BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age"

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Please no more shovelware fetchquests in your huge empty open world a l? DA:I. I was a huge fan of DA:O and DAII, huge fan of the lore, but I couldn't get myself to play DA:I past getting your..castle..or whatever. Because the game is bloated and boring. So boring.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
RealRT said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?
Why would anyone want that shitty combat system?
I dunno, I found the auto-attack to be a savoir from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Cool. Looking forward to finally seeing Tevinter from the inside and finding out that--surprise, surprise--Dorian was right and the place isn't just filled with evil mustache-twirling crazy mages, but is in fact a far more complicated society than what we've been told.

But I better get some answers this time, BioWare. Dragon Age II: Legacy hinted at some MAJOR stuff, and then when we found out who the villain was in Inquisition, I was all set for pieces to start falling into place, but you pulled the rug out from under my feet about two hours before the end of the game. I'm pretty sure the Tevintar Old Gods were just the Elf Gods trying to free themselves after everything from Trespasser, but I'm getting tired of having all these little bits of knowledge dangled in front of me. It's been four games. Throw us some bones already.

Also, pull the focus back in, as many have said. Inquisition was too big, too padded with nothing. Tighten up the story and the quests, like in Origins and (kind of) in II.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?
Just play Origins over and over again. Let's not repeat ourselves.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Well, so long as they actually assign people who know how to manage a project to the team, I'm down for it. Despite Inquisition over-staying it's welcome with far, far, far too many side-quests and gigantic-arse maps that you out-level through the story missions, I did quite enjoy it.

...maybe don't put multiplayer in this one though. Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer? That was fun. Inquisitions? Painfully dull.

Samtemdo8 said:
...wait, someone actually liked Origins combat? How? Why?

(well ok as unbalanced as the mages were it was a fun tactical battle system, but still)

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
On a slightly related note, the capitalization typo in the title makes it look like you're calling them "Bloware."

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Gibbagobba said:
On a slightly related note, the capitalization typo in the title makes it look like you're calling them "Bloware."
That's a typo? And there I was hoping that The Escapist was growing some balls.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wrex Brogan said:
Well, so long as they actually assign people who know how to manage a project to the team, I'm down for it. Despite Inquisition over-staying it's welcome with far, far, far too many side-quests and gigantic-arse maps that you out-level through the story missions, I did quite enjoy it.

...maybe don't put multiplayer in this one though. Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer? That was fun. Inquisitions? Painfully dull.

Samtemdo8 said:

(well ok as unbalanced as the mages were it was a fun tactical battle system, but still)
I remember there being a mage spell in Origins that immediately destroyed opposing mages. If you didn't get it, fights were way more difficult. Having enemies mages being so overpowered was not enjoyable.

I also remember being way overpowered for the final fight in Origins. Like 10 levels. It was trivial.

I'd like a decent villain. The part of DA2 I liked was the factions and their leaders being the villains. Its not a big bad going on rampant world destruction - its just a bunch of people trying to survive and keep the world safe. But, since its Bioware, who are aren't well known for making villains be (or remain) good, I don't have faith. (Think Saverok, who was never good, or the Repears, who seems badass but ended up being a mess.)

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
PC exclusive would be preferable, but not financially feasible.

As for the other two requests, I'd rather not have bland, painfully slow tedium taking place in Generic_Fantasy_Country_01, thanks.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
trunkage said:
Wrex Brogan said:

Samtemdo8 said:

I remember there being a mage spell in Origins that immediately destroyed opposing mages. If you didn't get it, fights were way more difficult. Having enemies mages being so overpowered was not enjoyable.

I also remember being way overpowered for the final fight in Origins. Like 10 levels. It was trivial.

I'd like a decent villain. The part of DA2 I liked was the factions and their leaders being the villains. Its not a big bad going on rampant world destruction - its just a bunch of people trying to survive and keep the world safe. But, since its Bioware, who are aren't well known for making villains be (or remain) good, I don't have faith. (Think Saverok, who was never good, or the Repears, who seems badass but ended up being a mess.)
Hilariously enough, because Origins was really weirdly programmed, you were probably 10 levels higher than the final boss - the way the game worked was that enemy levels would scale to a minimum when you first enter the area, but for some reason the final boss area was tied to Denarim, which you first hit at like... level 5. So the ultimate final boss is stuck at level 16 while you come busting in waaay overleveled and overgeared for what he was offering.

In short, it was a really fucking dumb scaling system.

