BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1416/1416332.jpgIt sounds like the Dragon Age team is ramping up for a sequel to Inquisition.

Let's be honest: We've all been expecting a sequel to Dragon Age: Inquisition for a while. While some rumors have bounced around, there's been little in the way of official confirmation. That changed on this weeks' episode of The 1099 Podcast [https://soundcloud.com/the1099/episode-98-mike-laidlaw-on-how-dragon-age-is-made-and-the-probability-of-jade-empire-2].

On that episode, Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw said that "something is happening with Dragon Age." He didn't offer specifics about what that "something" might be, but he did go on to confirm that the Dragon Age team at Bioware is "hiring a lot of people."

Laidlaw also vaguely mentioned that Bioware was working on "other things" as well. "There are other things in process but unfortunately I can't talk about them until they are realized. I am pretty excited about a few of them. Things continue apace," he said. "As I've jokingly said, I am the creative director for the Dragon Age franchise and they haven't fired me yet."

When it launched, Dragon Age: Inquisition sold fairly well, in fact, it was the most successful launch in Bioware history at the time. Despite some problems with the PC controls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138971-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Patch-2-Fixes-PC-Controls], it went on to win several Game of the Year awards. So it should be no surprise that there's a new game in the series being made.

There are still no specifics, but if you're a Dragon Age fan, you definitely have something to look forward to.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Hopefully using a different team then Andromeda. They've basically killed one franchise, let's see if they plan to kill another.

LTD

Jun 20, 2015
"Welp, we killed Mass Effect deader than a doornail. Let's fire up Dragon Age again, see if we have better luck this time."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Something is happening with Dragon Age, EA have made us hand it over to another studio, who are going to spend five years and tens of millions of dollars making a game nobody likes, it's going to sell horribly, kill the franchise and the studio will get closed, it's going to be great guys!

Perhaps I am a little jaded when it comes announcement srevolving around EA franchises.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I'm actually interested how the new lead writer will do things, he wrote some of the best characters and missions in the Mass Effect games, but sadly one writer isn't enough to carry a game.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
Makes sense. Inquisition's DLC pretty much confirmed a sequel anyway.

Samtemdo8 said:
Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?
It's gonna take place in Nevarra unless I'm mistaken. Aka Notspain.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Dalsyne said:
Makes sense. Inquisition's DLC pretty much confirmed a sequel anyway.

Samtemdo8 said:
Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?
No, it was in Tevinter. Aka Evil Mages Empire.

Regardless, I hope they ditch their open world. It was horrible in Dragon Age Inquistion and slightly less horrible in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I've always preferred Dragon Age to Mass Effect, but after ME:Andromeda I think that series has much more potential, narrative and lore wise in terms of 'what happens next'. Still, as hugely flawed as DA:I was I still loved its characters and culture/s, and so another trip to Thedas is always good.

dragongit said:
Hopefully using a different team then Andromeda. They've basically killed one franchise, let's see if they plan to kill another.
Hyperbole on teh internetz?! Why I never!

Day1 release state aside (hence why I was smart and waited till several patches had been rolled out), there was nothing particularly bad about ME:A at all (I felt it turned out to be one of BioWare's best). ME:A replicated so much of DA:I's structure and design, yet did it well - so if it would be the same team then they can improve on the formula again (if they insist on doing the semi open-world thing again).

Dalsyne said:
Why do you say Nevarra? Surely Trespasser pointed towards Tevinter? I suppose it could be interpreted as only indicating where the Inquisitor and their remaining companions would be heading next, but to me ending a whole game on that note surely points towards the sequel's eventual location, not the current game's protagonist.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I never even beat Inquisition. Like, 80 hours on it with multiple saves. It's just so damn exhausting.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
Hyperbole on teh internetz?! Why I never!

so if it would be the same team then they can improve on the formula again (if they insist on doing the semi open-world thing again).
One thing that is for certain is that it won't be the same team that made Andromeda, since EA closed the studio and is in the process of bumping the staff around to other projects.

