BioWare Co-Founders Retire

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
Woulda rather see than continue with a company that is not under corporate stranglehold.

Of course, the gradualy degenerating quality of Bioware games might not have been solely due to EA. Maybe they realy did run out of steam. After some 2 decades. Nothing to do with EA at all.

However, ill be going with the vastly more likely explaination here. Damn you EA burn and die in deadly fiery death!

cannot_aim

Dec 18, 2008
Thank you for all the two of you have done to advance games and building one of my favorite studios of all time.

The industry will never be the same without you Greg and Ray, you will be missed.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
The sad part is that if gamers really did want EA to make better games (they don't, they just want to ***** and moan about it) then BioWare was the go-to company to buy games from.

And money, while corrupting, is an honest being. It is the only thing that doesn't lie (the money itself). EA will listen to gamers whine and cry about too many First Person Shooters and sports games, but all they have to do is look at the success of games like Battlefield and MADDEN to know that's all a load of horse shit.

When gamers cry about first person shooters being too bland and samey and they don't want them anymore, yet games like Battlefield and Call of Duty keep breaking sales records every time they get released, that makes gamers either wrong, or just whining for the sake of whining. No boycott from gamers ever makes any sense, because of one thing:

They will buy games from EA, just so they can make up some bullshit reason to feel ripped off, then they can cry about it on the internet. They do it so they can complain, because gamers love to complain. Complaining is easy and makes you feel like the victim of a big corporation. When really all they are is stupid with their own money.

A sucker is born every minute, and they will soon be parted with their money.

EA is a greedy company, but not to the cartoonish degree that gamer culture would have you believe. They claim it's Monty Burns, when EA is really more like a sneaky phone company that charges you System Access Fees.

CAPTCHA: Good Grief

Even the captcha is tired of this shit.
I always thought people bought the game due to a combination of peer pressure, heavy marketing and not enough will power. It's a very potent combination at the best of times and it does take quite a bit of will power to stick to boycotting.

But most of the money the publishers get is mostly from over-charging for their products. Forty five quid is a lot of money to sink on a single purchase for a lot of gamers. Especially when a lot of them are on low income jobs and or spend time on gaming websites to further rub in the desire for a new game.

But as you said, there's a sucker born every minute and the sheer number of newbies make up for the number of disillusioned gamers out there as far as the publisher is concerned. It's quite depressing to think how a much loved childhood hobby is being increasingly bogged down and diluted by corporate interests.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
LiquidGrape said:
Oh do grow up. Already with the conspiracy theories and cries for what darkness is to come?

I wish them both the very best in their new pursuits, and I thank them for their contribution to games. I think that's really all that needs to be said.
I agree.

Thanks guys, wish you all the best for whatever it is that you'll pursue now.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
It is always sad to see the old guard go, but I see this as an opportunity for new passionate people to step into the industry. These new guys will need to be a little more savvy when it comes to corporate politics, though. . .

Fare thee well.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I have mixed thoughts here.

At the end of the day we shouldn't be blaming EA but the Bioware Co-Founders for what's going on here. From where I'm standing these guys built up the "Bioware" brand, and then sold the company to EA while still remaining tenatively at it's head. They figured they would stick around if EA's plans worked, but when they predictably failed, they more or less grabbed the golden parachute of their payout, and left. From their perspective it was a giant cash grab, they got paid and didn't really care about the games, they got a payout, and a chance at more money, but when it failed they were able to leave what they grabbed. The way they played it they can now retire in their early 40s, if it hurts games and gamers, so what? They made theirs.

As I understand things this was not a hostile takeover, it was a conscious desician at the top to take EA's money and merge with them, these two guys were probably the ones who decided to do that, they are thus responsible for what happened to the games, employees, and the state of gaming. EA was doing what it always does, and was a known quantity, there was no real deception involved as far as I can see.

To be honest I'd be wary of either of these guys if they decided to get back into the business because if they sold out, and then jumped ship, once, there is no guarantee they won't do it again.

If I sound more judgemental of Bioware's leadership than I am of say Richard Garriot, a lot of it has to do with timing and when things happened. It's because of how things turned out with guys like Richard that you can't claim ignorance of what was going to happen and who was being dealt with in Bioware's dealings.

It's sad that what is likely the last vestige of what made Bioware what it was is now gone, but I think we all knew this was coming. I do not however view the co-founders as victims here as much as part of the cause. In the absolute best case you can say they brought it on themselves, and given their apparent retirement in their early 40s (which means they can afford to do so) it doesn't seem like they are in bad shape, or especially sympathetic, after all they doubtlessly knew they had the option to do this which is why they sold out.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'd just like to use this to thank the Dr's for helping my formative years be full of wonder and mysticism. Their $100,000 gamble helped computer RPGs have a distinct flavor and energy that has yet to be completely emulated, and with Baldur's Gate EE coming soon, it's obvious that their initial mark on the history of the medium is far from dated and unwanted.

Good luck in your next steps, and don't keep all that mead to yourself! I really wouldn't mind a few bottles of that.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Therumancer said:
From where I'm standing these guys built up the "Bioware" brand, and then sold the company to EA while still remaining tenatively at it's head.
Why do people keep spreading misinformation?

EA bought BW/Pandemic's parent company (and private equity firm), Elevation Partners, which owned several other companies in the tech sector. That was due to John Riccitello, who had originally founded the company and then left, re-acquiring the firm after working at EA for two years

Really, your entire post is based on a fallacy.

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
xedobubble said:
Vaya con Dios, gentlemen. You brought us some amazing work.

We shall watch your careers with great interest.
Monsigenur Martinez?

I never got into Baldur's Gate but from what I've heard, its a legend of the RPG series so-(salutes) carry on gentlemen and here's wishing you the best of luck.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
And there we go. The transition to EA subsidiary is complete.

Farewell old friend.
Actually there's one more step to becoming an EA subsidiary.
EA has to shut you down, because EA has no subsidiaries only slaves.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I've translated both of their statements into one three word answer to the question, "Why are you leaving Bioware?"
"Because of E.A"
That's all there is too it, really, cut and dry, that is why.
Sure, it's partially their fault that Bioware got consumed into the Tyrant Juggernaut in the first place, but it's clear to see this is a case of the people with actual passion scattering from a company that E.A has devoured and branded into DEVELOPMENT STUDIO #6809