BioWare Acknowledges Mass Effect 3 Face Import Bug

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Irony said:
You can import your characters fine. I haven't run into any problems with importation so far. I also highly recommend importing a Shep from a previous game if you can. Your ME3 experience will certainly be more fulfilling.

The only problem with importation is when you choose what your Shepard's face looks like. You still get the option for the default face as well as customizing it, but when you go to accept the imported face, it's just one of the defaults (or at least it was for me).
Wait... are you saying that the import feature just looks like it can't import a custom from the previous games?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
soren7550 said:
Proverbial Jon said:
soren7550 said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that part of this is due to the fact that the character creator is very different from ME1 & 2. Observe:
Please accept my condolences for the passing of your Shepard :(

I am horrified to learn that my Shepard looked very similar to yours, she had the same hair style and colour. She has done for the past two games. WHY NOW would she decided to change it? Moreover, why did Bioware see fit to REMOVE some styles, could the game disc seriously not fit a few additions?

My Shepard had a rather subtle roman nose and an ever so slightly pouty top lip, (it sounds hideous but it actually made her quite attractive in an unusual way...) and I'm really hoping they didn't nerf those features. She can probably pull off another hair style but she won't be the same without that nose!
Let us raise our glasses to the fallen Shepards of the Mass Effect 3 Import Massacre. Will will never forget!
*Clinks glasses together in respect.*

...wait a minute, rewind that a second.

soren7550 said:
There's only one shade of brown hair (had to make room for purple I suppose), two shades of blue (red must take up a lot of game space), and her hair style simply no longer exists (because the public was clamoring for five bun styles that all pretty much look the same I guess, so they had to clear out some of the old styles).
You said that they removed RED as a hair colour? Why would they do this when the official art work for Female Shepards depicts her with RED hair, as chosen by Mass Effect fans no less:

Ahhh Bioware, why you make my brain bleed...?

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
soren7550 said:
Let us raise our glasses to the fallen Shepards of the Mass Effect 3 Import Massacre. Will will never forget!
Cheers . Gah i wanna play this game but i also wanna play with the character i created so long ago.

Now the question is do i play with the default face (not that bad looking) or wait until they can fix the problem .... so not funny :/

Murasaki Sensei

Mar 8, 2012
This issue has EA's finger's all over it. This was NO ACCIDENT people.
Why do I say that? It's about money. And the multiplayer is going to drive revenue.
1. EA Charges for online connectivity even if you're buying the game used.
No pay, no getting online features.
2. In the multiplayer, to get better items, you can either use in game credits or MICROSOFT POINTS!
They know people have an emotional attachment to their created Shepards. There is NO WAY they would bollix that up except on purpose.
They also know that people would wait and perhaps play the multiplayer while they wait for the "patch". And get hooked on the multiplayer experience because to be fair, it IS a lot of fun. But that's the catch.

They want you to spend Microsoft Points on stuff in the multiplayer.

#EAisTooGreedy

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
soren7550 said:
Proverbial Jon said:
soren7550 said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that part of this is due to the fact that the character creator is very different from ME1 & 2. Observe:
Please accept my condolences for the passing of your Shepard :(

I am horrified to learn that my Shepard looked very similar to yours, she had the same hair style and colour. She has done for the past two games. WHY NOW would she decided to change it? Moreover, why did Bioware see fit to REMOVE some styles, could the game disc seriously not fit a few additions?

My Shepard had a rather subtle roman nose and an ever so slightly pouty top lip, (it sounds hideous but it actually made her quite attractive in an unusual way...) and I'm really hoping they didn't nerf those features. She can probably pull off another hair style but she won't be the same without that nose!
*Clinks glasses together in respect.*

...wait a minute, rewind that a second.

soren7550 said:
There's only one shade of brown hair (had to make room for purple I suppose), two shades of blue (red must take up a lot of game space), and her hair style simply no longer exists (because the public was clamoring for five bun styles that all pretty much look the same I guess, so they had to clear out some of the old styles).
You said that they removed RED as a hair colour? Why would they do this when the official art work for Female Shepards depicts her with RED hair, as chosen by Mass Effect fans no less:

Ahhh Bioware, why you make my brain bleed...?
No, I meant that they added red as an eye color, not that they removed red as a hair color. Sorry for the confusion! *drinks*

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Murasaki Sensei said:
Why do I say that? It's about money. And the multiplayer is going to drive revenue.
2. In the multiplayer, to get better items, you can either use in game credits or MICROSOFT POINTS!
They know people have an emotional attachment to their created Shepards. There is NO WAY they would bollix that up except on purpose.
They also know that people would wait and perhaps play the multiplayer while they wait for the "patch". And get hooked on the multiplayer experience because to be fair, it IS a lot of fun. But that's the catch.

