BioWare Apologizes For Representation of Trans Character in Andromeda

Apr 5, 2008
That character exists so that BW can show how liberal they are. It was a tickbox. "Hi, I'm a minority and I'm in the game. Bye." It's the worst of tokenism and pandering to the left.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cold Shiny said:
They apologize for an element in the game that no one cares about, but they don't apologize for the very disappointing game.

Bioware is terrified of some internet LGBT randos but couldn't give less of a crap about consumer confidence.
If they're offended by a small oversight, I hate to see their reaction to Poison from Final Fight/Street Fighter.

Me personally, you have people overreacting to something a majority of people missed, because there are many problems of the recent Mass Effect I've heard and seen about.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
altnameJag said:
So, just checking, but to be clear, the perpetually offended are being offended that Bioware apologized to a different set of perpetually offended?
Welcome to the internet.

Wrex Brogan said:
The weird thing is it could've been solved if they'd just asked a Trans person about it before writing. 'Hey, do trans people ever casually dead-name themselves? No? Alright, cool, thanks', problem solved.

Ah well, was a lazy-game overall from the feel of things, fucking up a simple question isn't surprising.
I think the problem is people go into Mass Effect with the wrong mindset. As a science fantasy series it has the opportunity to explore a world/universe in which stigmas of current society no longer exist and what effect that may have on how people and society behave.

Sure a Trans-gendered individual likely wouldn't dead-name them self in today's world, but would that be the case in a future in which being trans is completely accepted?

pookie101 said:
as someone who is transgender. i have actually met other trans people who are that blunt and in your face about it. i dont know why and im sure as hell not like that but there it is

ah bioware they know better... they did a much more better transgender npc in inquisition that was much more subtle and realistic which also made the character more interesting. they were a fully formed person rather than just token transgender character 702
Doesn't the existence of people who are "blunt and in your face about it" by definition make it realistic? Not representative mind you, but then no one character can ever truly be representative of an entire group.

OT:

This is probably one of my biggest gripes with Bioware. They're too willing to change things based on feedback, rather than understand the underlying reasons for the feedback and explain their rationale, and they usually end up throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Don't like the Mako? it's gone!
Want to romance a specific character? Romance everyone!
Don't like the ending? lets rewrite it.
Don't like our animations? now they're trying for an oscar!

Except for mining, they just won't get rid of that. Bioware must have a serious mining fetish.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
It's just touch-and-go (social media outrage) marketing. They drop a stink bomb that: 'someone' is offended and they 'apologise', fan the flame war over it on social media, walk out enjoying publicisity, not giving 2 f*(#$cks about outcome or either side of the conflict they created and carefuly managed to not have it trivialised and die out initially.

Can't believe Bioware does that. I suppose that's just EA corporate cancer leaking in.
It's also really disappointing, that people STILL fall for this kind of BS.
First reaction of BOTH sides is 'wait what?' but in matter of hours/days instigated conflict just overwhelms everything. Nobody can pin point who exactly was outraged first and why. Nobody cares both sides are far too delusional in their justified fight. There is just the dire need to defend (and BUY) or condemn (and... PROVIDE FREE MARKETING).

Global-sized facepalm @ anyone who didn't yet catch up on that dull marketing scheme... do such people need to have it 'written' down for them in pictogram brochure next to their f@&^ing keyboards to notice how 'played' they are?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Except that's not the Mass Effect universe.
It is.

Happyninja42 said:
There are examples of speciesm in the game. Humans hating Batarians, that guy on the bridge of the Normandy in the first game, who is very Human-centric in his beliefs.
Speciesm sure, but there's no evidence racism, homophobia or transphobia amongst humans. The closest is Kaidan's reaction in ME1 when you romance both him and Liara at the same time, and that would barely count as he kinda prefaces it with the Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that".

Happyninja42 said:
Ashley is also a great example of how the bigotry and narrow mindedness is still alive and well in the Mass Effect universe.
Not really. Both Ashley and Pressly are examples of the attitudes of isolationism and ignorance, not bigotry.

The Terra Firma yes.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
What was responses from everyone when people criticized ending of ME3?

Oh, you're just entitled crybabies.
It's just a game, stop whining!
Don't like it, don't buy it.

What's with all the apologies?
C'mon Bioware, have some consistency, dammit!
Call them entitled, whining, overgrown children and be done with it!
Y'know, like you treated your old fans.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
blackrave said:
What was responses from everyone when people criticized ending of ME3?

Oh, you're just entitled crybabies.
It's just a game, stop whining!
Don't like it, don't buy it.

What's with all the apologies?
C'mon Bioware, have some consistency, dammit!
Call them entitled, whining, overgrown children and be done with it!
Y'know, like you treated your old fans.
The old fans got an entirely re-written ending; it sounds like they took the complaints seriously. The people calling them entitled were journalists and other game devs not attached to the game.