BioWare Launches Survey to Help Direct Mass Effect 4

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
They should worry less about marketing and stop trying to please everyone. They should just do a damn good game that they are proud to call their own. A great game is a work of art, and although good commercial artists are aware of their public sensibilities, they do not keep trying to please everyone, they do what they think is best.

Look at Diablo 3. It is a game that never left development and that it is still mediocre. A game without vision nor personality with Blizzard trying to run after all their fans in all directions. The amount of time and money they placed in that game after launch is scary and the title still fails to impress.

They will never do a great game if they worry too much about the market and the marketing.
The more they care about it, the less interesting are their games. Focus on gameplay, people. Man, I hate marketing driven companies (and I am a marketing professional). They just lose their soul.

It may also be just a marketing ploy to appease the fans with very little actual influence on the matter. Which is also terrible.

TLDR: this pool is a bad idea if they do not intend to listen and an even worse idea if they do.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Trishbot said:
AntiChri5 said:
Eiv said:
Did the survey, hopefully they are actually constructive and don't just make the game a beige pile of goo. Listen to people but still use common sense.
Honestly, that's BioWare's biggest problem. They listen to outside commentary far too much, rather then being confident.
To be fair, the "outside commentary" resulted in a significantly improved ending compared to the original ME3 conclusion, as well as shaping what was easily the best DLC of the game with Citadel.

Sometimes the fans know what they're talking about. I think Bioware is actually smart enough to know when to listen to GOOD feedback and when to filter out the white noise.
I guess one thing is to provide direction. They should not need this. If they do, we will have a bad game.
Another thing is to pay attention on the sensibilities of their crowd (Citadel DLC).
And another thing is to be force fed a humble pie after a terrible piece of work in a beloved franchise (the ME3 ending).
The survey is a terrible idea. Bioware is very lost in the marketing department (as most of the big companies are nowadays).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I don't see the point if its a pre quel or side sequel....

for me its actual sequel or nothing, and MABYE the only way I'll ever feel right about the series again

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
Eiv said:
Did the survey, hopefully they are actually constructive and don't just make the game a beige pile of goo. Listen to people but still use common sense.
Honestly, that's BioWare's biggest problem. They listen to outside commentary far too much, rather then being confident.
except last time they were "confident".....well mabye it was only that one guy

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Fulbert said:
Guys, I might've messed everything up. I wrote I wasn't looking forward to any aspect of the new Mass Effect because as far as I'm concerned Mass Effect is effectively a massive dating sim series and I can't think of any other aspect it excels at.
Ah fuck, I wrote that all I've been playing lately is persona 3 and 4. Between the two of us Mass Effect 4 is just going to be about an average Japanese high school student who has to fight reapers while managing a part time job and a relationship with a special someone.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Nothing says you know exactly what you're doing like asking your fans to help you make it the best game in the series.

Not that it matters. The original trilogy was bungled to high heavens by the actual Bioware, and now the new game has been handed off to a five year old dev team with no actual titles to their name that was slapped with the name Bioware to trick people into thinking that the actual Edmonton team is making the games they make. Of course, they're not, but EA would rather people not know that the Bioware continuing the franchise isn't the Bioware everyone actually thinks of when they hear the name.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Anything that will help Bioware and I'm in. I just hope they take their time to do things properly so that we get a 'true' Bioware game.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
evilthecat said:
I hate to point this out but.. it's a marketing survey.
Approaching it as such, I mentioned how I dislike EA in every field that allowed it.

Maybe the advertising will skip all EA logos?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
which could indicate a rushed deadline.
Yeah...too bad that EA actually extended Bioware's time to finish ME3 by pushing it from November 2011 to March 2012.

OT: Just make it a mash up of ME1's universe building and customisation, ME2's companions and ME3's combat and it'll be fine.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I took the survey but I don't think it was that helpful because it was basically me drooling and yelling: "I'm looking forward to everything!!! Please announce it so I can pre-order!!!"

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I did the survey. Hopefully they realise how important a good story is to the whole thing this time around

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
bug_of_war said:
OT: Just make it a mash up of ME1's universe building and customisation, ME2's companions and ME3's combat and it'll be fine.
I know I'm committing the cardinal sin of fanboyism according to Yatzhee, but basically this. I would also love to see an expanded multiplayer, minus the fucking random rewards system!

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Fox12 said:
Fulbert said:
Guys, I might've messed everything up. I wrote I wasn't looking forward to any aspect of the new Mass Effect because as far as I'm concerned Mass Effect is effectively a massive dating sim series and I can't think of any other aspect it excels at.
Ah fuck, I wrote that all I've been playing lately is persona 3 and 4. Between the two of us Mass Effect 4 is just going to be about an average Japanese high school student who has to fight reapers while managing a part time job and a relationship with a special someone.
Oh crap. I've been playing Personas too! Now it's decided, I suppose.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
These surveys are the thing that ruined mass effect to begin with.

ME1 was great. It had its flaws, sure, but it was horribly immersive. Then they started making ME2, and when news started appearing how they have a list of things that people complained about and that they'll be fixing all of the complaints.. well.. it didn't sound promising. You can never please everybody.

So ME2 was still good, but way, way more "gamey". Way less immersive. Some changes I felt were totally welcome, like reduced inventory management, but they simplified a lot of things so far that it felt less like your interactive story and more like yet another game.

I was a big fan of ME universe at this point, and even bought the books. Then ME3 was announced. Apparently the main writer left the team at some point. Things were promised to become even more mainstream-friendly.

I never played ME3, so I don't know, first hand, how badly things went there. Thanks, origin.

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
I got some ideas for future Mass Effect games that I humbly submitted:

- What if in a future Mass Effect game we are able to play AS any of the squad mates? The protagonist will always be present, and he will go through the story and dialogue options, but in addition to selecting the squad mates we can select the one we want to control.

That way, people can play as Asari or Krogan like they always wanted, but are not stuck with that race throughout the entire game.

- A space celebrity: a Krogan opera singer.

- Miranda takes over Cerberus as the Illusive Woman - maybe change the name to Lazarus.

- A super Relay is build to travel to another galaxy like the Andromeda Nebula.

- A level takes place on a gigantic tank of a hundred meters or so long with multiple levels.

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
this is a good idea and can help work out what people want and like but can go wrong super fast,
i have faith, one bad ending does not mean that the entirety of mass effect is ruined.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I took rather a lot of glee filling out the 'What games have you played in the last two weeks' box with Etrian Odyssey Untold, Dynasty Warriors 8, Civilization 5 and King of Dragon Pass.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Trishbot said:
To be fair, the "outside commentary" resulted in a significantly improved ending compared to the original ME3 conclusion, as well as shaping what was easily the best DLC of the game with Citadel.
Agree completely. When I've replayed ME3, I basically play the entire game up to Cronos Station, do The Citadel and stop.

Years later, that last couple missions fill me with anger and geek-rage.