Bioware's New IP is Shared-World Action-RPG Anthem

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It seems to be Destiny meets Warframe by way of Bioware.

So...it'll essentially be Destiny with unnecessarily verbose item descriptions and mission logs, and Biowares unique brand of clunky combat and shitty controls?

Mmm, yeah. Not sold on this...

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Looks neat, for what it is.

Bioware is well and truly lost to us RPG folk though...so long live Obsidian and Larian, I suppose.

Not so much Bethesda anymore. They know what they did.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"The long-awaited new Bioware IP has been revealed"

long-awaited..., I haven't been waiting for something from BW since ME3. And that ME Andromeda ia already 50% off in the current EA sales on Origin, speaks volumes.

and this one does not rub me one bit either, Titanfall 2 on the other hand....

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
What I always think when I see these games is why wouldn't I just play Warframe? It's pretty much guaranteed to have better movement, melee combat and gun play since the devs have had so much time to work on it?

Admittedly there is still alot of room for improvement in Warframe, but it's free and the devs arn't just going to abandon it the second it starts doing badly.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
If the final product was actually this, but also with a compelling story, then it'd be a masterpiece. Sadly I doubt either of those will be the case.

Also,
"Let's do that later with Kim!"
"Yeah, he could use the XP"

Kim is the highest level among them o.0

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
So is the Dragon Age Bioware, the Old Republic Bioware, or the Andromeda Bioware? I lost track when half the original team left and they gave the name to three different studios.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Teased since 2014, from the developers of Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect and Dragon Age comes: an utterly generic psuedo-MMO that a more competent developer could've shat out by now. $300 for the Collector's Edition, please.

Mar 26, 2008
Major_Tom said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
but SP or GTFO.
This. I couldn't give less of a fuck for another one of those pointless multiplayer shooters.
That was their first mistake - assuming I have friends I actually want to play with. Their second was making a game that has already been done in part.

And here I was hoping for another Dragon's Age. Although seeing the way things are going I'd probably need three randoms to play other characters that interfere with my story.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Seems really weird to put the singleplayer RPG team on the multiplayer shooter, and then put the multiplayer team on the singleplayer RPG, but whatever.

I dunno. The game looks pretty, and the flying looks fun, but overall, it really depends on how restrictive it is. If it is surrounded by "Nope, cant go there walls", then it will just be a pointless feature that looks cool, but nothing more.

Gonna be hard for Anthem to break into the MMO shoot-'em-up loot-'em-up genre, that is currently dominated by Destiny. Risky. I hope this doesn't spell the end for BioWare.

Also, Anthem is a terrible name.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, disclaimer that I don't even like the look of Anthem that much, but fine, I'll play Devil's Advocate:

LostGryphon said:
Bioware is well and truly lost to us RPG folk though...
Being pedantic, Anthem IS classified as an ARPG, and BioWare has made non-RPG games before (Shattered Steel & MDK2). I'm guessing that this is more EA mandating BioWare develop something to compete with Destiny, but in principle, if a creator/group of creators want to branch outside their comfort zone, who am I to stop them?

Auron225 said:
If the final product was actually this, but also with a compelling story, then it'd be a masterpiece.
Drew Karpyshyn of Mass Effect/Star Wars fame is involved in the writing, so there is that.

Laggyteabag said:
Also, Anthem is a terrible name.
That's the one thing I disagree with though. "Anthem" as a name is...fine. Simple, easy to remember, invokes...something, I guess. Don't find it any more generic than other titles across fiction.