Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
AstylahAthrys said:
I just read the spoilers. All I can say is... what the fuck. What. The. Fuck. If I get the ending mentioned in the topic OP, I will murder puppies.
Could you give me a link to them? I'm very curious. It cold be in PMs if you don't want to link it here.
Both links are already posted, but in case anyone else missed it too:

The link to BSN: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Gameplay-Discussion-Spoilers-allowed/So-we-can039t-get-the-ending-we-want-after-all-9512916-1.html

And the other summaries http://pastebin.com/dUiLznSD
Sorry, when I quoted you, I thought that there was an actual leaked script. I apologize for bugging you for no reason.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
AstylahAthrys said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
AstylahAthrys said:
I just read the spoilers. All I can say is... what the fuck. What. The. Fuck. If I get the ending mentioned in the topic OP, I will murder puppies.
Could you give me a link to them? I'm very curious. It cold be in PMs if you don't want to link it here.
Both links are already posted, but in case anyone else missed it too:

The link to BSN: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Gameplay-Discussion-Spoilers-allowed/So-we-can039t-get-the-ending-we-want-after-all-9512916-1.html

And the other summaries http://pastebin.com/dUiLznSD
Sorry, when I quoted you, I thought that there was an actual leaked script. I apologize for bugging you for no reason.
Tis totally okay! I got to see your awesome avatar because of it! And I second your following post. You know, this one.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
So there isn't an actual leaked script?
It's not even a script leak. It's a secondhand summary written by someone who allegedly played the game.
Yeah, that sounds real trustworthy. I call foul without actual evidence.
The more I read, the more inclined to believe we're being trolled.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
*shrug* I don't think it is that bad or at least no worse than usual assuming this is actually real and not someone trolling but then ME never had great writting IMHO. Defeating the reapers should be costly. A bittersweet ending fits.
Edit: didn't see the bit about the LI?s, I?m inclined to believe this fake then or at least that this part of it is. I can?t imagine Bioware screwing up that badly.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
DementedSheep said:
*shrug* I don't think it is that bad or at least no worse than usual assuming this is actually real and not someone trolling but then ME never had great writting IMHO. Defeating the reapers should be costly. A bittersweet ending fits.
Edit: didn't see the bit about the LI?s, I?m inclined to believe this fake then or at least that this part of it is. I can?t imagine Bioware screwing up that badly.
See that's why I'm inclined to believe it, Bioware has pretty damn good history at screwing up things that require information from a previous game.

OT: I'm still getting the game, though I am still planing on not buying any DLC for it, especially if they come out three months from now with a DLC we have to pay for that "fixes" then ending like Beth. did with Fallout 3.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
That's fine with me. As long as the depressing endings are done well.

It's not always about the ending -even though a good ending can save a mediocre series- but it's all about the journey there. As long as it doesn't throw Singularity level nonsensical endings at us I'm perfectly fine with Shepard failing to protect the universe.

+1 for making fanboys weep, Bioware

Edit:
Shepard rallies all the alien races
They fight the Reapers and there are massive causalities
The Reapers win, essentially - they kill Shepard and destroy all the fleets sent to fight them but the Reapers retreat temporarily to recuperate.
Before Shepard died he/she left a detailed description of the Reapers, including ways to kill them, what their goals are and how many Reapers exist.
The few remaining Reapers return several hundred or thousand years later only to discover the remnants left behind after the Reapers retreated have spent that time preparing for the Reapers return - booby-trapping mass relays and such.
In the end the Reapers are finally destroyed thanks to Shepard and the work of his/her crew.

Ideally there would be 10+ hours of gameplay after Shepard is killed and the Reapers retreat.

Anyway that's how I would do it or at least I would make that one of several possible endings.
But it^ would never happen because Bioware has too many other fans to appeal too. Even with multiple endings you aren't going to please everybody, Bioware.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I was just on the Bioware boards actually. And yes, they are lighting up like a match thrown on to an ocean of oil.

As for my thoughts.

Eh, I don't particularly hate the endings. And I actually read the brief summary given, so I know what they "supposedly" entail.
Personally I like the fact that the ending is depressing. I know that if given the choice, almost none of my Shepards would have "happy" endings.
The thing about the love interests. It could be a glitch, but if it's not, then a very sizable (and occasionally creepy) part of the fanbase is gonna be... pissed as all hell.

So, I'm not particularly mirfed about it.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SillyBear said:
All of the possible endings are incredibly depressing and the sense of purpose from the two previous games are destroyed.
Wait, this is coming as a shock to people? Does no one remember the ending of ME3 that I called this summer?