#EAisTooGreedy
yeah, thats no secret. ?A is always thinking of money. why you think they take over other companies who at least make good games, so that ?A doesnt have to make them. they just know how to make the same game over and over again.
and since bioware is owned by ?A, it might take some time before a patch will come out. but i sure hope it will be soon.

Cyrromatic

Mar 9, 2012
It's a bit like, say, you having watched the two first films in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, only to have Frodo, out of nowhere, be portrayed by Edward Norton in the third installment. You would quickly achieve quite a headache from frowning every time his face showed up on the screen.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
Irony said:
White_Lama said:
So, quick question.

Can I import a character from the previous games at all? Or does it just pop up some error? Does the face change to the default face or does it get all freaky like the picture in the article?

I'd like to know before I proceed with my Shepard (even tough I kinda always wanted to change his appearance from the first time I played on him, but whatever).
You can import your characters fine. I haven't run into any problems with importation so far. I also highly recommend importing a Shep from a previous game if you can. Your ME3 experience will certainly be more fulfilling.

The only problem with importation is when you choose what your Shepard's face looks like. You still get the option for the default face as well as customizing it, but when you go to accept the imported face, it's just one of the defaults (or at least it was for me).
So just to make sure, the bug is only with importing the face, not the actual game data?

Nowheremaan

Apr 9, 2010
Murasaki Sensei said:

#EAisTooGreedy
I agree, EA probably refused to push back release unless any bugs found affected gameplay. I'm a bit tired of the patch it later mindset. I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't take kindly to me turning half done projects with a "I'll finish the rest later"....although work would be less stressful.

honeybunch

Nov 27, 2007
Guys, for anyone who's affected by this, I recommend you try to spread the word as much as you can. As others in this thread have posted, this is not just a problem with the game not recognizing the old face code, but is caused by the wholesale removal of essential facial feature options, as well as an overall change to facial geometry/proportions. To get a true fix for those underlying issues, we need significant community support.

MrXBob over on the Bioware forums has started the site www.FixMassEffect3.com, with the intention to get Bioware to more fully acknowledge and resolve this issue. Apparently he's had luck with this method before, and got EA to fix a major bug in the Sims 3 for Xbox 360 that they had been ignoring for months. Admittedly, the situation here may not be that bad, but the more pressure we can get on them, and the faster we can apply it, the faster and more thoroughly this problem is going to get fixed.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Whew, I was worried I got a defective disc or something. My male Shepard was farely pale in color, black flat top hair, and he had unique blueish purple eyes that stayed the same in ME1 and 2. After uploading my save data... I got someone that looked like a very tan latino person with a mustache and goatee, brown eyes, short messy hair, and big pouty lips.

I was able to easily refix to what I had(for the most part) but still it was quite jarring. To see that this is no error on my part but the fault of Bioware kinda ticks me off, Im always defending Bioware and touting their triumphs, I consider what they make "must buy" games(SWTOR being the exception). For them to turn around and screw up like this...for shame...they should really apologize for this deeply if they dont want their fanbase to turn on them.

The next big expansion(missions not just a piece of armor or weapon) for ME3 being free would be a nice "Im sorry we screwed up, please continue to enjoy Bioware products in the future" gift. ;) ;)

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Does this mean my loaded ME1/2 Shepherd will be stuck with the default face or will I be given a chance to customise his appearence?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
This annoys me a little bit as I actually liked the way my sheppard looked in 1 and 2

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
The thing is, the face codes are completely different from ME2 to ME3. Whats the point in having a face code system if you're going to change all of the settings like that. I had to take photos and painstakingly recreate my FemShep. Granted, she's put on a bit of weight on her face, and shes had a nosejob, but what do you expect when she's had six months off with nothing to do?