play but they're piss poor shooters to boot.
I think I've just found my people...

I actually quite enjoy BioShock 1, but you're right, it really isn't as deep as people say, particularly considering the framework and story are derivative as hell. Unfortunately, pointing that out in most places doesn't lead to a discussion, just people telling me I'm a c***...

Oh, and anybody who has spent time considering BioShock Infinite's undue critical reception might enjoy this guy's video. I assure you, it's not just a half-hour hate rant, he's actually a really interesting guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&list=PLE205CA59C798C525

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Madame_le_Flour said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
Couldn't disagree more with the criticism leveled at this game. I'll just leave it at that.

No wait, I won't. I think it's insane that people criticize this story in an industry where 99% of the narratives and virtually all of the writing/dialogue are routinely and completely god-fucking-awful. What the Bioshock games attempt to do, and often succeed in doing, is light years ahead of the bullshit churned out by most game makers. If we saw even half a dozen titles with the storytelling ambition of Infinite each year, I'd be completely satisfied as a gamer.

Just ridiculous.
I see and understand your point, I truly truly do, but if we're going to count games like Bioshock Infinite among the greatest we've ever made from a narrative standpoint we need to take a damn microscope to it, and pick apart it's failings because criticism is what leads to improvement, and if we get scared to criticize something then it will never get any better.
As I always say, criticize the things you hate, and do double to the things you love.
And I understand your point, but I'm not sure it should apply to video games at this juncture. As an industry, gaming SUCKS at narrative. It's not remotely in the same ballpark as film or literature. So when a game does try to do something ambitious and interesting, and does so with a competence that (while flawed in places) manages to easily outshine the vast majority of its peers, I'm not sure we should be blasting it into the stone age with criticism. It feels like complaining about the purity of a bottle of water when you're dying of thirst in the middle of a desert. Be critical, sure, and have discussions/debates, but the notion that Infinite is some steaming pile is ludicrous in my mind. Makes me wonder what universe people are living in where more than a small handful of games have better stories or characters or writing, because it's not this universe.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Efrit_ said:
Oh, bull. While there is always a plethora of games being released which ignore or create bad stories, there are more than enough which have good or even fantastic stories. Infinite is not one of them. Infinite is prentious, it plays out just like bioshock 1 did: babies first introduction. Where 1 introduced people to objectivism, infinite introduced them to the concept of infinite realities. Except, unlike 1, it didn't have completely solid gameplay or atmosphere to disguise how utterly dreadful its story truly was composed.
"Pretentious" is a complaint leveled at virtually every high-minded or high-concept narrative. I'm not saying it never applies, but I think it's a weak and largely unsupportable criticism. You can easily mirror it, dismissing the most grounded and gritty stories as simplistic or even idiotic. I simply don't believe in this "axis of quality" as worthy of analysis or debate.

Want to know games with truly great stories?
Spec ops: the line
So a game with even more repetitive and derivative gameplay than Infinite? SO:TL was admittedly a tremendous bit of subversion, but it's also one of the worst "great games" (as a game, mind you) that you'll ever play.

All silent hills, which put more thought into symbolism and horror than Levine likely did with Elizabeth and her god powers.
Disagree. SH1 was unique, SH2 was a monumental narrative accomplishment for the medium, and the rest have been fairly hit or miss.

Legacy of kain
No arguments there. Loved it.

Final fantasy 4, 5, 6, 12, and fours sequel the after years.
Etc
Vehemently disagree. FF games are crazy hit and miss, and even the best ones have their severely uneven bits. There's also the overriding issue of "a lot of people think JRPG stories are almost universally utter shit"... a camp I find myself agreeing with more and more as I grow older.

Infinite was, in all honesty, the most disappointing game I've played since the year 2000 came around.
The only reasons this could be true, in my opinion: 1) you were way, way too hyped for the game before you played it, or 2) you haven't played many games since 2000.

Also, you named a very small handful of games with "great stories". This kind of proves my point. In a medium where people struggle to list even 10-20 great narratives, I have no idea how something as polished and detailed as Infinite catches such insanely harsh criticism for a few bumps and plot holes.