My predicted endings (these are not spoilers, as they are my guesses, not based on any info aside from playing ME1 and ME2):

Good End: Shepard and Crew die saving Earth. Somehow.

Medium End: Shepard and Crew live, but must sacrifice Earth - they destroy the Mass Relay to kill the Reaper fleet, but also kill most of humanity. Humans are a race without a home (the new Quarians).

Bad End: as Medium end, but Shepard and Crew die as well.

So yeah - if anyone thought this was going to end with triumph and ticker-tape parades, I think they were kidding themselves.

Edit: I have now read the spoilers.

And... oooh, cool! Sad, but there's some cool shit going down at the end of this game. I won't say anything specific, except that I am not feeling down about this - I'm feeling excited for awesomeness!

The ending is going to suck so good. That is - shit is not going to be happy, but it is going to be fucking awesome.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Canadish said:
Need proof? Screen shot time baby!

Dude, I might be one of the detractors, but for your own sanity, spoiler those things.
I have a troll quota to hit! I can't work with conditions like this!

But I suppose you are correct ;)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Some spoilers below, but nothing which should be too major given this thread:

I think Bioware has definatly shown they have lost their touch. Going from quality RPGs to shooters and brawlers with cinematics, and now increasingly bad writing in some of their strongest franchises. I had my problems with the story in DA2, but this seems to be even worse on so many levels that I'm kind of shocked that the same people who did the first two games wrote it.

THAT said, I think what your looking at is EA's influance here. See, Bioware itself tended to be smart enough to know when a story was over and wrap things up properly and leave them. A good example would be Jade Empire, a game that was pretty well self contained, and proabably would have suffered if they attempted to turn it into a trilogy or full franchise. As a result they seemed to pretty much leave it to stand on it's own, figuring it would only be re-visited if some serious lightning struck.

When Mas Effect was originally planned there seemed to be an intention that they were going to do THAT story and not worry about turning it into a huge franchise. As the series succeeded though you'll notice things very rapidly switched to comments about how the triology would not end the universe and how they planned to spin this into a huge franchise. While superficially good news to fans, it does tend to weaken an overall production as actual finality and wrapping things up might be sad, but it's usually for the best rather than dragging something on until it bcomes a mere shadow of itself and dies.

The endings we're looking at all seem like franchise starters, and probably weren't intended when the series was first conceived, hence an outcome that doesn't match the tone of the game.

From the perspective of wanting a franchise what these endings do are perfect. They remove the player created character from the universe as either being dead or vanished (ie a subtle implication of possible survival in some form from what I was reading), likewise it's possible that any of the Bioware created characters have lived, and as faces for the series could thus be used in other products. The amount of damage having been done to the universe allows an excuse to pretty much re-write lore by saying this or that was lost, or one species didn't survive, or another came to unusual prominance, or whatever, without being tied to the balance carefully constructed to the codex. Basically they could toss out a lot of the trappings of Mass Effect (aliens, etc...) without have to worry about pesky canon since they gave themselves an excuse to ignore it and slap the Mass Effect name on something vaguely similar if need be while claiming connection.

It's a classic gimimick with salable fantasy worlds, it's obnoxious, but apocolypses are good for business, the guys doing D&D learned long ago that they can make bank by periodically wiping out The Forgotten Realms in order to change things around, and re-sell sourcebooks on the same regions without having to do a lot of work, or worry about have changes in game mechanics between editions might cause problems with how history turned out (ie due to the removal of, or changes to spells or the casting requirements thereof that were used to justify the feats of certain cities, or how things played out at specific times).

Basically you could call this the Ma$$ Effect ending, the story being wrapped up in the way that was the best for marketing.

Incidently EA and Bioware (and really I'm going to point fingers at EA calling the shots no matter what Bioware says, because things HAVE changed since they took over), have probably learbned from comic books, RPGs, and other things, that fanboys are stupid. An ending that pisses people off can be an absolute marketing goldmine, because rather than just turning their back on a franchise after saying "that sucks", fanboys will whine but buy all the products hoping they will eventually "fix" things or recapture the old magic. Periodically throw out a bone or a hint that effect, and you can sell even the lamest products and tie
in events.

Look at it this way, for all of the fan rage does anyone for a second believe that a substantial number of pre-orders were cancelled by these reveals. Heck, I'd even suspect the leak was done on purpose (which is why Bioware confirmed the original script and so on) because raging fanboys will tend to buy a product just to see if it's as bad as they were hearing so they will have something to QQ about.

