BioShock Remastered Map Opening Crash

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Hello. I only recently started playing the Remastered version of the 1st game in the series on Steam.

It seems to especially like crashing when I open the map a lot which I am prone to. I have tried some common fixes I saw on pcgamingwiki, on Reddit, and in the Steam forums but nothing seems to work. For reference, the type of crash I get is a freeze then a typical Windows window popping up letting me know "BioShockHD.exe has stopped working", sometimes a different crash window popping up, and more often than the other two scenarios no window popping up at all forcing me to engage a force quit. I get a semi-decent amount of playtime in each time before it decides to crash like this.
EDIT: It just crashed on a loading screen. I guess it doesn't like that I load a ton either.

This is the laptop I play it on (Sorry if I provided too much detail. I normally wouldn't list all this but reading what causes some of the crashes made me decide to go overboard just in case):
[ul]HP OMEN Model 7265NGW, Model 17-w210nr
Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz (4 cores)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4.0 GB Dedicated/Total Memory w/ Pixel and Vertex Shader Versions 5.1), Driver Version - 23.21.13.8871
Intel HD Graphics 630 (128 MB Dedicated Memory and 4.0 GB Total Memory w/ Pixel and Vertex Shader Versions 5.0), Driver Version - 22.20.16.4749
BIOS Insyde F.38
8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 (build 16299) 64-bit - 10.0.16299
Intel(R) Display Audio Sound Device w/ Driver 10.24.0.1
Realtek High Definition Audio Sound Device w/ Driver 6.0.1.8198
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) Sound Device w/ Driver 4.2.2.0 [/ul]

NiGHTSJOD

Sep 27, 2010
Have a look in the Windows event logs and see what's what. As it happens, I have been playing it recently too and do get a bit of a pause when I press Back (Map screen) on the controller. I might have stopped playing due to a bug - Cant seem to get back to Upper Wharf

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
As NiGHTSJOD says, look at the Windows log. My first reaction is that you might be having an issue with the game using your built-in GPU (the Intel HD graphics) instead of your GTX, which could potentially cause memory issues when loading or changing screens. If so, try disabling it to see if anything changes.

hattiegilbert445

Jan 15, 2018
i g̲e̲t̲ ̲p̲a̲i̲d̲ ̲o̲v̲e̲r̲ ̲$90 ̲p̲e̲r̲ ̲h̲o̲u̲r̲ ̲w̲o̲r̲k̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲f̲r̲o̲m̲ ̲h̲o̲m̲e̲ ̲w̲i̲t̲h̲ ̲2 ̲k̲i̲d̲s̲ ̲a̲t̲ ̲h̲o̲m̲e̲. ̲i̲ ̲n̲e̲v̲e̲r̲ ̲t̲h̲o̲u̲g̲h̲t̲ ̲i̲'d̲ ̲b̲e̲ ̲a̲b̲l̲e̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲d̲o̲ ̲i̲t̲ ̲b̲u̲t̲ ̲m̲y̲ ̲b̲e̲s̲t̲ ̲f̲r̲i̲e̲n̲d̲ ̲e̲a̲r̲n̲s̲ ̲o̲v̲e̲r̲ ̲10k̲ ̲a̲ ̲m̲o̲n̲t̲h̲ ̲d̲o̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲s̲h̲e̲ ̲c̲o̲n̲v̲i̲n̲c̲e̲d̲ ̲m̲e̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲t̲r̲y̲. ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲p̲o̲t̲e̲n̲t̲i̲a̲l̲ ̲w̲i̲t̲h̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲ ̲i̲s̲ ̲e̲n̲d̲l̲e̲s̲s̲. ̲h̲e̲r̲e̲s̲ ̲w̲h̲a̲t̲ ̲i̲'v̲e̲ ̲b̲e̲e̲n̲ ̲d̲o̲i̲n̲g̲,,
------------------- http://www.Help80.Com