EA also stated they were 'shelving' Mass Effect as a franchise, so whilst Andromeda's merits as a game are better than the response it got, it did prompt EA to kill the franchise.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
"We're turning Dragon Age into another soulless MMO! I mean, the worlds were already vast and empty, your decisions already made barely any difference what so ever, and our characters are bland and pointless. What I'm saying is it was already an MMO, we're just adding always online requirements! Aren't you excited? We're excited!"

Nope. Not excited. I loved DA:O, and I played through DA2 several times and quite enjoyed it despite the outrage. DA:I was Assassins Creed: Dungeons and Dragons Edition. I honestly don't believe Bioware even knows what people who played DA:O want anymore. Hint: Witcher 3 was what we wanted, but with a character creator.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Why would anyone want that shitty combat system?

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
Cether said:
"We're turning Dragon Age into another soulless MMO! I mean, the worlds were already vast and empty, your decisions already made barely any difference what so ever, and our characters are bland and pointless. What I'm saying is it was already an MMO, we're just adding always online requirements! Aren't you excited? We're excited!"

Nope. Not excited. I loved DA:O, and I played through DA2 several times and quite enjoyed it despite the outrage. DA:I was Assassins Creed: Dungeons and Dragons Edition. I honestly don't believe Bioware even knows what people who played DA:O want anymore. Hint: Witcher 3 was what we wanted, but with a character creator.
I don't know who you're speaking for, but that's not what I want at all. I love the Witcher 3, but I definitely don't want that gameplay for my Dragon Age games. Now, they could take some pointers on how the Witcher sidequests worked. Sidequests that actually feel like you are making a difference and have strong characters. But gameplay wise, I enjoy how the Dragon Age games work, I just wish the tactical mode had been better.

RealRT said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Why would anyone want that shitty combat system?
Personally, I feel it's dated and not really popular anymore, I don't really mind that kind of gameplay. It's just that you usually see it from an isometric point of view. But on the topic of where things should take place, hell no. God Ferelden is so boring. I welcome even the hopes that it will take place somewhere as complex and interesting as Tevinter. Also, maybe we'll get to learn even more about the Qunari and the Qun since they are always at war with the Vints.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Based on what happened in Tresspasser, I'd say we're going to the Tevinter Imperium.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
One thing that is for certain is that it won't be the same team that made Andromeda, since EA closed the studio and is in the process of bumping the staff around to other projects.
Can you find a source for it closing the studio, as opposed to moving some people elsewhere and making BioWare Montreal a 'support' studio? Because those two things are not the same thing, and the latter's what the reports and EA indicated.

EA also stated they were 'shelving' Mass Effect as a franchise, so whilst Andromeda's merits as a game are better than the response it got, it did prompt EA to kill the franchise.
Well, no... As far as I know, and according to EA's statement, due to the above a sequel won't be going into production. They said absolutely nothing about 'killing' or ending any IP.

Was ME:A's peculiarly amateurish launch responsible for ME going on a hiatus? Sure, but again, that's not at all the same thing. If this all results in the next ME having a longer dev cycle and - more importantly - a cogent roadmap from the outset, then ultimately everyone will be thankful ME5 isn't going into production any time soon.

Cether said:
Gimme Thedas over Witcher's world [and characters] any day of the week, but maybe that's just me.

Did you play ME:Andromeda? That 'fixed' pretty much all of DA:I's glaring flaws, at least in terms of gameflow and structure (I liked ME:A's cast well enough, but DA:I's were - to me - superior, as was the vast majority of character narrative writing). Regardless of who may end up working on the next DA, there's a great template for them to iterate from if they insist on keeping a similar overall structure (though I'd rather they did something more conceptually ambitious and smaller scale like DAII).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Only without the retarded AI. And make it more than brown. Another area is okay with me too, but I don't mind Ferelden. Then I'm good.

CatsAttackAgain

Jul 14, 2010
I don't think the devs should even bother pretending their games will be good. They should just announce the game a week before release and say something like "it's finished I guess".

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Based on what happened in Tresspasser, I'd say we're going to the Tevinter Imperium.
Given how little the developers cared for continuity in the previous installments of that series, they probably ignore whatever they hinted at in the DLC and set the next game on the moon.