Bioshock

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
OK, I admit this game has been user-reviewed to Mordor and back but I want to have a crack at it.

Info
Name - Bioshock
Format - Xbox 360
Developer - 2k Boston and 2k Austrailia

Bioshock is the new game from the team that changed FPS expectations forever with the System Shock games. As such there is massive expectation behind the game, fans of System Shock won't be disappointed, but this isn't a game all players will enjoy.

First of all I'll talk about the story. In the 1940s a man named Andrew Ryan decided to create a world free from the constraints of morality. A world where artists would not fear censorship and doctors and scientists could work without fear of interference on moral grounds. The place was named Rapture, a city where freedom could lead to proper progress while the world above continued to live oblivious of the world below the sea. With no moral worried it wasn't long before genetic engineering gave rise to devices known as Plasmids. These tonics would change the user's DNA to give them special powers, but something went horribly wrong and Rapture was turned from a utopia into a wasteland.

You join the story 20 years after the city's creation in 1960. A plane crash leaves you stranded in the ocean and you head to a nearby lighthouse, this is the entrance to Rapture. Using a submersible lift known as a bathsphere you descend into the world below, a short film plays with Ryan introducing himself and describing Rapture. The world seems perfect from what you can see out of the sphere window, a truly stunning cityscape that shows off the graphical prowess of the host machine.

That's when things start to go wrong for you, when the bathsphere lands the first thing you see is a strange creature ripping a defenceless human to shreds. Its not long before the creature comes after you, as it attempts to tear through the roof of the sphere you're contacted by a man named Atlas who opens the sphere and starts to guide you through the halls of Rapture.

As an opening, its one of the best I've seen. The problem with Bioshock is its story, its just too good and ends up highlighting the games major flaws. Firstly its horribly linear, you're always told where to go and never really need your map screen. Exploration can find extra items such as ammo and health but also small tape recorders that act as diaries, these provide extra details that flesh out the plot and give you more idea of what happened down here. However there's no major game changing reward for exploring, it makes life a bit easier but gives no real incentive. This is unless you're chasing the ever elusive and life-destroying 1000 gamerpoints, which in Bioshock are going to give some people nightmares.

Secondly the game is rather un-original. The normal weapons you get are fairly standard stuff like a pistol, shotgun and grenade launcher, the wrench you're given as a first weapon might as well be the Half-Life crowbar. Not even the plasmid system is original, doing damage using your body has been around for years and was perfected in the Free Radical game Second Sight. Then there's the research camera which is ripped straight from Dead Rising.

Finally its repetetive. The enemies all follow certain movement patterns and there are only 6 different types of basic enemy including the now famous Big Daddy's. The Daddy's are the hardest enemies you'll find in the game, but dying has no penalty, enemies will stay dead and damage done to Big Daddy's will remain. This makes the game incredibly easy.

Bioshock's story is incredible to be sure and it includes some truly inspired set pieces, however what it tacks onto is a fairly standard FPS with only a few ideas of its own. If you want a decent FPS with a great story then its the game for you, however if you want a challenge with your story then stay away.

Rent It

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
It's a good review, but a tad harsh. Perhaps, though, since I'm a "console tard" I didn't find the enemies neccessarily predictable or whatnot.

You hit the game's biggest issues though, spot-on. I wouldn't say the game is neccessary a rent-only game, but it's certainly pretty shallow and not at all hard unless you try to do the new "Brass Balls" achievement--which is, by the way, completing the game on Hard Mode without using Vita Chambers, the automatic revival machines. That actually makes you have to think and react and plan strategies.

The biggest problem with the game was that they give you all this cool stuff you can do, but no real incentive to do it--Plasmids are mostly a suggestion that become handy only in extremely staged situations or when you run out of bullets.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
RentCavalier said:
The biggest problem with the game was that they give you all this cool stuff you can do, but no real incentive to do it--Plasmids are mostly a suggestion that become handy only in extremely staged situations or when you run out of bullets.
A valid point, yet I find I'm hearing this type of complaint more and more with games these days. In most cases, its in games where "Magic" is a secondary to weapons, in that weapons are straight forward and in almost all cases outclass the magic. My problem with people saying this is that the people who say the Secondary weapons are near useless are the same people who cry for more variety in weapon selection and tactics if the game LACKS the secondary weapons.

Even if they aren't the same people, if a game lacks an ever growing amount of choice in weapon selection players call it boring. Now, apparently, if gamers are given the selection in a way that doesn't immediately gratify as shooting someone does, the extra selection is pointless and unnecessary. Even if every single plasmid was a gun in some form, in addition to the ones available, many of those guns would be entirely unnecessary next to other guns. This being the case, I'd rather have interesting, tactical magic that's fun to use, rather than generic, boring guns that I use once and never again.

ChrisP.Lettuce

Jan 3, 2008
^ Winnar. People cry for variety but if one method is 0.00001% Faster, or more efficient, they will use it repeatedly. Forever and ever, and for some reason especially if it is less fun.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
ChrisP.Lettuce said:
^ Winnar. People cry for variety but if one method is 0.00001% Faster, or more efficient, they will use it repeatedly. Forever and ever, and for some reason especially if it is less fun.
It's a sad state of affairs, thats for sure.

RAVENBOI22

Dec 30, 2007
just on the HL point, system shock came first with the wrench in 1994 and half life only came in 1998.so one could say that HL stole from SS

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I think that there is some merit to your arguments, then again when you review something that has been as heavily covered and reviewed as Bioshock, you didn't really offer anything that hasn't been presented or argued previously.

I think that if one takes the entire Bioshock experience, the sum of its parts, the gameplay, the story, the graphics, the sound, the sheer immersiveness, I think the game merits a buy and likely more than one play through.