BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
ZeroMachine said:
Brad Shepard said:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

What parts? She wrote most of the Dwarven stuff, which was all fantastic, IMO.

Not to mention, as so many people like to disregard, she has NOTHING to do with Mass Effect.
never said she did.
Ok, fair enough. Mind answering my other question?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
As much as those people are fucking morons, he shouldn't have come out and said it. But yeah, it is cute that we want our community to be taken seriously when stuff like this is still happening.
Huh? Of course he should have. They're a bunch of cunts. It should be highlighted, and as many people as possible should condemn them for it.
I know they are, but he needs to show professionalism.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
As much as those people are fucking morons, he shouldn't have come out and said it. But yeah, it is cute that we want our community to be taken seriously when stuff like this is still happening.
Huh? Of course he should have. They're a bunch of cunts. It should be highlighted, and as many people as possible should condemn them for it.
I fail to see how backing your own member of staff, who has been subjected to an inordinate amount of online abuse, is unprofessional.

That is practically the definition of professionalism.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
These snotty little entitled brats disgust me I can only hope this is just a phase and they grow the fuck up.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I fail to see how backing your own member of staff, who has been subjected to an inordinate amount of online abuse, is unprofessional.

That is practically the definition of professional.
This is like working in customer support. It doesn't matter if a customer is yelling at you and being as obnoxious as possible, you never stoop down to their level. He could have defended her without calling someone a fucking moron.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You seem to have missed the part where she fanned the flames by retorting to her detractors. Honestly, this is a situation where I just hate everyone involved. Responding to torrents of bile with the phrase "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." is just asking for trouble.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

This is like working in customer support. It doesn't matter if a customer is yelling at you and being as obnoxious as possible, you never stoop down to their level. He could have defended her without calling someone a fucking moron.
Oh, well we're talking about two different people.

Anyway, having looked at the Tweets of the one you're on about, it's fine to me. They're personal attacks to him and the woman, and they were interacting directly with him on his personal Twitter.

The difference between that and customer support is that customer support is quite clearly a work environment.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
as a Male, who could you be gay with?
My misstake, I assumed Garrus but forgot I was playing femShep:p, but I know femShep can be gay in both 1 and 2, why should maleShep be different?

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
Just a little note to all of you people, who were gleefuly a part of this little campaign (and I know you guys will come visit this to see this, heck you probably won't be able to resist responding to this post I bet considering what an utter lack of self-control you have)

*snip retarded scree*
See, the nice thing about The Escapist is that it is where the grown ups come to discuss things. As of my post there is NOT ONE SINGLE COMMENT AGAINST THIS WOMAN. Who are you talking to? Are you just insane?

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

Oh, well we're talking about two different people.

Anyway, having looked at the Tweets of the one you're on about, it's fine to me. They're personal attacks to him and the woman, and they were interacting directly with him on his personal Twitter.

The difference between that and customer support is that customer support is quite clearly a work environment.
Lets agree to disagree. Idiots were idiots, but they only fanned the flames by lashing back.

Feb 13, 2008
You know what I wouldn't do?

Walk into the middle of the Harry Potter fandom and say "So, Harry Potter's gay then?"

So why are you even surprised that when you poke the internet, it releases the hate machine?

It's the internet. Lots of other people have had far more abuse. Rebecca Black for one, Charlie Brooker for another; wanna guess how many death threats Piers Morgan gets daily?

Is it right? No. Does responding to it increase the problem? Oh hell yes.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think with a little work you could probably create a Java or Flash app that would have a pretty good chance of allowing you to quickly form your own Internet Torch-bearing Mob.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Walk into the middle of the Harry Potter fandom and say "So, Harry Potter's gay then?"

No, you would do that to Dumbledore.

Joking aside, this isn't about stopping people from posting bullshit. Bioware sure as hell don't have the kind of divine influence to do that. It was about making a statement:they don't think this kind of shit is okay, and they are going to stand by their writers. I think it had more to do with helping Hepler then anything else.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
You seem to have missed the part where she fanned the flames by retorting to her detractors. Honestly, this is a situation where I just hate everyone involved. Responding to torrents of bile with the phrase "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." is just asking for trouble.
Haha. That quote is made of pure awesome. I refuse to go and read this stuff - having more stimulating things to do like scraping my callouses. So thanks for bringing that wee gem over here. Best laugh of the week.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Brad Shepard said:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

Wow, there were so many things wrong with that sentence. A series that started off by advertising lesbian sex and it's a bad move that they appeal to women who like guy on guy action...the Hell?

OT: The guy is getting flamed like Hell...I don't really feel sorry for him.

Feb 13, 2008
PureIrony said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

No, you would do that to Dumbledore.

Joking aside, this isn't about stopping people from posting bullshit. Bioware sure as hell don't have the kind of divine influence to do that. It was about making a statement:they don't think this kind of shit is okay, and they are going to stand by their writers. I think it had more to do with helping Hepler then anything else.
My concern is that this sort of thing happens every day, but it's only Hepler that we hear about. That smacks more of a press release than anything else.

There have been a lot of quotes attributed to her over the years, and the whole idea that the picture - her interview - and all her collected "quotes" were gathered together seems mightily suspect; as if this was orchestrated.

By who? No clue. But I've seen a lot of 'net rage in my time, and this whole situation smells bad to me. Maybe it's just catching the trolls at their worst, but if you are "living the dream", it doesn't make sense to slag off the dreamers - even in their own minds.

See what happened when Kotick said that he did play games? Same reaction.

But, a 5 year old interview pops up at the same time as she opens a Twitter account? Consider me skeptical.

Bossman has done the right thing for her - and the rage against her is exactly what you'd expect from anyone who's spawn camped in any FPS - but something about it feels very wrong.

The Globalizer

May 9, 2011
Certainly not defending the commenters, but I think software devs need thicker skin, too. Internet trolling comes with the territory. This showy "anti-bullying" crap is a bit eyerolling, IMO.

Love Mass Effect series so at the end of the day, whatevs.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't much like her writing either, but holy fuck, this whole thing is just stupid. This isn't even taking into account all of the sexist shit that was hurled her way, which was most of the insults.

And for the record, I think we should have a "fast forward through gameplay" feature as well. Especially for Bioware games. Since the gameplay in most of Bioware's games is shit and/or boring as hell.