BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea Returns to Rapture

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Calling it right now, this DLC will end with Booker being turned into the Songbird, and Comstock taking him to Columbia to protect "his" Elizabeth.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
OK this isn't what I was expecting but, damn, I've wanted to see pre-collapse Rapture ever since the first Bioshock game. Colour me excited about this one. The trailer looks pretty damn stylish too.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I didn't even like Infinite that much back when I rented it but I'm actually now tempted to buy it, just because this DLC looks so amazing.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
1337mokro said:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!
How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!
What do you mean? Did you think I was being sarcastic?

No it's wonderful that they basically ignore there last game like it never happened and are just catering to what will sell. At least now they can drop the pretension of being more than just another studio pumping out games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
An Ceannaire said:
Zeckt said:
I wonder if it will make the novel canon.
Novel?
Yeah, there is a novel called BioShock Rapture that was written a while back. The person who wrote it talked with the team at Irrational before adding some points in to make it true to the BioShock lore. It tells of Andrew Ryan's early life and goes up to the Civil War that broke out in Rapture. It focuses on some of the minor characters as well. It's a really good book and if you like BioShock then you'll love the novel.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
And yet it will be nothing except military style gameplay with big words thrown in the dialogue.

Good thing I traded in my copy of this.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
1337mokro said:
Steven Bogos said:
1337mokro said:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!
How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

No it's wonderful that they basically ignore there last game like it never happened and are just catering to what will sell. At least now they can drop the pretension of being more than just another studio pumping out games.
They didn't. I won't give out any spoilers, but the world of Rapture and Columbia are related. People have been clamoring for a peek on what Rapture looked like before it went to hell, and Infinite gave the developers the avenue for it. The DLC is entirely within the lore of the Bioshock universe. Think of it has a best of both worlds; Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
NemotheElvenPanda said:
1337mokro said:
Steven Bogos said:
1337mokro said:

They didn't. I won't give out any spoilers, but the world of Rapture and Columbia are related. People have been clamoring for a peek on what Rapture looked like before it went to hell, and Infinite gave the developers the avenue for it. The DLC is entirely within the lore of the Bioshock universe. Think of it has a best of both worlds; Bioshock's best characters in Bioshock's best setting.
Dude I played the game. Why would I be commenting about DLC for a game I didn't play in the first place? Plot contrivances and shoddy science aside that for me was really a low point in the game (which I didn't like in the first place) where they basically went "See we really are a Bioshock game! Now go on the internet and write about the OMG moment where you saw something you liked from the past".

I wouldn't call them the best characters. They are more archetypes with not really characteristics as quirks and traits that are overemphasized. Bioshock had far more interesting persona's in it. What would be far more interesting is if a rift opened to Columbia and splicers started to invade. There were glimpses of characters but these glimpses round up to about 10 minutes of the entire game.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Now THAT is how you do DLC for a story you thought was pretty tied up.

I actually like the idea of Booker and Elizabeth being perpetual characters in different universes... it's sort of got a Link & Zelda vibe to it. Re-imagining of characters in different scenarios, the ultimate exploration of the theme of "what if?".

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010

...excuse me, I need to go clean my keyboard now. And my desk. And my monitor. And my chair. And... and you know what? I think I'm just gonna finish this post up on another computer.

Ah, that's better. Holy hell, my hype-o-meter just exploded. We're going back to Rapture? A pre-war Rapture? A film-noir-style Rapture?

Does this mean... we get to hear more of Andrew Ryan's sweet, sweet voice? My god... I don't even think I can handle this right now.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i'm unofficially naming this "FULL CIRCLE BABY"

they better not screw this up lol

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Really surprised at the amount if hate going on in this thread. This is Ken fucking Levine here, a noir detective Booker and femme fatale Elizabeth? More emphasis on exploration and mystery? A return to Rapture with all new art assets and possibly some new plasmids? I'm excited for that. I'm really excited for that. That bit at the end clinched it for me, seeing Booker light Elizabeth's cigarette like that made me sure that the team at irrational nailed the atmosphere and style they were clearly going for.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
I was expecting them to do a DLC based on alternate Columbia... but this actually sounds interesting... I'll have to look forward to this...
If you think about it a certain way, Rapture IS an alternate Columbia.

Or is Columbia an alternate Rapture? (stop it brain, we did this once before.)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Azure23 said:
I agree with what you said almost 100%, but you need to edit out that last part ASAP. Calling people trolls is frowned upon here. Also I wouldn't call what he said "trolling". Arrogant and jaded yes, trolling no.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
roushutsu said:
So if this is taking place before the fall, can we expect Booker and Elizabeth to run into Subject Delta and Eleanor at some point? That would be pretty freaky, what with the 2 "lambs" and all.
I think that would be a VERY kick-ass cameo. Of course at this point Eleanor would still be a Little Sister so you wouldn't really be able to recognize her from the other Little Sisters, but maybe you'll pass through a lab or something where the prototype Delta is being tested.

Personally I never understood why people hated on BS2 so much, I thought it was a really enjoyable game. And no matter how much people complain about it, the fact remains that Infinite's story is almost exactly the same as BS 2's and given the ending to Infinite I'm almost positive that it's completely intentional.

Edit:
Now what would REALLY kick ass is if Elizabeth can "summon" a Big Daddy or two in future DLC taking place back in Columbia. I was honestly pretty surprised they never threw us that particular bone just once - like a hidden Tear on the final Airship battle that you could open up to bust out a Bouncer - in the main story itself.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Azure23 said:
RaikuFA said:
And yet it will be nothing except military style gameplay with big words thrown in the dialogue.

Good thing I traded in my copy of this.
Good thing our troops have those standard issue flesh eating raven cannons, and they're packing those new M-82 magic water
Tentacles. Military style gameplay? Troll much bro?
I don't know about you buddy, but my hands are always on fire.

Always.

(Always)

OT:
Heeeey, an excuse to play Bioshock again! Woo!

Looks good. Older Elizabeth looks pretty badass.
CAPTCHA: propane accessories

yeah? Your hands also always on fire?

See what I mean, it's common.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I screamed like a little school girl when I saw this trailer... And I'm not ashamed of it. Can't wait and cannot contain excitement. Excitement overloading. Excitement reached critical levels. *boom*

Pockydon

Feb 26, 2012
This is interesting...but also kinda odd. We really don't need to see Rapture in it's prime, and I don't know if I even want to. I think it's so more interesting imagining it than it will be to see it. I dunno, I guess I'll just have to wait until it comes out. But right now I'm skeptical. I'm sure they won't screw it up, Infinite was amazing, but I still don't know if this was the right way to go.

Then again, I don't particularly want a DLC to explore more of Columbia, as I feel like that story's already been told to the fullest.