BioWare Fan Creates Gorgeous Mass Effect 2 Artwork

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
my favorite artwork out of all is Garrus. Least would have to be of Miranda (looks less like Yvonne Strahovski which is bit of downside)

but the details in all the artworks are simply stunning

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
He is a hugely talented artist; he likes the Mass Effect series; *and* he likes Sunshine, Underworld and John Murphy.

Clone him now.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Bioware is known to pick up on most ME fan stuff on the internet. If it's very high quality (like the Shepard Song) they'll even put it on their facebook.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I'm sorry for being the dissenter here, but this is pretty dull work.
I won't deny that the creator can draw (even if Miranda's right arm in that one piece appears disturbingly emaciated) but there's no sense of direction to it. And the colouring is ostentatious and gimmicky.
I'd also argue that the alleged contemplative aspect is nonexistent. These are stock set-pieces, and not portrayed in a particularly interesting way.

Much prefer the fan work of axl99 [http://axl99.tumblr.com/].

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Wow, impressive. They ought to scoop him up and get him to do some concept works for them.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
I'm sorry for being the dissenter here, but this is pretty dull work.
I won't deny that the creator can draw (even if Miranda's right arm in that one piece appears disturbingly emaciated) but there's no sense of direction to it. And the colouring is ostentatious and gimmicky.
I'd also argue that the alleged contemplative aspect is nonexistent. These are stock set-pieces, and not portrayed in a particularly interesting way.

Much prefer the fan work of axl99 [http://axl99.tumblr.com/].
Not to offend but that's a rather contrarian viewpoint you have of this stellar artwork. The colour is ostentatious? The use of colour isn't arbitrary, it enbodies bright bodies of colour which are an integral part of mass effect's art direction. Colour is used within the game to symbolically portray the vividness and seemingly limitless possibilities of the universe.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Wait...Mass Effect fan art that ISN'T of Tali? Holy shit, I didn't think such a thing could exist...thank you, thank you so much.

And wow, those are really nice.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
lobster1077 said:
Not to offend but that's a rather contrarian viewpoint you have of this stellar artwork. The colour is ostentatious? The use of colour isn't arbitrary, it enbodies bright bodies of colour which are an integral part of mass effect's art direction. Colour is used within the game to symbolically portray the vividness and seemingly limitless possibilities of the universe.
Meh. Seems terribly easy to label me a contrarian when I actually take the time to give reasons for my not liking them all that much.
Anyway, to me, these pieces seem contrived and overstated. And I'm not a fan of the fundamental style, regardless of the obvious underlying skill which is channeling it.
On the subject of colour, however, I see little common ground between the colour scheme of the source and these paintings. Mass Effect is a very evocative and vivid universe, whereas this seems to rely entirely on gloss and oversaturation.

ksn0va said:
Checked the link. And well... I have nothing to say.

I... um.

:(
Sorry, I'm just curious; was that a positive or negative response to the contents of that link?

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
Sorry, I'm just curious; was that a positive or negative response to the contents of that link?
Not exactly positive but not negative either. I saw that some of those are a work in progress, but still comparing them to Patryk's and all the other none ME stuff he's done is just... well far off.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
ksn0va said:
LiquidGrape said:
Not exactly positive but not negative either. I saw that some of those are a work in progress, but still comparing them to Patryk's and all the other none ME stuff he's done is just... well far off.
All of them are WIP's. If you google around, you can find her finished stuff.
And I don't see why the "comparison" is off.
They are different approaches, and I happen to think hers is much more interesting and stylised. Also far more evocative of the source material than Patryk's work.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
ksn0va said:
LiquidGrape said:
All of them are WIP's. If you google around, you can find her finished stuff.
And I don't see why the "comparison" is off.
They are different approaches, and I happen to think hers is much more interesting and stylised. Also far more evocative of the source material than Patryk's work.
One reason why I don't like games to be considered art: it's very subjective.
You know what let's just leave it at that. To each his own.