I'd put Shadow of the Colossus, Grim Fandango, Torment, and the Portal games right up there as having truly great stories. The Bioshocks make my list, too. Probably because I think their issues (which definitely exist) are problems almost every other game story would love to have.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Azahul said:
Also, vigors are new and highly expensive (and, based on the characters you do see using them, have all the same mind-degrading side effects that plasmids have) so it's not surprising they're in limited use.
I call bullshit. The first thing that happens in Infinite when you get to columbia is some rando handing you a bottle of super powers in the street. If that didn't happen, you might have a point, but the first thing the game does when it exposes you to vigors is contradict this to hell.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Benpasko said:
Azahul said:
Also, vigors are new and highly expensive (and, based on the characters you do see using them, have all the same mind-degrading side effects that plasmids have) so it's not surprising they're in limited use.
I call bullshit. The first thing that happens in Infinite when you get to columbia is some rando handing you a bottle of super powers in the street. If that didn't happen, you might have a point, but the first thing the game does when it exposes you to vigors is contradict this to hell.
Dude, it's a once-per-year fair. The free sample is an established method of hooking in customers for a new product. Especially when said product is highly addictive.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Azahul said:
Benpasko said:
Azahul said:
Dude, it's a once-per-year fair. The free sample is an established method of hooking in customers for a new product. Especially when said product is highly addictive.
You don't give someone a lifetime's supply of the product you're free sampling, she just straight up gives you a super power. Something can either be rare and experimental, or they can give it to strangers in the street, but it being both is stupid. Your explanation would make more sense in the original conception of the game, where vigors were going to be disposable, and that scene is probably just a lazy holdover.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
I should preface this by saying that it's late and I've not got time to reply to everything. Will finish it up tomorrow.
sumanoskae said:
First of all, I would argue that important plot details, such as this, should not be relegated to audio clips that a player could very well miss, especially since it's all to easy for them to be drowned out by the gameplay and dialogue. If the only sure fire way to get the whole picture of the game is to scour every inch of every room you come across, that's a design flaw.
It's not really critical information for the plot, and the voxophone is one of the more obviously placed ones in question (not long after the fighting starts, out in the open on a route the game forces you down, if I remember right). It's a convention of the series anyway, and one I rather enjoy. The dialogue of the game gives you the information you need, the rest just fills out the picture.
sumanoskae said:
But onto the primary subject; perhaps I wasn't clear, I know how the game explains Columbia and it's inhabitants, my problem is that they aren't explained in an interesting or believable way. The population being religious converts is not enough to characterize or humanize them; so once again, the only explanation is that Comtock is nucking futts and everyone else is just as crazy as he is. This is not believable human behavior, people weren't just racist and evil in the 1900's because they were told to be, humans don't just blindly follow religion for no reason. Even the craziest people in real life follow some form of internal reasoning, no matter how flawed it is. Every action that is taken in Columbia is just dismissed as "The prophet said so and he speaks for God"
Again, look at Columbia before everything goes to crap, and compare it to life in the average early 20th century city. It actually looks pretty nice by comparison. In fact, if you're not a minority, Columbia looks amazing. Rapture was cramped, with no security net, and an almost inevitable crime problem. Columbia, by contrast, is sunlit, open, with strong security, no menial labour for the pilgrims, and full of like-minded people. What, exactly, is the downside to living in Columbia versus anywhere in the USA in that time period?

On top of this, it is run by a man who could literally see the future. Regardless of the strength of your faith, that's pretty damned convincing.
sumanoskae said:
The minorities being brought over makes sense, but it doesn't add to the story in any way; you would figure that, yes, they're here because they have no choice. Like I said, nothing to learn here.
What do you mean, "doesn't add to the story"? It adds to the motivation of the Vox Populi, it provides an explanation for how Columbia can function as an Eden for its chosen people, and it demonstrates how Columbia treats certain citizens as less than equal due to their race. I flat out don't understand what you mean by this point.
sumanoskae said:
The occasional resistance is nothing more than basic human decency peaking through the cracks, and once again, is nothing special, and it raises the question of why these people ever came to such a shit place to begin with.
What is shit about Columbia? I mean this in all honesty. The life of the pilgrims there is positively beautiful. They live in relative luxury, are in a community that embraces the same faith and ideals (faith and ideals common to America at the time, I should note), and have the worst jobs filled by the minorities. They don't have to deal with pollution, crime doesn't appear to be terribly high until later on, they have technology the world below hasn't even begun to dream of, what, precisely, makes Columbia a "shit place"?

