BioWare Hit By Hackers

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
Jamash said:
I got that e-mail too and had to reset my EA password, despite never having owned, played or signed up to anything related to Neverwinter Nights.
I too got this mail, despite never having had a Neverwinter Nights account... are we sure this thing is real? Or are other titles than NWN affected?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Wow, look at that. A company fessing up to being hacked almost immediately after it happened! I sure am glad all companies do that, aren't you? :D
Mad Stalin said:
This is hillarious, you'd think they'd do a check up on their security with all the recent hacks... Guess that just goes to show they don't care about the consumer
You, sir, are quite possibly trolling. How long did it take for Sony to come clean about their MAJOR hack? Yes, BioWare could have been more protected, but this was a server for a very old game. How many people expect things that are so out of date to be in danger of any serious threat?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
AnnaIME said:
Jamash said:
I got that e-mail too and had to reset my EA password, despite never having owned, played or signed up to anything related to Neverwinter Nights.
I too got this mail, despite never having had a Neverwinter Nights account... are we sure this thing is real? Or are other titles than NWN affected?
I'm not sure. I'm guessing that either EA were being really cautions or paranoid and sent that e-mail to everyone to reset their passwords, or maybe more than that old server was hacked and they're just using last week's Neverwinter Nights hacking story to cover up what really went down.

EA's digital distribution service, Origin, is launching soon and it will use the same account as the ones they reset the password for, so maybe they're just being extra cautious and covering themselves... however I am very suspicious as to why I had to change my password because of a game I've never played - if the e-mail wasn't genuine and hadn't taken me to the official EA website, I would swear it was a phishing scam.

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
Jamash said:
AnnaIME said:
Jamash said:
I'm not sure. I'm guessing that either EA were being really cautions or paranoid and sent that e-mail to everyone to reset their passwords, or maybe more than that old server was hacked and they're just using last week's Neverwinter Nights hacking story to cover up what really went down.

EA's digital distribution service, Origin, is launching soon and it will use the same account as the ones they reset the password for, so maybe they're just being extra cautious and covering themselves... however I am very suspicious as to why I had to change my password because of a game I've never played - if the e-mail wasn't genuine and hadn't taken me to the official EA website, I would swear it was a phishing scam.
Oh dear, I just deleted the e-mail, thinking it was a variation on the mails I keep getting from "Blizzard".

Just checked. Yes, my password for The Sims 3 no longer works. It seems sensitive information may be at risk. I have never used the Store, but those who buy simpoints have to enter their credit card number, don't they?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Hackers hit BioWare? Time for the gloves to come off, if I ever meet a hacker IRL, and he tells me he's from Lulzsec or something, cops getting called right away, I'm done with their shit, ruining everyone elses fun. Fuck hackers. Do something creative and steal info from Iran or something.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
TheAceTheOne said:
Kopikatsu said:
TheAceTheOne said:
BoogieManFL said:
Thrust said:
2011 = Year of hackers
Year of the douchebags who attack innocent parties and make people have to work even more overtime than they already do which in turn affects their personal lives, etc etc. Fucking hackers need to seriously fuck off. GOOD FOR YOU. Go away a now.
I second that opinion. Hope all the hackers who have been in the news lately (Except Anon, maybe) all get arrested. And then get fed to alligators. After being beaten with sharp sticks.
Alot of different Anonymous splinter groups (Like AnonOps and AnonymousNews) support LulzSec.

So Anon can go be fed to horrible spikey things, too.
The good, non-Lulzsec Anon members are the only ones exempt from fiery hell.
There are no good Anon except those who left.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
TheAceTheOne said:
Kopikatsu said:
TheAceTheOne said:
BoogieManFL said:
Thrust said:
2011 = Year of hackers
Year of the douchebags who attack innocent parties and make people have to work even more overtime than they already do which in turn affects their personal lives, etc etc. Fucking hackers need to seriously fuck off. GOOD FOR YOU. Go away a now.
I second that opinion. Hope all the hackers who have been in the news lately (Except Anon, maybe) all get arrested. And then get fed to alligators. After being beaten with sharp sticks.
Alot of different Anonymous splinter groups (Like AnonOps and AnonymousNews) support LulzSec.

So Anon can go be fed to horrible spikey things, too.
The good, non-Lulzsec Anon members are the only ones exempt from fiery hell.
There are no good Anon except those who left.
I'm not sure what you mean, guy.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
I swear, everyday I look at gaming news, somebody is being hacked! This is ridiculous! What? "We managed to take Sony offline, so now everyone else is fair game?" Is that it?

Sigh. It's reasons like this as to why I hate society.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I still play this game, and used the forums as a sort of FAQ.

To be blunt, this sucks, this sucks hard, but luckily I had an old bioware account, not an EA one, so I'm good.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare Hit By Hackers

"We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused our customers and fans," Flynn wrote. "If your username, email address and/or password on your Neverwinter Nights account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well."

This has no bearing on the story whatsoever, but when I read that sentence my mind immediately flashed to Tron: Legacy.

OT: Perhaps, in a couple decades or so, we'll have some kind of rebel hacker team fighting the injustices of some corrupt institution which they can make into some kind of movie or something, but what nobody wants to see is BioWare being hacked, especially the forum servers of one of their better games. There are more important and definitely less well-meaning things out there on the Internet to attack.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Littaly said:
Huh? This was real?

I got the e-mail this morning but I assumed it was a phishing scam o_O
Me too, it looked so fake, just a plain text document. I didn't think it was real at all.

At this point though, I've not touched NWN for years and whatever details of mine someone may have got are completely worthless. So I guess I'm safe.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
In hindsight, I'm increasingly glad that I missed out on a lot of popular gaming trends during my earlier years.