Bioware games

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Ok,I am a MASSIVE Bioware fan and have just completed MDK 2 on my dreamcast. Not what you would call a bioware classic, but entertaining none the less.

Thing is, I have now played every Bioware game in existence, including their early games like baulders gate and shattered steel, and squeals to Bioware games made by different development teams like KotOR and Neverwinter nights 2. Put short, I need more.

SO, I wondered if anybody in the community knows of a game out their which is very similar to the bioware style, like a the DA, ME, jade empire sorta game.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
The first two Fallout games and Planescape torment.

Sadly, nobody makes those kinds of games anymore, Nu-Bioware included.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I don't know of any particularly similar games, but people who like Bioware games often seem to like Bethesda games so I'd take a crack at them.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Well, Planescape: Torment and Witcher 2 are WRPGs that are in a similar style and are (IMHO) even better than their Bioware equivalents.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and +1 to early fallout games, especially if you like old-school. Plus, if you enjoy those, New Vegas might be up your alley as well.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Cat of Doom said:
Ok,I am a MASSIVE Bioware fan and have just completed MDK 2 on my dreamcast. Not what you would call a bioware classic, but entertaining none the less.

Thing is, I have now played every Bioware game in existence, including their early games like baulders gate and shattered steel, and squeals to Bioware games made by different development teams like KotOR and Neverwinter nights 2. Put short, I need more.

SO, I wondered if anybody in the community knows of a game out their which is very similar to the bioware style, like a the DA, ME, jade empire sorta game.
Did you play Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood? I just found out this info the other day that they made it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
BloodSquirrel said:

What did you expect?
There's no need for such games anymore since the graphics have improved and it doesn't limit the possibilities of gameplay like it used to.
I'm not saying that these games are bad, I love Fallout 1& 2 (Interface for Planescape torment was SSSHHHIIITTT...).

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
TheIronRuler said:
BloodSquirrel said:

What did you expect?
There's no need for such games anymore since the graphics have improved and it doesn't limit the possibilities of gameplay like it used to.
I'm not saying that these games are bad, I love Fallout 1& 2 (Interface for Planescape torment was SSSHHHIIITTT...).
Graphics isn't the reason why Fallout plays the TB way it does. Action games have existed since videogaming.
Fallout was first intended to be a GURPS game, because the devs liked GURPS.
It ended up a derivative.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
TheIronRuler said:
What did you expect?
Yeah, just like we don't need games like Chess or Go around anymore since we have COD now.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines could be a good pick.

Be warned that it's about 80% of a really good game and 20% of a fairly shit one. It's still worth it for the 80%, but don't say I didn't warn you. Get the fan patch too, it fixes most of the bugs and makes the game playable.

[sub]And what the fuck was up with that shark demon sidequest?[/sub]

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
BloodSquirrel said:
TheIronRuler said:
What did you expect?
Yeah, just like we don't need games like Chess or Go around anymore since we have COD now.
When they made their games at the time there were many limitations.
One could argue that due to the limitations ingenuity rose its pretty head and sprinkled fairy dust on the game.
I know that today one could preform without many of the limitations ten years ago. Depends on your poin of view it may be good or bad.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
New Vegas, baby. Best game out in years, in my humble opinion.

At least on the PC, with heavy modding.
NV was made my Obsidian not Bioware.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
TheIronRuler said:
One could argue that due to the limitations ingenuity rose its pretty head and sprinkled fairy dust on the game.
Or you could argue that some people just liked that style of game, and that no amount of technology is going to let a dumbed-down action game fill that niche.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
ash-brewster said:
Pandabearparade said:

He's asking for games like BioWare games.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Just get games by Obsidian since most of them are pretty similar to Bioware games. KOTOR II, NWN2 and its expansions, and Alpha Protocol.

Some older games like Planescape: Torment have simlarities to Bioware games as well.

If you want a shitty Bioware Ripoff and I do mean shitty, then get Rise of the Argonauts. (this game is pretty shitty but I actually liked it.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Well there's the obvious three names that pop up: Troika, Black Isle and Obsidian. All computer rpg developers in the same vein as Bioware.

Unfortunately of those developers two are closed, on the plus side one is just the rebirth of the other. When Black Isle closed down most of the developers including the leads such as Feargus Urquhart, lead developer of the old Fallout games, and Chris Avellone, lead for Planescape Torment, went on to found Obsidian. That's why Obsidian tend to get so much work, it's formed by some of the biggest hitters in the rpg industry and, bugs aside, they create some of the most compelling experience out there. They've also got probably the best team of writers in the business though it often seems like they've also got the worst Q&A and testing departments.

Troika unfortunately closed down but not before making three fantastic and unique games. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, which is like a steampunk Fallout. Temple of Elemental Evil, which is probably the most faithful interpretation of a D&D campaign in gaming (For better or worse). And Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, often considered their best game though it too was not without its plentiful flaws.

Whatever the case all three are worth looking into as well as everything Black Isle and Obsidian have put out.

A few other suggestions are Divine Divinity, which is like a weird mix of Diablo and Fallout with a splash of Baldur's Gate. Strange game, but also really good! Arx Fatalis is a fun dungeon-crawly experience, though its more akin to Bethesda than Bioware. And The Witcher series are worth looking into as well. If you like the 'old school' rpg you'll probably love the Witcher series.

There are others, but those are the ones which pop into mind right now. Have fun!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
ash-brewster said:
Pandabearparade said:

Captain obvious strikes again!