Add to this the fact that it's impossible to characterise every individual. Bioshock Infinite does it enough to demonstrate that citizens of Columbia aren't all a homogeneous mass, that some sympathise with the Vox, and so on. There are multiple instances of people standing up to Comstock, each for their own reasons. You can add Slate to that list I named before. Some do it because of their conscience, others for their pride, and still more for their faith.
sumanoskae said:
The answer to my questions were obvious, and that is exactly the problem; something cannot be both obvious and profound.
Does every detail of the setting need to be profound? It's obvious, for example, that Rapture needed a food source. Does the fact that they have a large fish market lower the quality of the game by not being profound? This is another of those rather baffling comments.
sumanoskae said:
If you're up for it, I am curios to hear how you would describe Booker and Elizabeth's characters.
Any description of an individual sounds corny and shallow by default. I doubt I'd be able to characterise, say, one of my siblings without making them sound poorly written. So I'm not sure what you aim to gain from that.

That said, there are some obvious character traits. Booker is quick to violence, angry, a gambler, off-balance throughout much of the game by only having the loosest grasp on his own motives, and, obviously, haunted by past mistakes. He reacts quickly and often irrationally. You can see the parts of him that could grow to become Comstock, from that old desire to rid himself of accusations of Native blood by his actions at Wounded Knee, to his callous disregard towards the lives of both Comstock's men and the Vox. Even his more fatherly traits could be seen as fully blossoming in Comstock.

Elizabeth is harder to summarise, because she's the one that changes the most during the game. She starts off excited at the prospect of finally being free, horrified at the costs required to attain that freedom, and appalled at what Columbia is like beneath the surface. She's intelligent, empathises with the plight of others, and brave. She's also a lot more calm and patient than Booker, and far more open to new thoughts and ideas (possibly due to having nothing to do all her life but read books Songbird brings her, exposing her to new concepts all the time). Where Booker tends to react impulsively (something looks dangerous at first glance, let's avoid using it in the future), she has the determination to actually sort through the problems to make it work.
sumanoskae said:
Comstocks ideas are just not very good, extreme or no. I'm aware that Columbia is not that far removed from real life, but depicting something does not mean that you understand it; the people who ran these systems in real life were not Comstock, they were not cartoon characters dogmatically following a madman for no reason; there were years of sociology and layers of industry and ulterior motives driving their actions.

I have no trouble believing that a place like Columbia could exist, I just sincerely doubt that it would look like the Columbia we see in the game; effective demagogues don't just spout religious nonsense and hate speeches, they tell a populous what it wants to hear, they appeal to the emotions of their people to disguise the illogical nature of their clams and back up their reasoning with plausible sounding lies. Nothing Comstock says would attract anyone who wasn't already as far gone as he is.
Entire nations have been driven by demagogues into doing all kinds of despicable things in the past. Just because Comstock does them with American values doesn't change the fact that a certain kind of rhetoric appeals to a certain segment of the population. And because Columbia is drawn from those Comstock deems worthy, he can effectively scour America for the handful that share his opinion and populate his city with them. And always, always bear in mind that this is a man who can consistently see the future and has access to technology far beyond its time.

And even then, the game shows repeatedly that not everyone is in Columbia because they are true believers. As Fink shows, Columbia's laws provide many, many reasons for those with the privilege to enforce the status quo beyond blind racism.

On top of this, I'm still failing to see what is so bad about Columbia. The injustices in the city aren't out of line with what America was like at the time. The West really did intervene in the Boxer Rebellion. Interracial marriages were a reason for lynching. The slums like Finkton were real. Even Fink's hilarious time auctions, selling jobs to the worker who promises to do it fastest, were a thing that really happened. The city isn't all that much worse than the world below, with the sole exception of the promises to cleanse the world in fire at some indeterminate point in the future. And that's not something the average citizen has to engage with.

