BioWare Cancels EU The Old Republic Beta-Test Weekend

Althus

Sep 24, 2010
The Lugz said:
Althus said:
The could maybe use a patch to upgrade the beta to the new build or is this just a crazy idea?
So people didn't had to download all the 27 gigs.
you want them to spend time creating an upgrade patcher for beta versions of the game?
you crazy you XD

now if they'd started a streaming service from the beginning, it might have been ok to just download 2-3 gigs at a time ( blizzard did this a few times with friends and family beta, but it was their own game engine too so they probably have more flexibility )
My idea was to find out if the are just adding code, or not, if that was the case they could just find a way to just send the new code to the players in the beta, in other wand if they are rebuilding the game from zero, then there is no other way to avoid the 27 gigs download.

This was my line of thinking, but I don't know how they make a game, so this just pure speculation

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Nile McMorrow said:
Meh, I still want to know if you need origin to play the game when it releases.
It's not about Origin.
What you want to know is how the SW:ToR EULA is written!

Even if they don't use Origin (They most likely wont, as MMOs typically use in game distribution system.) the EULA can still contain exactly same "lemme spy on you" provisions.
I'm not so sure if it would contain that though as Bioware's developing the game and not EA and I think it's the developer the makes the EULA not the publisher. Unless EA forces them to include a separate EULA that pertains to the game having EA's service then that could possibly contain that clause. Also you can't be so sure that the launcher for game won't require Origin. Especially since EA desperately seems to want it in circulation.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
redisforever said:
Before the rage, think. I am on their side. My internet wouldn't be able to handle downloading 27 gigs. Also, better version.

I do think they should have kept it up during the intervening time.
Is non-flat rate internet common in North America then? Keep seeing this as a trend, kinda surprised, considering what a shithole I live in and how it's a standard here.

A-duus

Sep 9, 2008
The Forces of Chaos said:
Is orign required for the beta ? sorry haven't keeped up on it.
No.. only if you preorder online with orign..

Pfhh only 27gigs... in the last 3 months i averaged at around 400GB a month, 27 is nothing...

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Before the rage, think. I am on their side. My internet wouldn't be able to handle downloading 27 gigs. Also, better version.

Is non-flat rate internet common in North America then? Keep seeing this as a trend, kinda surprised, considering what a shithole I live in and how it's a standard here.
Well, in Canada, it goes to a limit, like mine is 60 gigs, and then they charge you after that, like $2/gig.

I do also have an unlimited plan at my dad's house, but it's slower.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

Well, in Canada, it goes to a limit, like mine is 60 gigs, and then they charge you after that, like $2/gig.

And what speeds are we talking about in both cases, of both limited and unlimited bandwidth?

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

And what speeds are we talking about in both cases, of both limited and unlimited bandwidth?
With the plans I have:
Limited, in theory, 5mbps.
Unlimited, about 3mbps.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

With the plans I have:
Unlimited, about 3mbps.
Huh, that's definitely not the difference I'd give up an unlimited bandwidth plan for tbh :\

A-duus

Sep 9, 2008
D
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

With the plans I have:
Unlimited, about 3mbps.
I feel sorry for you north americans..

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

With the plans I have:
Unlimited, about 3mbps.
Huh, that's definitely not the difference I'd give up an unlimited bandwidth plan for tbh :\
Well, it's actually about the same price, and the limited has only 60 gigs a month, and we got unlimited for Netflix.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
A-duus said:
D
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:
Vrach said:
redisforever said:

With the plans I have:
Unlimited, about 3mbps.
I feel sorry for you north americans..
It's here in Canada mainly, because the government seems to hate us being able to use technology.