Bioware announces Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Hot off the press from http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/email/alert/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsLang=en&newsId=20120917005535 :

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), today announced Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, the next chapter in the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) franchise, is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. Coming in late 2013, Dragon Age 3: Inquisition combines the storytelling legacy BioWare is known for, with deep RPG gameplay, all on a brand new RPG game engine underpinned by EA?s critically-acclaimed Frostbite 2 technology.

"At the same time, we know we need new technology to truly make this vision become fully realized. And we?ve been working with DICE to make Frostbite 2 the foundation for the engine that is going to power Dragon Age 3."

"The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition for almost two years now," said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. "We?ve been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans. They haven?t held back, so we?re not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they?re asking for ? a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral."

Added Flynn, "At the same time, we know we need new technology to truly make this vision become fully realized. And we?ve been working with DICE to make Frostbite 2 the foundation for the engine that is going to power Dragon Age 3."

The Dragon Age franchise has received over 80 awards from critics around the world, and has sold over 8 million copies to date. Created by BioWare, the property has spawned many novels, an animated film, comic books, collectibles and more since Dragon Age: Origins launched in 2009.

For more information about Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, including updates from the development team and a letter to the fans from Executive Producer Mark Darrah, please visit the game?s official web site at http://dragonage.com. Dragon Age fans can also receive updates on Twitter® at http://twitter.com/dragonage, or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/dragonage.
Thoughts?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Facebook just told me about this as well. I am getting the impression that Bioware is a child at prayer for this one. They REEEEAAAAALLLY are trying not to fuck this up. Maybe it will actually be good!

Here is some more recent reading:

http://dragonage.com/inquisition/

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Cool. Could be good. As much as people ***** about BioWare they do consider player feedback a lot.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Really looking forward to this one, since I'm one of the 3 people in the world who thought Dragon Age 2 was pretty good (bless me and my low standards). I guess for a lot of people this will confirm whether they continue to buy Bioware products or not... no pressure then!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh, they clearly know that after DA2, not to mention the ME3 endings, folks are watching them like eagles

Or rather, like vultures.

Oh hey, Frostbite 2 engine with a Bioware game. That's interesting.

Call me a blind fanboy, but I'm actually intrigued.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
didnt they say this same stuff about DA2?

"With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they're asking for - a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral."
Sounds like the same PR propaganda they pulled with DA2.

After Mass Effect 3, and DA2, I'm not exactly.... convinced.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oooh, Frostbite 2 with Dragon Age should be good. Looking forward to this after enjoying both previous Dragon Ages

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
didnt they say this same stuff about DA2?

"With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they're asking for - a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral."

Same here, I really hope it won't suck.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The only thing that stands out is the frostbite 2 engine. Now if only they could fix the damn smugness that permeated DA2.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again: I give the DA team a vote of confidence on this one. Unlike the ME team, which (to this day) has been entirely incapable of admitting any mistakes were made in ME3, the DA team came out and admitted they screwed up.

I may not exactly agree with their public comments since then (trying to make it more like Skyrim, putting concepts back in that have been RPG staples since the early 90's), but at least they're willing to own up to their mistakes. For that (and as someone who bought DA:O and 2), I will give them my cautious attention.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
inb4 it's announced that 'this' Dragon age will have a multiplayer aspect that is required to progress in the main quest.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Ooh, interesting. I think!

It seems like the 3rd game, judging by the name, will connect more to the 2nd title rather then the 1st. What I am -really- curious about is how the hell they will connect the main characters from those two previous titles into nr.3. I dont see that being done too easily, especielly since a lot of people probably have their warden still alive. Then again, two main characters? That would be sort of interesting. I just hope for the love of god that they dont introduce a new protagonist.

Also, the frostbite engine? This is gonna be interesting, I'll give it that much.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Ok, first thought.
Fappy said:
Facebook just told me about this as well. I am getting the impression that Bioware is a child at prayer for this one. They REEEEAAAAALLLY are trying not to fuck this up. Maybe it will actually be good!
Additionally what this guy said. I can't get excited for videogames anymore unless it is something relatable to games I already have fond memories of. However, Bioware make good games, they haven't made fantastic games since the end of 2009/beginning of 2010, but it will probably be a good game in the end. Of course, that depends if they choose to implement the retarded DA-version of the dialogue wheel. I guess that is somewhat bearable if the end product is closer to Baldur's Gate and Origins.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
SajuukKhar said:

It does sound like PR spin, but if you recall, a lot of the things people hated in Dragon Age II were announced very early. People were already raging a year before the release of Dragon Age II. Bioware's response was something like "trust us, man, we know what we're doing, you'll change your mind when you get the game". So the critics got to enjoy a whole year of... that, and obviously no one liked what they got. Bioware really didn't want people to buy that game lol.

So if they start releasing details that sound terrible, they probably will be. If they keep their big mouths shut for a change or it actually sounds pretty good, that will at least be different from what happened leading up to DA2

It's easy to just wallow in my feelings of disappointment and annoyance at Bioware, but I will try to keep and open mind.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I hope they manage not to listen too much to the whiney Skyrim fanboys that frequent forums such as these...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nimcha said:
I hope they manage not to listen too much to the whiney Skyrim fanboys that frequent forums such as these...
What does Skyrim have to do with DA3?

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Fappy said:
Nimcha said:
Most people here seem to prefer Skyrim over DA2. I'm of the opposite opinion, so I simply hope the 'listening to the fans' is kept to a minimum. For my sake.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nimcha said:
Fappy said:
Nimcha said:
Most people here seem to prefer Skyrim over DA2. I'm of the opposite opinion, so I simply hope the 'listening to the fans' is kept to a minimum. For my sake.
They're completely different games though. I prefer Skyrim over DA2, but I don't really think it's a fair comparison. Yeah, they're both Fantasy RPGs, but they have very different designs and ideas. I think a more apt comparison would be comparing DAO to DA2. I see far more of that around here. Not so sure what it has been looking like on the BSN as of late though.