Anyway, I'll wrap up there. Get back to this sometime tomorrow. Feel free to respond in the meantime though

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Benpasko said:
Azahul said:
Benpasko said:
Azahul said:
You don't give someone a lifetime's supply of the product you're free sampling, she just straight up gives you a super power. Something can either be rare and experimental, or they can give it to strangers in the street, but it being both is stupid. Your explanation would make more sense in the original conception of the game, where vigors were going to be disposable, and that scene is probably just a lazy holdover.
The product is based on plasmids from Rapture. It is likely extremely addictive. The superpower is practically just a side effect, from a commercial standpoint. You sell them a taster, get them hooked on ADAM, and you are literally the only source in the entire universe. It's a license to print money.

We also have no idea whether that one bottle does last forever. Booker isn't in Columbia all that long. It's entirely possible that he would lose the powers after it passes through his system.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:
Efrit_ said:
Oh, bull. While there is always a plethora of games being released which ignore or create bad stories, there are more than enough which have good or even fantastic stories. Infinite is not one of them. Infinite is prentious, it plays out just like bioshock 1 did: babies first introduction. Where 1 introduced people to objectivism, infinite introduced them to the concept of infinite realities. Except, unlike 1, it didn't have completely solid gameplay or atmosphere to disguise how utterly dreadful its story truly was composed.
"Pretentious" is a complaint leveled at virtually every high-minded or high-concept narrative. I'm not saying it never applies, but I think it's a weak and largely unsupportable criticism. You can easily mirror it, dismissing the most grounded and gritty stories as simplistic or even idiotic. I simply don't believe in this "axis of quality" as worthy of analysis or debate.

Want to know games with truly great stories?
Spec ops: the line
So a game with even more repetitive and derivative gameplay than Infinite? SO:TL was admittedly a tremendous bit of subversion, but it's also one of the worst "great games" (as a game, mind you) that you'll ever play.

All silent hills, which put more thought into symbolism and horror than Levine likely did with Elizabeth and her god powers.
Disagree. SH1 was unique, SH2 was a monumental narrative accomplishment for the medium, and the rest have been fairly hit or miss.

Legacy of kain
No arguments there. Loved it.

Final fantasy 4, 5, 6, 12, and fours sequel the after years.
Etc
Vehemently disagree. FF games are crazy hit and miss, and even the best ones have their severely uneven bits. There's also the overriding issue of "a lot of people think JRPG stories are almost universally utter shit"... a camp I find myself agreeing with more and more as I grow older.

Infinite was, in all honesty, the most disappointing game I've played since the year 2000 came around.
The only reasons this could be true, in my opinion: 1) you were way, way too hyped for the game before you played it, or 2) you haven't played many games since 2000.

Also, you named a very small handful of games with "great stories". This kind of proves my point. In a medium where people struggle to list even 10-20 great narratives, I have no idea how something as polished and detailed as Infinite catches such insanely harsh criticism for a few bumps and plot holes.

I'd put Shadow of the Colossus, Grim Fandango, Torment, and the Portal games right up there as having truly great stories. The Bioshocks make my list, too. Probably because I think their issues (which definitely exist) are problems almost every other game story would love to have.
I've played many games, and yes, I was hyped for infinite. I expected something that would enthrall my attention, play superbly, and surpass 1 and 2 in quality. What I got was a messy narrative that had some interesting ideas, and impressed me with its mentioning and use of the infinite universes theory, but was completely erratic in its execution, required dlc to actually explain certain key points, and in the end, couldn't stand on its own two feet. Instead of embracing Columbia and the potential it had, they fell back to rapture in order to save face. I liked infinite, but so much potential was squandered that, in all honesty, it felt massively disappointing.

I'll agree with the final fantasies being hit or miss, some people like the jrpg stories and others don't. But the ones I listed are generally agreed upon to be of good quality, especially 6. As for silent hill, I'd recommend shattered memories and downpour for a story go. They improve and succeed in surpassing two, in my view. As for spec ops: while the gameplay was generic, it was polished and it worked. It never felt as cumbersome and archaic as infinites did. When I was frustrated in the game, I felt connected with walker and how he was overwhelmed by the dire situation he walked into. Lastly, good to hear you like legacy of kain, kudos on that one.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
CloudAtlas said:
Fox12 said:
But you're suggesting that in order for a story to be consistent, it has to sacrifice emotion, and that's simply not true. In fact, the opposite is true. Logical writing and consistency actually ADD to the emotion of a story. Just look at Berserk or Oedipus Rex as an example. Consistency is a minimal standard of quality among story tellers. If you can't even nail down the basic facets of writing, then maybe you shouldn't be working in the industry. I would also argue that if a creator was actually emotionally invested in his creation, then he would put his best effort into making it as good as possible. Plot holes are a sign of laziness or thoughtlessness on the part of the story teller. If a story teller really wants to write something with "dramatic and emotional impact" wouldn't it make sense for him to make the story as good as possible?
No, I am suggesting that it can be worth to sacrifice some logic in order to achieve other goals like emotional impact. If you quote me, please don't put words into my mouth (again).