And yeah, some solid villains would be nice this time. I liked Loghain in the first one as an antagonist, and the murky politics and factions of 2 were pretty solid, but the third one was a bit... meh. A shame since I thought Corypheus was actually an interesting character lore-wise, but as a main-stay villain he just... was far too generic dark lord.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wrex Brogan said:
Hilariously enough, because Origins was really weirdly programmed, you were probably 10 levels higher than the final boss - the way the game worked was that enemy levels would scale to a minimum when you first enter the area, but for some reason the final boss area was tied to Denarim, which you first hit at like... level 5. So the ultimate final boss is stuck at level 16 while you come busting in waaay overleveled and overgeared for what he was offering.

In short, it was a really fucking dumb scaling system.

And yeah, some solid villains would be nice this time. I liked Loghain in the first one as an antagonist, and the murky politics and factions of 2 were pretty solid, but the third one was a bit... meh. A shame since I thought Corypheus was actually an interesting character lore-wise, but as a main-stay villain he just... was far too generic dark lord.
Corypheus was cool in DA2 DLC right? That's what I remember. And he was then boring in DA3. How did that happen? (I not willing to replay DA2 to find out)

I did forget about the Architect. He was pretty cool.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I've never managed to get further in Inquisition than outside of the opening area. Shame really as I bought all the DLC in a sale.

The controls were terrible, slightly better with a controller but only slightly. If the character didn't come from Dragon Age II then Bioware didn't bother to spend time making them recognisable, it was really quite off-putting to hear a familiar voice coming from an unfamiliar face.

I could go on for a while but I'd better stop. I loved Origins, I could tolerate DAII for the character banter, but Inquisition doesn't even appeal on any level.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
trunkage said:
Corypheus was cool in DA2 DLC right? That's what I remember. And he was then boring in DA3. How did that happen? (I not willing to replay DA2 to find out)

I did forget about the Architect. He was pretty cool.
I think it's just a case of motivation and presence - in the DLC he didn't really have any motivation, but he was just so deeply connected to the lore about the Darkspawn and such a powerful figure that he became interesting. Here we had one of the first Magisters, who'd broken into the Golden City and now seemed to be half-Darkspawn, who was a god damn brutal boss fight through his sheer magical power. There was so many ways it could go, so many different threads and stories that could be explored through him.

...and then in DA3, he's just... a generic villain. He has barely any presence in the story, his motivations make little sense and all the interesting threads had been suddenly and viciously dropped without a word. He's not connected to the lore or the Darkspawn, has very little to do with Tevinter, and showcases little of the power he had in the DLC (where, mind, he had just been freshly awoken) with his boss fight here being laughably easy. He's just so... poorly presented throughout the whole game.

There also wasn't any moral depth to him. He was just... evil. Loghain was complex. The Architect was complex. Hell, the DA2 villains were complex, and had clear motivations and sympathetic viewpoints that changed until they were antagonists. But Corypheus is just... evil. A Bad Guy. No depth, no complexity, no sympathetic motivations outside a single line at the end of his boss fight. Just a straight out of the box Generic Evil Overlord with a standardized 'Kill 'Em All' brand Evil Plan. Rather boring, really.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Inquisition was gorgeous to look at (especially the last zone of the Trespasser DLC), but an absolute chore to play through, at some points.

If BioWare can learn from its mistakes with DA:I and ME:A, we'll hopefully have a good game on our hands, but if they just pull a post-ME2 BioWare and just fuck everything up, I think Dragon Age will be shelved "indefinitely", too.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Janichsan said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Based on what happened in Tresspasser, I'd say we're going to the Tevinter Imperium.
Given how little the developers cared for continuity in the previous installments of that series, they probably ignore whatever they hinted at in the DLC and set the next game on the moon.
Ooooh, I've always wanted to fight a dragon on the Moon.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
TT Kairen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PC exclusive would be preferable, but not financially feasible.

As for the other two requests, I'd rather not have bland, painfully slow tedium taking place in Generic_Fantasy_Country_01, thanks.
Than go play your lovecraftian flesh planet RPG with little historical depth if you think Generic Fantasy Country is boring :p

I am sorry but I love the gameplay of Origins. We have plenty of Real-Time Combat RPGs already. Did no one here backed the Kickstarter for Pillers of Eternity and Wasteland 2?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:

Samtemdo8 said:

Because that is what I played it for, Tactical Pause and Play RPG combat ala Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights.

I don't want Mass Effect with Swords.