BioWare Loses Another Key Player

tehwalrus

Sep 3, 2008
I'm just glad they finished the mass effect trilogy before losing all of the talent. From this point forward just think of Bioware as defunct and the new company as BioEAer. (bio-ee-ay-er)

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Bioware is losing people faster than the Old Republic is losing subscribers.
No shit dude. Bioware actually has employees while TOR has no subscribers, so...

Nah, jokes aside. I wonder how much of this is just sensationalism. I mean, sure, some key players have left Bioware in the last few months, but if we turned our eye to Bethesda, would we have seen just as many people leave after finishing Skyrim?

I have no idea, but it would be interesting to know.
No you would not. Bethesda has maintained itself quite nicely. Obsidian as well.

There is no doubt that Bioware is no longer the same company. I liked their last games, but they lacked soul or identity...it was a nice, but sad experience playing them.

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
Honestly after ME3, I can't wait to see Bioware die. I want it gutted and the IP sold off then I want EA to collapse. Fuck them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Things aren't looking good. When all the people who talk the biggest about what Bioware is supposed to be about are running for the hills, the fort can't stand for long. Good luck to him in his endeavors. Smart move though, you don't want to be the last guy who cares about this stuff when everyone else just wants to collect a paycheck.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Whatever else might be said, it's refreshing to see an insider not enamoured with the social media plague. :p

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Combine Rustler said:
OT: Yeah, we've certainly seen this kind of thing with EA before. And we've seen where it lead, too. Time and again. Doesn't necessarily mean Bioware is gonna eat its gun anytime soon, but hey. One can never now.
'

It's not so much a matter of a sudden bullet, as it is like the way some insects devour their prey by injecting it with digestive juices and then suckling the resulting soup, before tossing the remaining empty shell to the side, maybe after briefly wearing it as a novelty hat first.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
Honestly after ME3, I can't wait to see Bioware die. I want it gutted and the IP sold off then I want EA to collapse. Fuck them.
I'd normally say 'that's too harsh', but given EA's track record, and given what we're seeing happen (history repeating itself), maybe a quick bullet to the head is better than a drawn-out suffering.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
1337mokro said:
Calling it now. Dragon Age 3 will be Biowares last game.
sadly, i agree. with so much of the staff that made games we all loved gone (are any even left?) i can imagine dragon age 3 will be their last big game, and i hope to god they knock it out of the park, but i doubt it.
and even if they do, after the end of the mass effect trilogy, tor being somewhere in-between success and flop (you didn't flop if you start with 2 million subscribers who played day one. that's 30 million dollars at LEAST, plus the cost of the game itself (which was how much? 30$? 40$?) which means another nearly hundred million dollars. thats out of the gate success, but i digress)

after all that, even if DA3 does well, i want them to die. die so that your work does not go to be perverted, so that you end on a note worthy of respect, rather than a slow, whimpering death, years after abandonment by those who once loved you. and i know thats not how business works, you dont end right after success, though the employees could rally together and quit, which would have everyone agree that, effectively, effectively yeah, bioware is gone.

but that is all an ideal world. before something like that can happen, 2 publishing giants must be toppled, burnt, and broken into so many pieces that are each disassembled on a molecular level, so that they have no hope of restoring what once was of their tyranny.

kinda sad really. i used to be one of the ones who hoped that bioware could continue and make good stuff for years to come. that the mass effect universe might go and become something beautiful and diverse and multi-media, a bit like starwars. but yeah, thats probably not going to happen. not now.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
ah yes, forgot that tidbit. i could care less about ea's existence, if only they didn't own so many damn IPs that i like.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
jollybarracuda said:
So that's now 2 people who have joined Bethesda right after leaving BioWare? Interesting...but at the same time, i like it. Bethesda at least attempts to make quality RPGs. I think, with Skyrim, they spent too much time crafting an excellent world, rather than fleshing out a proper RPG experience, but it's still better than how EA/BioWare turned Mass Effect into a shooting gallery. Interested to see where this all goes, or if it will make a difference at all.

captcha: caesar salad
HAIL CAESAR!
I think if Bethesda and Bioware co developed an Elder Scrolls RPG it would be the greatest game.

Imagine Bethesda lore and map design with Bioware character design and polish. I want it NAOW!

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
I don't know... it's a bit sad, but is it too early to say that Bioware is getting hollowed out, and is going to become a shell of its former self? I just don't know... I feel bad for some reason, when dedicated game designers quit/forced out of their jobs because reception for their work wasn't 100 percent positive just bugs the hell out of me.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Fappy said:
cahtush said:
Fappy said:
There is no way all these departures are going to look good to the shareholders.
No... NO!
You replaced the cat!
Nooooooooooo!
WHY!?

OT: Looks like ToRtanic is becoming Bioware-tanic... or something like that.
Yeah, I done changed it. Made a thread regarding it in OT as well XP
Dam that's Fappy?! I couldn't even recognize him!

In another news: E A SPORTS

ITS IN THE GAME

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Fappy said:
There is no way all these departures are going to look good to the shareholders.
Wait... dafuq happened to your avatar?

OT: I'm not sure how I feel about this, I mean it's going to definitely hurt Bioware, but it might just be what they need to break free from EA. Maybe it's EA execs blaming Bioware's veterans for listening to them and making a game set to EA standards, and then having that game completely flop and all the Bioware employees are leaving. Or maybe the talented people still at Bioware will all leave and create their own studio as far away from EA as possible.

I swear to God, if EA kills out Bioware like they did with Pandemic studios...

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Akisa said:
Is there a sinking ship and the bioware employees are likes rats?
I like to think of this as a special case. Keep thinking it as a ship, but more like this.

Washed up, beached, unable to slip into the depths to be lost forever. It's broken and battered for all to see, and it can not die. (EA slaver will not let the waves take it).

It's a tragic sight isn't it?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Rocklobster99 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Daniel Erickson, the lead designer and creative director on Star Wars: The Old Republic, has left BioWare.
And nothing of value was lost.
He was the lead writer, not entirely sure why he's been given two titles but not his actual, most obvious one.