Suppose you direct a movie, and you believe a certain scene would be emotionally/dramatically/thematically much more powerful if you change a few minor details even though that means you make some minor continuity errors. If you refuse to make these changes then just to satisfy the eternal nitpickers, the self-appointed plot hole police, your movie will be worse for it. And that's why probably no famous director is refusing to make such changes.
Or are you suggesting that all the Spielbergs and Cuarons, the Nolans and Jacksons, the Camerons and McQueens "fail to meet the minimum standards of quality", that they "can't even nail down the basic facets of writing" and thus "shouldn't be working in the industry"?

Edit: I don't want to be condescending, but if you think some anime series are the paragons of good storytelling... well... maybe you do have quite different preferences. The same goes for the person who cited Final Fantasy games as the ones with the best stories, but oh well.
When Francis Forde Coppola inserted a new scene into The Godfather, and he realized it created a continuity error, do you know what he did? He went back and changed earlier scenes in order to make sure everything made sense. You're saying that logic is a worthy trade off for a scene with a strong emotional impact. I'm saying that there shouldn't be a trade off at all, that the creator should go back and make sure it all fits. If he won't do that, then I consider that a valid criticism. I also don't know what your list of directors has to do with anything. Most of them don't make films with lots of plot holes and errors. You'll have to be more specific. Incidentally, the ones that do have lots of errors are typically their least critically successful films.

I didn't say "some anime series" is a paragon of good storytelling. I said Berserk is a paragon of good story telling, because it is. All the character arcs are fully realized, and eventually converge to drive the plot. Every major event is foreshadowed and led up to, and yet still delivers major emotional impacts. The story uses symbolism to reinforce its themes. It's philosophical without being preachy. It's subtle. Every event in the story has consequence, there is little to no filler, especially in the Golden Age Arc. That's why I listed it next to Oedipus Rex, because they share theme and story structure. In fact, Berserk could be seen as a medieval Oedipus Rex written by a Japanese guy. Incidentally, I don't judge a story by its medium, I judge it by its own merits. Do you seriously believe that Spirited Away and UP are bad stories just because they are animated? Turn your nose up if you want, but you're missing out.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Alright, now to wrap up the things I didn't get around to addressing in the last post.
sumanoskae said:
A real life example is the slave trade; it was a publicly awful practice that almost no sane person thought well of, but it thrived because people got invested in it's benefits and justified their addiction to it by doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves of their own rightness.

The movie 12 Years a Slave does a good job in depicting the ways in which normal people, not so different from you or I, can become complaisant with or sometimes even participate in terrible things.

This is how Columbia SHOULD feel, it should be a well rounded enough world that even if you don't know the history, you can understand why people would act like this; the oppression of Columbia should not be comfortably distant from the player, it should be uncomfortably close.
Isn't Fink an example of this? He plays up the fears of racism because it gives him an excuse to continue treating the minorities who work for him like crap.
sumanoskae said:
I have a few issues with this concept; one of which is that it simply isn't true. People are constantly complaining about how their in game choices don't matter, but they approach this idea with insane expectations.

Take Mass Effect; it apparently isn't enough for some people that their choices can condemn 3 entire species to extinction, or determine who lives and who dies; people were still upset that they're choices didn't have more impact.
Some games have more variables than others, but no matter what you do, you will play through Mass Effect 3 fighting down most of the same corridors, against the same bosses, and the narrative will remain the same. Certain aspects will change, and those will be the variables, but the game's main structure is constant.

