BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Can someone inform me what qualifies as cut or essential content and what qualifies as added content. I mean the Prothean stuff is optional but most of the sidequests are optional on there own and you don't have to pay extra for them. How do we decide what is a gift and what is a ransom, it feels like we're throwing fucking dice up here.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Heinrich843 said:
I don't mean to urinate in anyone's Cheerios, but I bet piracy for the "Collector's Edition" is going to be huge.

If it costs 20 more dollars for the capability to add a character already in the game to your squad, and acquire a couple of quests, this seems to be... a bit high of a price tag for a little extra content.
The thing is that isn't all you get for your extra 20 dollars. I pre-ordered it through Amazon last year, and this is what it says I will be getting with the Collector's Edition:

Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of Commander Shepard
70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team
Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork
Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch
Exclusive 4x6 lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork
A full collection of in-game content that can't be found anywhere else
N7 Arsenal Pack - Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol
Robotic Dog - A faithful sidekick to keep you company on board the Normandy
Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack - New appearances for your favorite squad members
N7 Hoodie - For Commander Shepard's casual days on board the Normandy
Mass Effect 3 with the digital soundtrack
Xbox LIVE Normandy prop for your avatar
A collection of forum and social badges, avatars, and perks

(And then add on that content that they didn't start work on until after the game was in certification.)

I consider that to be quite a bit for just an extra 20 dollars.

bLAZay00

Dec 10, 2011
Honestly you won't know the way this went down until you ask the QA people when the main game went gold and when the DLC came in for testing.

I'm one of those guys that got the CE mainly because I like getting swag for series I enjoy. My first thought when I saw this was, "Wow, that is pretty huge to not include in the regular edition." However, from what I'm reading, you do get the prothean storyline. You just don't get the quests and the playable character.

Frankly the people that are definitely getting hosed are the digital CE folks.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
him over there said:
Can someone inform me what qualifies as cut or essential content and what qualifies as added content. I mean the Prothean stuff is optional but most of the sidequests are optional on there own and you don't have to pay extra for them. How do we decide what is a gift and what is a ransom, it feels like we're throwing fucking dice up here.
The only people who actually know are the people on the inside, and unfortunately, justified or not, a lot of the more vocal people are not going to believe them no matter what.

Now sometimes there is enough information available to make a better guess. For instance, if it is confirmed that content is already entirely on the disc and is only blocked off by a code, then that is more likely to at least feel like a ripoff.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
He doesn't say anything that I didn't know already.
My question still remains, why do they ask for money? Whether it wasn't ready or not doesn't matter. They have Origin, which is a requirement, so they could offer it as free DLC through Origin, if you buy a new version. Just like they did with Zaeed. The collectors edition argument sounds more like an excuse to me.
But, I've heard that
the Prothean is still in the game but this only enables him as a squadmate. So the important story part is still in the game whether you buy the DLC or not.
I can't confirm this but in that case I would be fine with this decision. I still think it's bullshit but there are worse things.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
This is your face. This is EA d_ckslapping your face. "/slap Mm, yea. That's good. /slap You like that don't you. Now push it around with your..."

Fight the hype, prove that you are humans worthy of respect and not sheeple. Refuse to buy until the final whatever edition comes out. You know, the one with the actual finished product in the box.

Respect yourself. Don't buy this.
I have to agree whole-heartedly with you here. People need to wake up because it's just going to get worse. How can anyone seriously post that they are okay with this kind of utter bullshit? Totally unacceptable and anyone who says otherwise has deluded themselves. I stand by TotalBiscuit and his boycott. I simply will not buy this game on launch and I have played mass effect 3 times and Mass Effect2 twice.

Here's a big middle finger to EA and Bio(*****)ware.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.
Added on content. Not cut content.

Something extra for people who buy the CE and available to buy if you didn't.
Not really I mean, story wise, a living breathing prothean is a HUGE deal. I mean wow a living being from a race that was wiped out 50,000 years ago but managed to help give you a fighting chance.

That seems pretty fucking critical to me.

I imagine just a few years down the road, right before the final cutscene of a game that would give you your ending an EA window will pop up and it will go, to see the final scene you'll need our Deluxe Ending DLC pack! It encludes an extra ending to the game! It's added content! (and the non DLC ending is just a cut to black "Game Over" screen without it.)

