BioWare Pits Blonde Against Brunette in New FemShep Poll

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Blindrooster said:
Gota go with the brunette. THe red haired one reminds me too much of Scarlett Johanson.
You say that like it's a bad thing?

OT: Anyone know how I can vote for this? I see no like button on their facebook page, especially not for the individual pictures.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Red! Red!

I created my Commander Shepard for the first time this afternoon, and gave her the shortest hair possible (too short; I would've preferred more customization); 2 missions in, and a line from Kill Bill popped into my head "The woman to her right, who looks like a villain from Star Trek..."

...and immediately, Shepard boarded a starship. Nice.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Tin Man said:
So much hostility and bitterness on the subject. I wonder if anyone ever stopped to think it's possible that you might both be right. That the same artists who can't bring themselves design a female character without gigantic tits also can't conceive of any male hero besides a generic Kohl's underwear model with The Large. The problem is that you have people creating these characters who don't have a very broad background outside of comics, games, and animu, and it shows. And fortunately for them, these people are creating games for the same type of audience with the same expectations.

Yes, it's partly sexist, and it's partly just shallow childhood inspirations influencing games. I'd like to see more interesting characters in general. The main characters in Mass Effect all look boring as hell.

Mar 26, 2008
TheFPSisDead said:
am i the only one who thinks that hair style is awful?
Nope. It looks a bit greasy.
I preferred the Bettie Page cut one of the original pictures had. Hence I'm voting for the black-haired femshep this time.

fibchopkin

Feb 22, 2011
Tin Man said:
So I take it you're super pissed every time that a muscled, stoic and gristled man is portrayed as the only type of bloke capable of saving the day? Typically a white one to boot?

I'm not being funny either, I'm literally just asking you a question.

What I will say though, is that the idea that this being the first time Bioware are trying this out, and that this experiment is with a female character, and that this is is a bad thing, is a bit of a silly argument. Nothing happens until it happens, and I take it you think that it has to happen with a male character first for it to be relevant? Why? Why can't this be done with a female first, I see nothing wrong with it.

In this whole damn fiasco, I honestly think that it's the people like yourself who need to ask themselves questions, because you seem to have a real problem with attractive women dude. People in your camp seem pretty pissed that Commander Shepherd could even *be* an attractive female, like looking good is immediately a negative when applied to a woman. Let us not forget that ME posterboy ManShep(Mark Vanderloo) is literally a Calvin Klein model.

Am I to take it that this is what men are *supposed* to look like? Should I consider myself less of a person because someone damn near physically perfect is representing men, as opposed to a slim, kind of pale guy who needs a shave, like say, me? Or someone who looks like a bit of a thug, like real world soldiers tend to?

Where the fuck was the internet vitriol when that face was put on the box?
And it's your lot that supposedly support women? with friends like you guys...

It's also completely ironic that the Sci-Fi world is giving us one MORE powerful female character, and you're getting an unprecedented level of choice in her at that, and all a lot of gamers seem to want to do is piss on her. For shame.

It's good to not be suspended anymore...
I defintiely see where you're coming from, and a part of me thinks it's really cool that Bioware is acknowledging the female fan base and the general love for FemShep. It's a neat idea on paper; "The fans have cried for FemShep, let's give her to them, and as an added bonus, let's let them have a hand in her design!" I'm sure that Bioware was driven by both that ^ and by the fact that this campaign would generate a lot of publicity for the game. Neither of those things are bad per se, but any time you subject a character as beloved as Commander Shepard to a "popularity contest" you're going to have issues.

As a female Army vet, I have seen, first hand, stunningly beautiful women in command who are fully capable of kicking ass and staying cool under fire. Noone who has spent any time in Iraq should be able to dispute that beautiful, young women are capable of both acheiving rank and being exemplary commanders. That said, I have NEVER, in 18 years as an army brat, 6 years as a soldier, and three years as an Army wife, seen a woman acheive the rank of O-5 or higher and look as young as the currently depicted commander shepard. This is the side of me that feels like the rabidly feminist protesters have a point. I'm not unduly offended by Shep's youthful appearance personally. Hollywood is Hollywood and it has set a youthful standard for feminine American Media beauty for a long time. The fresh young face of Shep is just part of the trend. But it is possible for me to understand where the haters are coming from: ShepLoo may wear the face of a CK model, but I don't think anyone can say that he doesn't LOOK every 31 (or 29, depending on the way you interpret the "I was dead" timeline) of his hard years, and apparantly, that's okay. Why then, is it not okay for our FemShep to be a beautiful, kickass woman who looks her age?

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
To me the colors looked blonde, red, black, and brown. Logan obviously sees it differently. Blonde looks a bit young, red is good for any occasion, black looks the most menacing/emo, and brown the most natural. Think I'll go with the brunette then, but there surely is something about red-haired girls...

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
Red or black hair for femshep. Accept no substitutes!

My 2 saves I had with femshep were black and red haired, so... bias from me :p

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
It's already been a while, can we skip the talent contest and go straight to the bikini round?

Artic Xiongmao

Nov 9, 2008
Are these people fucking kidding?

In the future depicted in Mass Effect, people live up to 150 years ("If they're lucky"). So let's just assume a thirty something or forty year old man or woman looks younger than we are used to.

Everyone happy?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
My Shepard is already redheaded. The blonde one looks pretty good as well (the first one, the one on the left).