Now, you can disagree with Bioshock Infinite's view on decision making in games. That's fine. Personally, I don't view Bioshock Infinite as a flat out criticism of this kind of game design, just a commentary of the situation. Ultimately, the narrative stays the same, and this is even more true for games outside the RPG genre. I would suspect, based on its gameplay and so on, that Infinite is rather more targeted at more linear games than RPGs anyway.

sumanoskae said:
I have a fairly complex theory regarding this, but I'll try to summarize quickly; developers are touting the virtues of choice and consequence more and more in RPGs, sometimes even acting as though this feature alone will make or break the gaming experience. Now, many people have trouble putting words to thoughts, of taking an abstract emotional reaction and breaking it down into a rational sequence of events, so they borrow from other sources to find the words. And these people often place the blame for being unsatisfied with a gaming experience overall on what much of the industry considers to be the holy grail of game design; choice and consequence.

People seem to have forgotten that simply because a game is different every time you play it, it doesn't mean that it's any good any of those times. The purpose of choice and consequence is to make the game world feel like a real place that operates not based on the whims of designers but on a system of logic not so different from our own, to allow you to interact with it and form a sense of self within it. Creating replay value pales in comparison to making you play the game as if you were actually there. If an action results in a consequence in a game, it should be because taking such an action would likely result in that consequence were the game world real, and sometimes the shit we do just doesn't matter, not every consequence has to be earth shattering to be meaningful.

To summarize how this relates to Infinite, it's idea that nothing you do in a game matters only holds water if you approach the video games with the same arbitrary desire for endless choice and consequence that the industry does, if you want every choice you make in a game to affect every aspect of it, even though such a game would probably be severely unfocused and not very good.
I disagree with this. I don't think Infinite is actually advocating endless freedom in games. Like I said, it's commentary, not criticism. You can't disregard commentary by saying "if we did it any other way the game would be meaningless". That's a valid point in favour of the current state of gaming, sure, but it doesn't mean that Infinite's own point that choices in games never change the pre-destined narrative isn't equally as valid.

It's not a huge issue for me. I can appreciate Infinite's argument that the choices you make in a video game basically don't matter without actually hating video game choices for it. It's an interesting observation and the game tells it in a novel way.

sumanoskae said:
Further more, implying that what you do in a game is meaningless because someone else played it differently is a contradiction; the world of the game will only acknowledge the set of decisions you've made in this particular pocket dimension, and the characters will not be affected by the others.
Not exactly. What you do in a game is meaningless because despite others playing it differently, you all go through virtually an identical narrative. Me using a machine gun while my brother uses a sniper rifle doesn't mean that the ending of a Call of Duty game will play out differently. In fact, it will be identical. From a narrative perspective, the gameplay decisions are entirely without meaning.

On a similar note, no matter what choices I made in Dragon Age, I will always end up killing the Archdaemon. Similar kind of deal, although there are more things afterwards that are a bit variable.
sumanoskae said:
If you say that what you do here doesn't matter because another version of you is doing something else, then you must also acknowledge that what you are doing has some sort of meaning, otherwise what that other you is doing wouldn't matter either. There are infinite realities in which Comstock is being a prick, but there are also infinite realities in which he spearheads the civil rights movement instead.
The game is not critiquing the real Many Worlds theory. That works very differently from the way their version of the theory works in Bioshock Infinite. In Bioshock Infinite, there are no worlds where Comstock spearheads a civil rights movement. None. That's a constant that never changes. Comstock is always, inevitably, going to do all the awful things he is shown doing in the game.

This isn't because that's how Bioshock Infinite understands the real Many Worlds theory. Bioshock Infinite doesn't care about the Many Worlds theory at all, no more than the first Bioshock cares about how DNA really works. Bioshock is using an altered version of Many Worlds as a metaphor for video games, and in the context of that example there is no playthrough of Bioshock Infinite carried out by anyone anywhere in the world where Comstock is anything other than what he is presented as in the game.