Just watch, come the 6th, Mass Effect 3 won't exactly be a failure. What's more this last minute "spoiler" has generated hype, and plenty of people who otherwise might not be following it are now having their attention drawn.

So really, EA/Bioware is probably just sitting there hissing "Yeeesss, give me your hate" with Papaltine-like glee, as continue to leech your money in an ever expanding flow as a result. While eagerly anticipating the cash-sucking franchise they have just created an ideal set up for (blank slate of a world due to a canon apocolypse, with a well loved name attached).

If you want to make a differance, don't buy Mass Effect 3, make sure nobody you know buys it. Enough people do this, and EA/Bioware will actually get theirs for once. However the odds of anyone really cancelling the game over this, never mind enough people to matter.. pretty much non-existant. We fanboys are nothing if not predictable, which is exactly why we see people exploiting us this way. We're like farm animals being harvested, we might not like it, but we are incapable of altering the behaviors that put us in that position... or to be more fear we refuse to alter those behaviors, in part because of our own herd. We remember Mass Effect being a big social thing in our community, that everyone could talk about, and don't want to miss out on being there for that again, even if the community all hates on it now, it's being part of something.

Ah well, I'm rambling, but that's my diverse thoughts on the subject.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
The reaction on their forum is so ridiculous that it's just plain funny. Foaming at the mouth rage is not called for at all (especially since they haven't played the game).

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Well damn, I want a dpressing as hell ending. Well, maybe not THAT depressing, maybe bittersweet with alot of bitter, but plain happy ending just don't do it for me. I don't want anyone responding with spoilers, I want the end to be completely unknown, but I'm okay with knowing that it won't be a dues ex macihna "the protheans created some weapon that will destroy all teh reapers with a push of a button."

The nerd rage is just a bit overwhelming, I would have thought that if you were a devote fan of the series you would have wanted to see the end IN THE GAME instead of reading it from another anrgy fan who got the game earlier. Honestly it seems like these people WANT to rage at bioware.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I'll actually go out on a limb and say this:

For all the shit that's gone on with ME3, I like that they're going with a "Fuck You" ending.

That's pretty bold for an EA indoctrinated company.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
Long ass snip that I totally agree with.
I totally agree with you, and I've been thinking along the same lines lately.

Since EA ate up Bioware, they pumped out 2 different franchises. And, in terms of what type of games Bioware likes to make, choice based games, franchise potential really seems to run in the opposite direction.

Like you pointed out with Jade Empire, the game is completely self contained, no obvious plans for a sequel, thus it allowed your choices to have more meaning. When they plan things as a franchise, but still allow the player to make choices, then the choices have to either effect relatively unimportant things, or the choices have to be limited, or are just different ways to get to the same area.

So, the way I see it is that if they did want to make multiple games in a series, each game would have to be relatively self contained. Dragon Age 2 kinda did this, the storyline for that game only had tangential relation to Origins', but then they had the ending of DA2 completely set up a sequel, thus falling into the "different ways to get to the same area" thing.

And like you said, I have no doubts that we'll see more Mass Effect, probably an MMO, which I can already say I won't be getting since I don't care for those. And also like you said, the endings essentially make continuity a non issue.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
You know, I think I would be okay with this if they didn't totally screw over the LIs as a whole. Shit can be totally bleak, but I want my Babycakes to snuggle up with when it's all said and done, or at least have it be possible in headcannon. I was not completely screwed over in ME2 with my LI only to be screwed over again.

Not only that, I can't have closure with ANYONE on my crew. It just makes me upset. I might just have to make my Shepard die because the idea of her being alive without her crew is just too depressing.

Thatrocketeer

Feb 16, 2012
Therumancer said:
Just watch, come the 6th, Mass Effect 3 won't exactly be a failure. What's more this last minute "spoiler" has generated hype, and plenty of people who otherwise might not be following it are now having their attention drawn.

So really, EA/Bioware is probably just sitting there hissing "Yeeesss, give me your hate" with Papaltine-like glee, as continue to leech your money in an ever expanding flow as a result. While eagerly anticipating the cash-sucking franchise they have just created an ideal set up for (blank slate of a world due to a canon apocolypse, with a well loved name attached).
This is what I was exactly thinking when I read the title of the OP. It's such an obvious marketing schtick to draw in hype from people. And with the looks of the situation in their forums, its like Bioware WANTS their fans to hate them, but we all know that will never happen. Biodrones will continue to bend over, buy, and defend to the death any game by Bioware.

Anyways, from the looks of things it looks like Mass effect will be the new TOR in the future.