Bioware + Bethesda: Best Game Ever?

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
People who hate either one will hate a product made by both. I have two friends who despise BioWare and Bethesda games. They're good guys, they're just not too big on expansive or free-form plots, or deep characterization you have to investigate on extra time to enjoy.

Personally, I like BioWare more than Bethesda, although Fallout 3 is definitely my most played game ever.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
I really don't think Bethesda and Bioware really do the samething, if they did, I'd like or hate both of them, instead of hating Bethesda for Tes, because FO can't pull it back, and adoring Bioware for D'Age 1 and ME, because D'Age 2 was just aweful.

If they did collaberate you'd end up with a large and intriguing world that is animated like arse with good bits, a dialogue sytem that isn't bad but the dialogue is pretty poor and generic, combat... how the hell would that work? Bioware does party based combat but any companion you have in Beth games has one command, "RUN FORWARDS!" and are stupidly overpowered which is the opposite of Biowares thesis, it probably would be pretty good with OP companions and a party based system but the other way around would be terrible.

Overall, the companies are some of the only in the industry that have their own real style, and it suits them, even though I don't like Tes.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
poppabaggins said:
This seems appropriate:
Completely laughed my ass off.

OT: I agree to some extent since each company COULD create a game that gets rid of the bad points within the other creations each company has made in the past to make an overall epic game. Or it could just go horribly wrong.

but hey, we can all dream.. :)

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Gluzzbung said:
I really don't think Bethesda and Bioware really do the samething, if they did, I'd like or hate both of them, instead of hating Bethesda for Tes, because FO can't pull it back, and adoring Bioware for D'Age 1 and ME, because D'Age 2 was just aweful.

If they did collaberate you'd end up with a large and intriguing world that is animated like arse with good bits, a dialogue sytem that isn't bad but the dialogue is pretty poor and generic, combat... how the hell would that work? Bioware does party based combat but any companion you have in Beth games has one command, "RUN FORWARDS!" and are stupidly overpowered which is the opposite of Biowares thesis, it probably would be pretty good with OP companions and a party based system but the other way around would be terrible.

Overall, the companies are some of the only in the industry that have their own real style, and it suits them, even though I don't like Tes.
That's exactly why I think it would work. No more overpowered companions, but ones that compliment your squad. Maybe even in VATS mode you could order your companions to hit different enemies in different areas. That's something Bethesda wouldn't come up with, but would be an idea brought by Bioware.

We wouldn't have to have the conversation wheel, but some sort of synthesis could really create some awesome dialog I feel.

Apr 15, 2009
add in blizzard/valve to polish it to death and you'll have a nice game indeed

Aug 28, 2010
I keep hearing people praising Obsidian, but what have they made that isn't crippled by bugs? KotOR 2? Neverwinter Nights 2? New Vegas? KotOR 2 and New Vegas are barely proper games and rather just more of KotOR and Fallout 3 respectively.

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
More like longest game ever. Bethesda would bring 300 hours of quests, and Bioware would bring 5 hours of dialogue for each quest. 100 percent completion would be near impossible.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Sounds good, but you could have thought up something better than that. Both developers have their fair share of flaws and the two teams, in the event that they end up being able to work perfectly together, wouldn't even each other's flaws out.

poppabaggins said:
This seems appropriate:
Brilliant. And I agree with the "HEAVEN" section entirely.

Riobux said:
No, not really. Bioware has written only one game that has legendary writing.
I can't think up a single Bioware game I've played that had legendary writing. And I've played nearly all of them except the Baldur's Gate series and Jade Empire (I know, I know. I'm still trying to get my hands on those games). Is it one of those three?

Felix said:
I keep hearing people praising Obsidian, but what have they made that isn't crippled by bugs? KotOR 2? Neverwinter Nights 2? New Vegas? KotOR 2 and New Vegas are barely proper games and rather just more of KotOR and Fallout 3 respectively.
People often (and in my experience, ONLY) praise Obsidian for their plots and some of their characters, something they're usually rather good at. Everyone here will probably agree that all of their games are ridiculously buggy.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'd imagine that the game that Bioware and Bethesda make will be damn near perfect. It will be huge, engaging... urgh, I can't even list the amount of amazing things it would be.

It would take every aspect of gaming, and do them well. Or perfect.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Good... but... throw in Bungie to cover anything multiplayer and community interaction and you're perfect.

Valve maybe would be a good replacement but don't wanna bring on the risk of Valve time to come with them.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Riobux said:
No, not really. Bioware has written only one game that has legendary writing.
I can't think up a single Bioware game I've played that had legendary writing. And I've played nearly all of them except the Baldur's Gate series and Jade Empire (I know, I know. I'm still trying to get my hands on those games). Is it one of those three?
It's Dragon Age: Origins. Which managed to create an universe that is unique and dark, and avoided the obvious trap of making it too flowery.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Riobux said:
It's Dragon Age: Origins. Which managed to create an universe that is unique and dark, and avoided the obvious trap of making it too flowery.
Hmm, I suppose DA:O's writing is above average for Bioware and way better than the story's such as of the overrated I-mostly-rely-on-a-twist KotoR et cetera, but I wouldn't call it Legendary, only pretty good. But that's just my opinion.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Riobux said:
Hmm, I suppose DA:O's writing is above average for Bioware and way better than the story's such as of the overrated I-mostly-rely-on-a-twist KotoR et cetera, but I wouldn't call it Legendary, only pretty good. But that's just my opinion.
Comparing Dragon Age: Origins to the typical game, it's legendary.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
If they would make a game that contains the best aspects (bioware's depth and acting quality, Bethesda's openness and scope) of each company's individually created games, and it works (as a game), I would be willing to pay about 120 dollars for it.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Riobux said:
SpaceBat said:
Riobux said:
Perhaps spacebat can list some other game stories to compare it to? What could possibly exceed DA:O in terms of story and characters?

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Riobux said:
SpaceBat said:
Riobux said:
I think I would too. If it was really as awesome as I am envisioning it.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I would buy it, I don't care if one of the main features was that the box was filled with plague rats, I would buy that game.
poppabaggins said:
This seems appropriate:
That actually does seem a little appropriate, and a lot more true then I first thought.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
This topic brought this image to mind...

The story should be written by Obsidian/Bethesda.
The dialogue should be written by BioWare.
The cutscenes should be made by Square-Enix.
The QA testing should be performed by Valve.
And the release schedule should be set by Capcom.