BioWare Working With Fallen London Creators on Secret Project

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
BioWare Working With Fallen London Creators on Secret Project

The Fallen London team has something in the works for BioWare, which should be very good news if you like story-based games.

Failbetter Games and BioWare are working on something together. If you haven't heard of Failbetter, it's the creative force behind Fallen London, an interactive-fiction browser game with some brilliant writing. If you haven't heard of BioWare, I don't believe you; the studio has created several of the most memorable stories in gaming. And now they're coming together in some kind of partnership? You should probably be excited - Failbetter certainly is.

"Keeping secrets doesn't come naturally to us," Failbetter co-founder Alexis Kennedy writes in a blog post that spills the beans on this new development. "But for the last year, on and off, we've been working in absolute secrecy on a project for a much larger company. When we've got quiet for no obvious reason, it's because we've been heads-down on this." Though Kennedy's enthusiasm is palpable, the nature of the project is still under wraps.

After the success of Fallen London, Failbetter launched the StoryNexus system for others to create their own interactive worlds. Could there be a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game in development using that system? Or something new entirely? We can't do much more than wonder at this point, but whatever's coming, expect it to have some rock-solid writing.

Of course, both studios will be reaping the benefits of this project. "I'm just glad to see BioWare getting to share our limelight," Kennedy tweeted [https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/statuses/438352372780498944]. "It's hard for them being such an obscure niche developer."

Source: Failbetter [http://www.failbettergames.com/?p=1433]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting news, I'm actually hoping it will be more along the lines of Bioware doing a new IP based on "Fallen London" or some Failbetter's other works though, rather than Failbetter making interactive fiction based on Bioware IPs. After both "Dragon Age 2" and "Mass Effect 3" I've kind of lost a lot of faith in Bioware's writing quality and I'm sort of hoping they realize this and are bringing someone in that is somewhat free of the taint of EA's involvement to help balance them out, perhaps letting them "contract out" certain things will cause EA to mess things up less somehow. That said I imagine it's most likely that what we're actually about to see is one of EA's lovecraftian tentacles reach out and ensnare Failbetter before it fully has a chance to bloom, dragging it screaming down into the murk before it can ever achieve anything lasting for the mainstream... pre-emptively snuffing a potential light of hope. :)

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
That quote at the end gave me some giggles

...Maybe Bioware is making a game set in Fallen London?

Edit: Ninja'd

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Which Bioware studio though... The one that makes Dragon Ages? The one that makes Mass effects? The one that makes Star Warses? or perhaps some kind of newly acquired EA studio with the Bioware name slapped on it?

Interested, but very sceptical of it being anything at all fantastic.

Edit: Bioware Edmonton apparently! So my thought is that it will most likely be a browser game to accompany the release of Dragon age III.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, this sounds very interesting. With so few details out it's hard to really say where any of it is going, but I'm definitely excited to see.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Lenny Magic said:
Interested, but very sceptical of it being anything at all fantastic.

Edit: Bioware Edmonton apparently! So my thought is that it will most likely be a browser game to accompany the release of Dragon age III.
Well at least they went to the right people, Fallen London is a browser game but it's also really, really cool.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
This is one thing I feel shows the immaturity of the games industry. Stop being so coy about everything.
God, so immature about not being forward about stuff that's not even announced yet because it's nowhere near done. JESUS. BE MORE LIKE MOV-- T-- BOO-- FUCK

SHIT

UGH

SCREW IT.

OT:
Yay. I think. I should probably go see what that other game is, although I kept hearing about it so much I decided it's not worth a listen. Who's BioWar anyway. Dargon Age?

Ass Effect 2?

I don't know if I trust those guys. I think they're too small of a studio.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
This is what we're doing, here's the premise, this is what we're hoping for. They're more interested in doing 'exclusivity' deals for trailers than anything. Yes, I find that to be immature for an 'industry' and backwards.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Breaking news:

I just started drooling on my keyboard... more at ten!

But seriously, two very talented teams working togehter on something that could possibly have something to do with either Mass Effect or Dragon Age?

Waiter! New keyboard please!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Bioware are involved, so EA are involved so it will likely be crap and filled with monetization. Nothing worth seeing here, IMO

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I thought that Fallen London lost a lot of fans when they tried to get more money out of their players? Huh, guess not.