BioWare Fixes Serious Old Republic PvP Exploit

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Kwil said:
NightHawk21 said:
I don't play the game, but I don't think they should be punished for it. Players being clever is not something to punish them for, especially if you didn't catch it yourself. Shit in games I played there were stuff like this too where you could agro stuff continuously to move it far away from its camp or to phase through locked doors to get more loot than you could normally. If the developer doesn't catch it they can't complain when it gets abused IMO. Mind you this only goes for in game exploits, soon as you start using a third party system to give you an edge you get no sympathy from me.
And if you were just playing against AI, you might have a point. This is playing against other people though. Obviously the ones who were doing this had no thought toward the people they were casually mowing down upon respawn.. and those aren't the type of people you really want populating your world, because they drive out other players.

Personally, I think the ideal solution to this scenario would be to silently lower how accurate the exploiters shots are. Make it so that one out of every three normal hits is now a miss instead, and don't tell them. They're going to make the game hard and not fun for other people? Fine.. make the game hard for them to do it then.
Well unless the instance/fight/whatever is required and not optional so the players were effectively stopping anyone in the opposing faction from playing the game, I wouldn't punish the players. Don't get me wrong I think it should be fixed (say 100 people can play, you cap that particular area at 50 from each faction), but I don't think the players should be punished, or if they are (say they continued doing it after a mod told them to stop) I think the punishment should be less severe than a perma ban.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Well, the turrets may well stop camping (assuming they're in the spawn area or impossible to bypass), but will it stop turtling?

A turtle would be rather funny... don't play the game, so don't know how likely a turtle would be.

Never thought about it in WoW battlegrounds, but the res system probably did stop a lot of camping the spawn - in battlegrounds, the resser ressed every 30 sec, so if you killed people by spawn, they'd all repop together, so you'd be battling a group of full health people. Was funny in Alterac if someone nabbed the wrong flag, making the base pretty much impenetrable, because then everyone was ressing IN the base, instead of some outside.

Most games I've known offer some kind of limited invulnerability, but I don't pvp very often, so not familiar with common systems in MMOs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
From everything that I've been hearing about TOR, seems to me that the game in general is a "Swing-and-a-miss!" by BioWare. I KNEW they should have just did what everyone wanted in the first place: Knights of the Old Republic III.

Oh well, back to waiting for Mass Effect 3. Less than 2 months away, Escapists!

Edit: I should really start reading other comments before posting so I can stop glancing up at the post right above mine and seeing something I wanted to comment on. Anyways, in regards to:

tharglet said:
Well, the turrets may well stop camping (assuming they're in the spawn area or impossible to bypass), but will it stop turtling?

A turtle would be rather funny... don't play the game, so don't know how likely a turtle would be.

Never thought about it in WoW battlegrounds, but the res system probably did stop a lot of camping the spawn - in battlegrounds, the resser ressed every 30 sec, so if you killed people by spawn, they'd all repop together, so you'd be battling a group of full health people. Was funny in Alterac if someone nabbed the wrong flag, making the base pretty much impenetrable, because then everyone was ressing IN the base, instead of some outside.

Most games I've known offer some kind of limited invulnerability, but I don't pvp very often, so not familiar with common systems in MMOs.
Yeah, as much as I really started to get disinterested in WoW towards the end of my career (which came shortly after the final content for Burning Crusade was released), I really have to say that the PvP was what kept me around longer than I probably would have stayed otherwise. For all of WoW's faults, I think they did a great job at the PvP Battlegrounds by making them objective-based and not just big games of Team Deathmatch. I've never played TOR, but I can only imagine that the PvP would be objective based as well, because that's really the only way I can see PvP in an MMO being any fun. Plus objective-based games make turtling really rather pointless.