BioWare Looks to "Baldur's Gate Roots" for Dragon Age: Origins

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
A return to the spirit of Baldur's Gate would be great. There hasn't been a game like that released in ages. While I enjoyed Mass Effect, I was disappointed that it wasn't longer, that the characters didn't have more to say, and that 60% of the 'playable' portions of the game were just rehashes of the same fight repeated for as many planets there are outside of the main story.

I hope that Dragon Age ushers in a return to the dungeon design of old, where there was more to those dank pits of evil than just a place for you to kill a bunch of things.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
thejtrain said:
Anachronism said:
I just really hope they throw in an Easter egg that somehow involves Minsc.
I'm right there with you - I'm only just now in the last third of BG1 (yeah, kind of catching up on the "roots" before Dragon Age rocks my world), and Minsc is my favorite NPC.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, WATCH IT - I'm HUGE!"
"...and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right, Boo?"
I'm actually playing through Throne of Bhaal at the moment, and trust me, Minsc only gets better as time goes along. He gets even more insane, and has any number of quotable lines in BGII. I won't spoil any of them for you though; I'll let you hear them for yourself. :)

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
By the time this comes out I'll have a new high end laptop to rip through it, so I won't be left out of the RPG of the year.

Dogstar060763

Jul 28, 2008
You guys should try Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (Multi). Very reminiscent of Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Dungeon Siege and D&D:Heroes. Plus, you only have look after and play as yourself: no irritating team management.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Dogstar060763 said:
You guys should try Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (Multi). Very reminiscent of Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Dungeon Siege and D&D:Heroes. Plus, you only have look after and play as yourself: no irritating team management.
Baldur's Gate is nothing like Diablo or Dungeon Siege, and it does feature team management...

The videos and screenshots don't really reveal anything about the gameplay. All information is to be gathered from the 2008 E3 information. These are the things I really like:

* Rather than being turn-based, it is pause-and-play tactical. You can pause at any time and issue commands in a command queue.

* The camera provides an over-the-shoulder viewpoint when zoomed in, or an isometric-style viewpoint when zoomed out.

* There is a maximium of 4 party members at any time. (PC + 3 companions). You can choose party members from a pool of more than 3. Additional, temporary controllable characters that are not members of your party may assist you from time to time. [georg zoeller, personal communication, 19/07/08]

Yay for isometric point of view!

Mar 29, 2009
Does this mean my party members will have in depth and complex back sotries and personalities that will make it more fun keeping them alive than me?