BioWare Reaps Forgiveness From FTC Complainant

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Yeh some people like the extended cut for its "emotional" value. When I saw what they had done on youtube I uninstalled Origin and Mass Effect 1 & 2. What a shame how the series deviated from an original idea of dark matter for some half-wit plot about synthetics vs organics. Still I hope people now realise that once EA gets involved the decline of the series is inevitable.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
1337mokro said:
I actually think it has moved the industry forward 5 to 10 years. Customers have had very little influence over companies in the past years. Publishers are getting bigger and bigger and the people got drowned out.

Now however we have fans banding together to get things done. Petitions now actually do influence a companies policy.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the OUTRAGE and PETITIONS after X-com became a third person shooter. Thanks to that outrage I will be playing an awesome top down, turn based strategy game this very October. But the emotions were the exact same. "HOW DARE THEY TURN X-COM INTO A SHOOTER!"

Yet somehow these people aren't entitled? These people are suddenly not whiny, angry, bitter, resentful or whatever? How come? Is it because they are angry about an not yet released game? Or is it because they aren't demanding change something you liked?

Neither do I hear people complain about Dark Souls being petitioned to the PC. We are now slowly entering an era where consumer content is something that is being valued. The only company I could think of before now that actually listened to fans and adapted things according to their desires was Valve.

I don't think I have to remind you why Valve thinks listening to feedback from fans is a good idea.

The simple fact here is. You like the endings. Therefore anyone having the AUDACITY to DEMAND these endings to be altered is wrong and entitled. It's just your opinion. In my opinion customer rage is actually getting things done that it couldn't before. Companies are finally listening. It's sad that they only listen to shouting. But at least we have their ear.

Now as for my personal opinion about the endings. Still mediocre, there just is no way they could have made a good ending whilst still leaving the series open for more sequels. They compromised their precious artistic integrity for profit by not giving a conclusive ending.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.379604-Entitlement-You-Should-Know-These-Definitions

Anyways, the big difference here is the fact that this guy tried to SUE. I'm all for petitions and the like, but suing is reprehensible.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
lacktheknack said:
1337mokro said:
I actually think it has moved the industry forward 5 to 10 years. Customers have had very little influence over companies in the past years. Publishers are getting bigger and bigger and the people got drowned out.

Now however we have fans banding together to get things done. Petitions now actually do influence a companies policy.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the OUTRAGE and PETITIONS after X-com became a third person shooter. Thanks to that outrage I will be playing an awesome top down, turn based strategy game this very October. But the emotions were the exact same. "HOW DARE THEY TURN X-COM INTO A SHOOTER!"

Yet somehow these people aren't entitled? These people are suddenly not whiny, angry, bitter, resentful or whatever? How come? Is it because they are angry about an not yet released game? Or is it because they aren't demanding change something you liked?

Neither do I hear people complain about Dark Souls being petitioned to the PC. We are now slowly entering an era where consumer content is something that is being valued. The only company I could think of before now that actually listened to fans and adapted things according to their desires was Valve.

I don't think I have to remind you why Valve thinks listening to feedback from fans is a good idea.

The simple fact here is. You like the endings. Therefore anyone having the AUDACITY to DEMAND these endings to be altered is wrong and entitled. It's just your opinion. In my opinion customer rage is actually getting things done that it couldn't before. Companies are finally listening. It's sad that they only listen to shouting. But at least we have their ear.

Now as for my personal opinion about the endings. Still mediocre, there just is no way they could have made a good ending whilst still leaving the series open for more sequels. They compromised their precious artistic integrity for profit by not giving a conclusive ending.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.379604-Entitlement-You-Should-Know-These-Definitions

Anyways, the big difference here is the fact that this guy tried to SUE. I'm all for petitions and the like, but suing is reprehensible.
Did he? I know he filed a complaint with the FTC, but that is not the same thing as suing.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
putowtin said:
Scars Unseen said:
And urgent? Is there some kid I'm not aware of who is dying of cancer and whose last wish is to see the Indoctrination Theory made canon or something?
My best friend Charlie passed away on the 10th of June, she would have loved to have seen this ending, she would have loved the sense of closure that this gave that the original ending lacked. However she's now chilling with Hendrix and Da Vinci (two of her heros), though knowing Charlie she's probably bending their ears with the "Indoctrination Theory"
Is that true? The mental image is funny, but I don't want to be laughing if it's true.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
lacktheknack said:
1337mokro said:

Did he? I know he filed a complaint with the FTC, but that is not the same thing as suing.
Gah, I'm mixing up my ME3 failstories.

Maybe this guy didn't, but a lawsuit WAS being discussed publicly by other players. It all got out of hand, and those involved in it should be ashamed.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
The extended cut wasn't even needed.

All it did was explicitly state what was otherwise perfectly clear to anyone with braincells worth anything.

