Bioware should listen to Gabe Newell

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Biowares problem in my eyes is that they're TOO eager to listen to feedback which can be just as dangerous as ignoring it completely. The example was the Mako alot of people complained about the Mako (I personally REALLY enjoyed it. Offroading on the moon?! Hell yeah sign me up) but people wanted it removed completely because they're not game designers. A crowd especially massive internet crowds usually tend to settle closer to two extremes because "hey i want my voice heard and in this thread this guy is saying something in all caps and poor grammar that is similar to my own feeling so I can relate to so I'll take up his torch and pitch fork too!!" When they haven't really thought about what exactly they didn't like. Sure you'll get well reasoned voices but the chorus of the internet tends to sing together over extremes not well reasoned particulars. So that's why you get "REMOVE THE MAKO!" loudest and not "the Mako was fine in theory but it's execution could of been better if you just did 'A' 'B' and 'C'." So as game designers BioWare shouldn't panic over the loudest voices and instead try to understand what their real problems are from negative feedback. Or even ignore it if they think it compromises the atmosphere they're going for. I myself felt that Mass Effect 2 seemed smaller without the Mako to fatten it up with strange alien worlds to go offroading on.

Also how cool was the scene where the Mako went through the Mass Effect relay to get to the Citadel?

It's like my wife, sure i missed the turn which she pointed out with screaming and panic for no good reason but between the two choices of frantically cranking the wheel left and and hitting the curb a lamp post and a few pedestrians or just going down the street to make the next left and get back on track there. Which is the better option really?

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Zen Toombs said:
Casey Hudson hasn't been acting as smart as he is, no question. I will point out that Bioware is planning on releasinga bit of ending content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116661-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated], which could possibly help with the many criticisms.

While I'm not very optimistic about this, this free DLC could take care of some or all of the problems with the Mass Effect ending.
True that they're making it free which I am grateful for (plus the fans can't rage over free DLC, because if Bioware did charge for DLC.. ha, they'd be drowning by now with far more heat then they could bear.) but I am actually quite upset by the article within your link. No no, not the Escapist article- the Bioware one where they're saying how proud they are of the ending because it's their artistic viewpoint.

I am calling them out on that. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.363190-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated?page=5#14230106]
Calling out accepted.

I will say that it seems to me that regardless of the situation, from a PR perspective Bioware feels that they need to defend the ending. It was still unwise though.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
If this is just another stem on the whole ending "crisis" then please dont quote me.

But, if Gabey baby does listen to what the fans want, then HL3 would have been out years ago instead of numerous tf2 hats.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
endtherapture said:
I liked the inventory and old weapons mod system - half the fun for me is finding new stuff, swapping it out, and finding the best layout and stuff. ME2 failed that because you just gave everyone the best gun they could have instead of actually thinking.
Loot systems are fun, no doubt about that, they can turn a bland hack 'n slash tower defense hybrid into an absurdly addicting game (ala, Dungeon Defenders). And I sure do miss my sniper rifle from ME1 that fired high explosive grenades, but that isn't the reason anyone played Mass Effect.

As I've said before the core RPG elements are in the story and character interaction, not the combat. I'd rather the combat be smooth and enjoyable then a total chore to trudge through because they spent too much time working on a bad inventory system, and not enough on making the combat work and the environments unique.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
wooty said:
If this is just another stem on the whole ending "crisis" then please dont quote me.
Actually it stems from all of Bioware's recent failings where feedback from fans was not considered.