To get a truly complete victory over a villain like Comstock, the game seems to suggest, you basically need to go back to the game's development and kill it before it gets past the conceptual stage. Which I found a pretty entertaining concept.

sumanoskae said:
If one cancels the other out, then the other must do the same; if the fact that Comstock will always exist is supposed to bother us, then we should be equally glad that there are places in which he doesn't, to focus only on the negative is to be pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.
The ending makes sure that the only places that exist are the ones where Comstock doesn't. I wouldn't call that a pessimistic attitude, it seems positively empowering.

sumanoskae said:
As for the metaphorical violence stuff; everyone you kill on the way to Comstock is either totally deserving of death or trying to kill you. The fact that they all have similar character models only resembles racism in a superficial way. The reason that Booker kills people and the reason that, say, the KKK killed people have nothing in common.
Nevertheless, the people being killed are, as you say below, people. Booker doesn't show any remorse during the game for the killing he does. He is, hilariously, desensitised to violence. In the game, based on how Elizabeth and Fink react to him, that actually makes him come off as a bit of a psychopath. It's not really the point of the game (Spec-Ops: The Line went far more into this kind of point), but it is something that the game seems to acknowledge as part of its meta-commentary.
sumanoskae said:
Further more, to have Booker or anyone else acknowledge this fact makes no sense; in the world of the game, these are all different people, so this has nothing to do with the story of the game itself being any good, in the game the violence is very cut in dry.

The fact that both Booker and Comstock have killed people who sort of look alike means nothing besides that Booker and Comstock have both killed people who sort of look alike; the two still have nothing in common. This is sort of the problem with allegory; simply referencing something doesn't mean you're commenting on it.
You honestly don't feel that the ability of both characters to easily justify violence doesn't draw some similarities between them? I know that in video games we kind of expect our protagonists to not have a big deal about killing the enemies, because that's often the point of the game, but Infinite does seem to be drawing the comparison between the two to address the possibility that this kind of behaviour is not remotely normal. Or healthy. Or moral.

sumanoskae said:
Once again I will play the example game; Demon's Souls conditions the player to behave in certain ways in order to survive; get souls, kill bosses, repeat. Not doing these things results in either you never getting anywhere in the game or dying over and over again, you have to adopt them in order to survive.

Then, you come across Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea; neither of these people have done anything deserving of death, and they do not want to fight you, but you can't progress until you kill them. They die because they refused to follow the rules of survival in the world of the game.

You may notice that this behavior has a lot in common with the way lots of real world situations play out, and it's not because Demon's Souls is trying to comment on them specifically, it's because Demon's Souls is thoughtfully designed enough that its story and setting resemble human nature as it is in real life.

We are not simply told by an arbitrary comparison that we and the soul starved monsters we kill are alike, we go through the process of becoming one and come to intimately understand their motivations and psychology.

THIS is how you use a mechanic as a metaphor; your behavior does not simply vaguely resemble that of your enemy, you BECOME your enemy in every way that matters; everything you found despicable and perverse about the demons now applies to you as well, and now you understand why people behave in horrific ways; because they are only as good as the world allows them to be. The game does not simply change the character, it changes the player.
The Bioshock Infinite equivalent to this is the arbitrary choices it asks you to make. Throw a ball at the prisoners or their captor. Pick the free bird or the empty cage. Kill Slate, or leave him to a fate as bad as death. You go in expecting consequences, and the game subverts that expectation.

sumanoskae said:
No argument here, though I would say that Infinite is not pretentious because it's aloof, I would say that it's pretentious because it's not as smart as it thinks it is.
"Not as smart as it thinks it is" is a pretty mean-spirited accusation, I tend to feel. It implies that the subject has somehow declared itself as being superior, which is a nasty thing to say when Infinite has never said it thought it was superior in any way.

Frankly, I think Infinite is an intelligent game. It's not the most intelligent game, but it's certainly got a lot more thought put into it than the majority of games. I make no judgement on how intelligent Infinite considers itself to be, however, because I have no way of knowing that.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Fox12 said:
I also don't know what your list of directors has to do with anything. Most of them don't make films with lots of plot holes and errors. You'll have to be more specific. Incidentally, the ones that do have lots of errors are typically their least critically successful films.
Spielberg especially is known for being sort of a "movie magician", using all sorts of tricks to deliver a good experience to viewers while distracting them from all the unimportant details that, scene to scene, often don't add up.

And you know, there's a lot more in even the best movies that doesn't make perfectly logical sense than you seem to believe. There's a reason why a YouTube Channel like Movie Sins can exist - if you pay super close attention (and destroy your experience in the process, but hey, that's up to you) you can always find many little details that don't quite fit even in the best movies.
The thing is though... they just don't really matter.

Seriously, you should read the article I linked you before. Film Crit Hulk is not some obscure guy, he is a pretty well known new wave critic.