I know I'm going to sound very hipster on this...but I really enjoy not buying AAA titles anymore. They just nickel and dime us more, they become part of these heartless ginormous publishers like EA or Activision. Better to buy Indie and save yourself the heart ache of getting fucked on DLC.
You don't sound indie at all. You sound like a rational human-being with a fully functional brain. I mean that as a compliment. Apparently we are the minority...

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
burningdragoon said:
him over there said:
The only people who actually know are the people on the inside, and unfortunately, justified or not, a lot of the more vocal people are not going to believe them no matter what.

Now sometimes there is enough information available to make a better guess. For instance, if it is confirmed that content is already entirely on the disc and is only blocked off by a code, then that is more likely to at least feel like a ripoff.
Makes sense, like when they lock things out if you don't by it new and you have to pay extra to get it back. One thing I don't get is that people buy used because it's cheaper, but you have to pay pretty much full price for the entirety of the game anyway. Isn't the whole point of the price cut on used goods that it isn't in mint condition and it's compensation for the wear and tear from the previous owner? Actually unless the disc doesn't work I don't really see why used games should be any cheaper, save that it's essentially gamestop's profits.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Zeel said:
I need something to discuss.
[clears throat politely and gestures to my own previous post quoting you, which was an attempt to invoke discussion on a fruitful level and went ignored]

Grumm

Nov 5, 2011
I hate DLC, makes me feel like I'm being milked for cash.

I say bring back Expansion Packs.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Hey Bioware. Go eat a dick. Oh wait, your mouths already full of EA wang aint it.
If it were just a generic character or skin pack then fine, but this is a mother fucking Prothean so obviously has some serious back story (That is unless your writing team are fucking useless.) which reflects on the entire damn series. Thats the sorta thing you would have had planned long before you shipped. And even if you did not start work on it till the game went gold then you obviously had it all planned out well in advance so theres no fucking excuse.
And restricting it to the fucking CE was just a further dick move. Guess $60 for your fucking CoD reskin aint good enough for you wankers anymore huh.

Fuck Bioware, fuck EA and fuck Bioware again. Guess whose buying used and patching in the extra bullshit.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
him over there said:
burningdragoon said:
him over there said:

Makes sense, like when they lock things out if you don't by it new and you have to pay extra to get it back. One thing I don't get is that people buy used because it's cheaper, but you have to pay pretty much full price for the entirety of the game anyway. Isn't the whole point of the price cut on used goods that it isn't in mint condition and it's compensation for the wear and tear from the previous owner? Actually unless the disc doesn't work I don't really see why used games should be any cheaper, save that it's essentially gamestop's profits.
Well the 'problem' with the used games not being 'complete' is that for things like locking out the multiplayer (which honestly I would expect ME3 to get a lot more heat from than this DLC) isn't so much a used product losing value as a company actively damaging it's product to hurt it's resale value. But really, the usedness of games is a legitimately different beast than other used markets, so I understand the need to do something to counteract it. I don't think Online Pass-esqu stuff is the right direction to go to do that though.

I'm not sure what the point of this post of mine is, hmmmmm, oh well.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
When a video game is finished being made, there a lot of people sitting around on their asses with nothing to do. The product needs to go through cert. and a bunch of legal and business procedures that take a lot of time. What do these people do while they wait? Make more content. If they didn't do that? They're not working.

Anyone who gets angry about DLC doesn't understand how video games are made. Period.

Edgeless

Jul 27, 2011
What grinds my gears is probably what is getting everyone else riled up too...

It's already in the game. It should be on the disc, and even if they didn't have time to put it on the disk, they should have put it as a free optional service like what Batman: Arkham City did.

With Collectors Editions, when you buy they game, you should never get anything that doesn't come with the original (Gameplay wise). Real life items (Artbooks, CD's, Figures etc), Alternate colours/costumes, Different weapons (If they're available for a cheap price/not far later down the line) are fine. Things that give you an advantage or more than the other person gave up money wise are wrong.