Seriously I preferred the original endings because they let ME draw the conclusions instead of going the usual toddler route and explain absolutely everything for me (which is beginning to get on my nerves. I like to work stuff out myself. I don't want to have everything explicitly told).

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
I though the law suit was over false advertising, which the new ending did not fix in the slightest.

People are stupid.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Blade_125 said:
I though the law suit was over false advertising, which the new ending did not fix in the slightest.

People are stupid.
No lawsuit was involved in the topic you posted in. Read the article before calling people stupid.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Cid SilverWing said:
YOU!

FUCKING!!

IMBECILE!!!

My mind physically imploded from the sheer level of hypocrisy and complacency here. The "extended cut" didn't fix anything, it just made the issue all the more urgent!

How many of you are betting he got sent embarassing amounts of cash in the bank to praise this garbage? I mean come on!
Yeah! How dare he have a different opinion of the extended cut than you! The nerve of that man... o_O

And urgent? Is there some kid I'm not aware of who is dying of cancer and whose last wish is to see the Indoctrination Theory made canon or something?
We didn't like your ending. You have 2 months to get all your actors and writers back together, designers and artists, and redesign it all completely from nothing. Then it has to be free and pass certification.
Sarcasm Mode Deactivated
I'm with you. As far as damage control is concerned, you couldn't ask for better. If you do, then you are being unrealistic.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I don't care about anyone's justifications. If you can sit there and honestly say that an ending to a game, an inconsequential piece of fiction that has no effect whatsoever in the real, important, world. An ending that barely even registers on the "Bad-Game-Endingometer" (ME3 ending is hardly good but come on, it's nowhere near the worst and only the worst warrants anything near this backlash) of gaming history winds you up to the point you're joining movements and roping in a charity for you're own publicity then I reserve the right to laugh in your face and point out how pathetic you are and generally dismiss you and your obvious case of the foaming-mouth crazy virus.

I also the reserve the right to ignore and dismiss the pseudo-intellectual babel that will inevitably be levelled at me in defence of your particular brand of arse gravy that leads you to boycott an entire company based on a few minutes of aforementioned irrelevance. I guess "I reserve things" is the general crux of this lengthy hashing together of brain dribbling I'm trying to pass off as communication.

And yes the "You" doesn't specifically mean "You" reading this right now and frothing at the mouth because someone dares question the all knowing, infallible knowledge of "Whateverthefuckyournameis" I'm just lumping you all together into a neat little group so I can easily and efficiently fulfil my quota of shouting at things that confuse me shake stick lawn etc. But I don't specifically mean you, I'm just laughing at those other losers. No you're clearly level headed and rational and get along with overs despite your differing opinions, I'm on your side, lets laugh at those other fools behind their backs and grab a latte.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
lacktheknack said:
1337mokro said:

Far as I know the suing was just a FTC complaint. A complaint about how the game used false advertising of "choices that matter" and "16 different endings" to lure people in.

As I see it that is the BEST thing ever to have happened. A complaint about false advertising that was taken SERIOUS by the FTC director? Scaring a publisher into carefully thinking about the blurb on the box rather than just throwing out random features.

I honestly believe the original ME3 had 16 endings before the editing scissors came back in. Even the Extended cut has 9 endings at the most. So the problem is still there. They actually used false advertising.

This wasn't like the "Best game ever" advertisement that is allowed because it is opinion based. This was a complaint/lawsuit over literal false advertisement. The game says 16 endings. I count at best 9. 6 before the EC.

That is like buying a 42 inch TV and opening the box up only to find out it is a 36 inch TV.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Easton Dark said:
putowtin said:
Scars Unseen said:
My best friend Charlie passed away on the 10th of June, she would have loved to have seen this ending, she would have loved the sense of closure that this gave that the original ending lacked. However she's now chilling with Hendrix and Da Vinci (two of her heros), though knowing Charlie she's probably bending their ears with the "Indoctrination Theory"
Is that true? The mental image is funny, but I don't want to be laughing if it's true.
It's true, but Charlie would have approved of laughter, we all had to wear hawaiian shirts for her funeral!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
putowtin said:
It's true, but Charlie would have approved of laughter, we all had to wear hawaiian shirts for her funeral!
Aw. I'm sorry. I'm sure Da Vinci finds the prospects of faster than light travel to be very interesting.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
still not sure its worth my money <.<

Fact i have to pay extra for a plot point even after i bought new really does not sit well with me. How dare they sell me an incomplete game at full price and have the balls to charge me extra for the rest of it!

Threkki

Jul 22, 2010
DT you do realise it is free right, meaning you don't have to pay anyone anything for it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Easton Dark said:
putowtin said:
Aw. I'm sorry. I'm sure Da Vinci finds the prospects of faster than light travel to be very interesting.
He probably invented it!