I can't remember, has this DLC always been advertised to come with the CE? If not, that's a dick move. I'll be buying Mass Effect 3 because I like the series, but after THIS and all the issues with SW:TOR, I probably won't be buying from them again.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Zeel said:
Your post was fanboy wank because you didn't add a damn thing to the discussion.

"Im going to get the game anyways guys. :3"
Who cares dude. Get it. shut up and then leave. If you want to engage in discussion. I need something to discuss. If you're just going to ignore all points and go "GETTING IT", then the discussion is over. No one is fed.
You are such an angry person. Need something to discuss? Are you serious?

What are you adding, Zeel? Not more than I did. There is no discussion going on here. No one is being fed. And certainly not by you. All you can do is either buy it, or not buy it. Ranting angrily on the internet will get you absolutely nowhere. All you've managed to do is become somewhat of a laughing stock around here. People see you post and think "oh here it goes."

This "discussion" has been over for awhile now. All we can do now is try to beat each other over the head our points of view. And speaking of ignoring all points? Look in a mirror, guy. Better yet, read through your post history, or get someone else to. You're textbook. You ignore all points and go "FANBOY SHEEP BLIND IGNORANT ETC". The only right viewpoint is yours, it seems.

All that's left to do is either buy it or not. I am free to spend my hard earned money on anything I deem worthy of it. You haven't the slightest right to tell anyone what to do with theirs.

You don't present yourself clearly. You don't discuss. You roar and insult and belittle to get your points across. You are a rude person and you're making quite a few users here lose their patience with you.

Ever since you've joined this site you've been ranting and raving about how rubbish Mass Effect 3 will be, how horrible BioWare has become, and how evil EA is. Like I said before, you are on a mission.

Sad thing is, I understand where you're coming from. I agree with some of your points. But at the end of the day I will be buying the game. It doesn't make me a fanboy. It doesn't make what I say fanboy wank. It doesn't make me a sheep or a turtle. It makes me an adult that has chosen to spend his money on a product that he'd like to get some time out of.

I enjoyed the last two. They aren't my favorite games ever, but they are certainly up there. Does that make you better than me because you hate them?

I'm happily spending $80 on this game. It looks to have much more content than most ten-hour ride games these days. I'll make that $80 back in less than a day, anyway.

The shooting mechanics feel great, the story is passable, and I really enjoy the characters and setting. I like the gun modding, and I think it has just the right amount of skill tweaking in the squad menu. Not bare-bones like ME2, not way overboard like ME1. And all the bonus (BONUS- YOU CAN GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE WITHOUT IT) content in the Collector's edition? Worth a measly twenty bucks, for sure.

You need to just breathe, stop insulting people, and try to present yourself in a way that won't make people roll their eyes or call you a troll. Seriously, I'm sure there's a person under there somewhere, not just a ball of EA/BioWare hatred.

Anyway, best of luck, Zeel.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Zeel said:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

Fuck that. Anyone who agrees, send them an email at contact@Bioware.
I agree, Bioware is fucking their fans over when it comes to the DLC. This isn't the first time either. Lair of the shadow broker should have been in the original game, because it expands quite a bit on the romance with Liara, which is barely touched in ME2 otherwise. Arrival DLC is supposed to be important for the story as a whole, but they didn't include it in the original either.

I hate them for it, because I wouldn't normally have gotten any of the DLCs and started ME3 without playing important parts of the story.

Now they can't even add a DLC to the original game, even though it's done and they've postponed the game which was supposed to be out at the end of 2011?
<spoiler=MFW>

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
War Penguin said:
Wait, I want to get things straight, here: If you get the ME 3 Collector's Edition, you get the DLC for free. Does that mean the DLC is included on the disc? Or is it just free to purchase online?

If it's on disc, then if you had time to put it in the CE then why didn't you have time to put it in the regular game? Doesn't the CE take more time to make than the regular?

If it's just free online purchase: Well, I guess that makes some sense. Still, I'm not too happy about it. You'd think that this character, who had all of this mystery and lore surrounding his people, would be much more important to the story. I keep hearing that he'll still be in the story, even without the DLC, and that he's just not a squad member. That I'm okay with, and I sure as hell hope it's true.
I hope that people realize that if you buy the CE, your still paying the extra for the content... so it balances out.... people do know that...right?